Gateway is malfunctioning

Trans

12/1/2006 3:23:00 AM

Someone recently mentioned missing posts. I just did a comparsion of
comp.lang.ruby and ruby-talk-google and indeed the usenet is missing
posts.

James you want to have a look at the gateway?

T.

28 Answers

Michael W. Ryder

Trans wrote:
> Someone recently mentioned missing posts. I just did a comparsion of
> comp.lang.ruby and ruby-talk-google and indeed the usenet is missing
> posts.
>
> James you want to have a look at the gateway?
>
> T.

I think someone mentioned earlier that the missing posts were mostly
those with HTML in them. Why the HTML posts are filtered out I do not know.

Vassilis Rizopoulos

Michael W. Ryder wrote:
> Trans wrote:
>> Someone recently mentioned missing posts. I just did a comparsion of
>> comp.lang.ruby and ruby-talk-google and indeed the usenet is missing
>> posts.
>> James you want to have a look at the gateway?
>>
>> T.
>>

> I think someone mentioned earlier that the missing posts were mostly
> those with HTML in them. Why the HTML posts are filtered out I do not
> know.
Not true. I had some missing posts (a couple misdated and a couple not)
and I only send text.
Cheers,
V.-

--
http://www.braveworl...

Ara.T.Howard

James Gray

On Nov 30, 2006, at 9:22 PM, Trans wrote:

> Someone recently mentioned missing posts. I just did a comparsion of
> comp.lang.ruby and ruby-talk-google and indeed the usenet is missing
> posts.

Here's the information I have on this currently:

* I rewrote the entire Gateway this last week, so anything before
that is history. The news-to-email side is already deployed. My
email-to-news code is complete, but not deployed. (Our SysAdmin will
get to it soon now.) If you raise issues, please make sure they are
recent.
* I now have very detailed logs on everything the Gateway does, so
please be specific. For example, tell me which messages are missing,
not just that they are.
* Our Usenet host does not allow us to post HTML emails. This is not
changing. (I'm not bothered by this because I do not believe anyone
should be sending HTML email to Ruby Talk.)
* Our Gateway is an NNTP <-> email Gateway. There has been at least
one instance of a Usenet post using ancient header formatting
predating NNTP. These messages are not supported.

> James you want to have a look at the gateway?

I will address individual issues, as long as they are aware of all
four points above.

James Edward Gray II

James Gray

On Dec 1, 2006, at 8:29 AM, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:

> are you in charge of this james?

I rewrote and now run the Ruby Gateway, yes.

James Edward Gray II

James Gray

On Dec 1, 2006, at 4:06 AM, Damphyr wrote:

> Not true. I had some missing posts (a couple misdated and a couple
> not) and I only send text.

Your posts appeared on one side of the Gateway (the Ruby Talk mailing
list or the Usenet group comp.lang.ruby), but did not reach the other
side? If so, please lead me to the posts on the side where they did
appear.

James Edward Gray II

Ara.T.Howard

James Gray

On Dec 1, 2006, at 9:39 AM, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:

>> * I now have very detailed logs on everything the Gateway does, so
>> please be specific. For example, tell me which messages are
>> missing, not just that they are.
>
> can't we automate this? monitor/scraper?

Probably not too meaningfully. Every Usenet host uses a different
system for numbering posts, so the numbers wouldn't be much help to
the outside world.

Besides, now that I understand the Gateway code intimately, I'm
hoping to get it robust enough to make problems rare.

>> * Our Usenet host does not allow us to post HTML emails. This is
>> not changing. (I'm not bothered by this because I do not believe
>> anyone should be sending HTML email to Ruby Talk.)

> | links -dump -stdin
> __html_2_text?__
>
> ??

I would much rather Ruby Talk rejected HTML emails. ;)

I think they are pure evil, so it will be hard to convince me to
spend much effort on them.

>> I will address individual issues, as long as they are aware of all
>> four points above.
>
> so... i have this rash... ;-)

<dies laughing>

OK... Gateway issues!

James Edward Gray II

Trans

James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2006, at 9:22 PM, Trans wrote:
>
> > Someone recently mentioned missing posts. I just did a comparsion of
> > comp.lang.ruby and ruby-talk-google and indeed the usenet is missing
> > posts.
>
> Here's the information I have on this currently:
>
> * I rewrote the entire Gateway this last week, so anything before
> that is history. The news-to-email side is already deployed. My
> email-to-news code is complete, but not deployed. (Our SysAdmin will
> get to it soon now.) If you raise issues, please make sure they are
> recent.
> * I now have very detailed logs on everything the Gateway does, so
> please be specific. For example, tell me which messages are missing,
> not just that they are.
> * Our Usenet host does not allow us to post HTML emails. This is not
> changing. (I'm not bothered by this because I do not believe anyone
> should be sending HTML email to Ruby Talk.)
> * Our Gateway is an NNTP <-> email Gateway. There has been at least
> one instance of a Usenet post using ancient header formatting
> predating NNTP. These messages are not supported.

Have a look at recent topic: Wisdom of including Rakefile in releases.
The 2nd post from Jason Roelofs appears to be missing.

T.

Robert Klemme

On 01.12.2006 17:05, Trans wrote:
> James Edward Gray II wrote:
>> On Nov 30, 2006, at 9:22 PM, Trans wrote:
>>
>>> Someone recently mentioned missing posts. I just did a comparsion of
>>> comp.lang.ruby and ruby-talk-google and indeed the usenet is missing
>>> posts.
>> Here's the information I have on this currently:
>>
>> * I rewrote the entire Gateway this last week, so anything before
>> that is history. The news-to-email side is already deployed. My
>> email-to-news code is complete, but not deployed. (Our SysAdmin will
>> get to it soon now.) If you raise issues, please make sure they are
>> recent.
>> * I now have very detailed logs on everything the Gateway does, so
>> please be specific. For example, tell me which messages are missing,
>> not just that they are.
>> * Our Usenet host does not allow us to post HTML emails. This is not
>> changing. (I'm not bothered by this because I do not believe anyone
>> should be sending HTML email to Ruby Talk.)
>> * Our Gateway is an NNTP <-> email Gateway. There has been at least
>> one instance of a Usenet post using ancient header formatting
>> predating NNTP. These messages are not supported.
>
> Have a look at recent topic: Wisdom of including Rakefile in releases.
> The 2nd post from Jason Roelofs appears to be missing.

I do not see *any* posting of Jason on the news side and only a single
posting on the email side:

<quote>
Rakefiles allow users to run the tests for themselves, to understand how a
library is put together, etc. The only thing that can go wrong is that the
stuff doesn't work (unless you're grabbing very untrustworthy packages, but
assumptions have to be made somewhere). Not to mention, having the Rakefile
there allows other people to properly make changes to a library if / when
they need to.

I don't see anything bad with including said Rakefiles. Do you have any
specific worries?
</quote>

Cheers

robert