mailing list question?

Li Chen

12/3/2006 3:51:00 PM

Hi all,

I just join another list at ruby-talk. I send the post to the following
address only

ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org

But they all appear in someone else post. How to avoid this problem?

Thanks,

Li

Robert Klemme

On 03.12.2006 16:50, Li Chen wrote:
> I just join another list at ruby-talk. I send the post to the following
> address only
>
> ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
>
> But they all appear in someone else post. How to avoid this problem?

Do you mean they are inserted into other threads? Do you use the reply
function of your mail client or do you create a new message from
scratch? In case the latter we might have another issue with the mail
<-> news gateway.

Kind regards

robert

Li Chen

--- Robert Klemme <shortcutter@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 03.12.2006 16:50, Li Chen wrote:
> > I just join another list at ruby-talk. I send the
> post to the following
> > address only
> >
> > ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
> >
> > But they all appear in someone else post. How to
> avoid this problem?
>
> Do you mean they are inserted into other threads?
> Do you use the reply
> function of your mail client or do you create a new
> message from
> scratch? In case the latter we might have another
> issue with the mail
> <-> news gateway.
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

I use the reply function of my email and the outgoing
address is ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org.

Li

Robert Klemme

On 03.12.2006 17:59, chen li wrote:
> --- Robert Klemme <shortcutter@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 03.12.2006 16:50, Li Chen wrote:
>>> I just join another list at ruby-talk. I send the
>> post to the following
>>> address only
>>>
>>> ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
>>>
>>> But they all appear in someone else post. How to
>> avoid this problem?
>>
>> Do you mean they are inserted into other threads?
>> Do you use the reply
>> function of your mail client or do you create a new
>> message from
>> scratch? In case the latter we might have another
>> issue with the mail
>> <-> news gateway.
>>
> I use the reply function of my email and the outgoing
> address is ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org.

Well, there you go. Then of course your messages will appear in
whatever thread that you are replying to. If you want to start a new
thread you should start with a *new* message instead of replying to
another message - exchanging the subject does not help to prevent this.

robert

James Gray

On Dec 3, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:

> In case the latter we might have another issue with the mail <->
> news gateway.

The Gateway tries to maintain threading.

James Edward Gray II

Robert Klemme

On 03.12.2006 18:15, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:
>
>> In case the latter we might have another issue with the mail <-> news
>> gateway.
>
> The Gateway tries to maintain threading.

I did not expect anything different. :-) However, it seems the gateway
is not at fault - instead Chen Li seems to be using "reply" instead of
"new message" (see the other postings).

Kind regards

robert