javra

Is there any programme or library in ruby to drive own hardware via
USB? Or do I have to implement my own C functions?

2 Answers

Paul Lutus

javra wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there any programme or library in ruby to drive own hardware via
> USB? Or do I have to implement my own C functions?

Ruby doesn't have the sort of close-to-the-hardware functions to do this
sort of thing, also Ruby programs are "better" when designed to be
cross-platform, so a driver approach might work out better overall.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.ara...

vasudevram

Paul Lutus wrote:
> javra wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Is there any programme or library in ruby to drive own hardware via
> > USB? Or do I have to implement my own C functions?
>
> Ruby doesn't have the sort of close-to-the-hardware functions to do this
> sort of thing, also Ruby programs are "better" when designed to be
> cross-platform, so a driver approach might work out better overall.
>
> --
> Paul Lutus
> http://www.ara...

javra:

Google for libusb.
The first two hits are for the *nix project and the Windows port of it.
Might help. You'd have to write a Ruby-C extension for it though.
Might turn out to be easier/faster than writing your own USB driver, if
that's what you meant.

HTH
Vasudev
Vasudev Ram
Dancing Bison Enterprises
Software products, consulting and training
http://www.dancin...
http://jugad.livej...
http://dancingbison.bl...