[OT] Overwhelmed by emails

Daniel DeLorme

11/30/2006 1:44:00 AM

This list has way too many messages for the amount of free time I have. Does
someone, by any chance, know of email software with filtering (bayesian,
user-based, etc) to help you ferret out the interesting stuff? Kind of like
reverse spam: find the most interesting out of a mass of legit messages.

Daniel

11 Answers

dblack

Devin Mullins

Daniel DeLorme wrote:
> This list has way too many messages for the amount of free time I have.
> Does someone, by any chance, know of email software with filtering
> (bayesian, user-based, etc) to help you ferret out the interesting
> stuff? Kind of like reverse spam: find the most interesting out of a
> mass of legit messages.

Hrm... ruby-talk has web mirrors at
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/ruby/ruby-talk/i... and
http://www.ruby-forum.c.... Perhaps you could work up a system
using http://www.trynt.com/trynt-google-pag... or something, but
a few random guesses on my part had it showing up 0 for everything...

Devin

Tom Reilly

If you use Mozilla, simply sort the subjects, then look at the ones you
want. Then use ^A to select all of the emails then delete them. This
can be done quite quickly.

Tom Reilly

Daniel DeLorme wrote:

> This list has way too many messages for the amount of free time I
> have. Does someone, by any chance, know of email software with
> filtering (bayesian, user-based, etc) to help you ferret out the
> interesting stuff? Kind of like reverse spam: find the most
> interesting out of a mass of legit messages.
>
> Daniel

Roseanne Zhang

Daniel DeLorme wrote:
> This list has way too many messages for the amount of free time I have.
> Does
> someone, by any chance, know of email software with filtering (bayesian,
> user-based, etc) to help you ferret out the interesting stuff? Kind of
> like
> reverse spam: find the most interesting out of a mass of legit messages.
>
> Daniel

Why you need the emails at all???

Read from the website!!!!

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Daniel DeLorme wrote:
> This list has way too many messages for the amount of free time I
> have. Does someone, by any chance, know of email software with
> filtering (bayesian, user-based, etc) to help you ferret out the
> interesting stuff? Kind of like reverse spam: find the most
> interesting out of a mass of legit messages.
>
> Daniel

I recommend the two-second rule -- look at the message for 2 seconds,
then take action on it or delete it.

http://borasky-research.blo...

Jim Cochrane

On 2006-11-30, Daniel DeLorme <dan-ml@dan42.com> wrote:
> This list has way too many messages for the amount of free time I have. Does
> someone, by any chance, know of email software with filtering (bayesian,
> user-based, etc) to help you ferret out the interesting stuff? Kind of like
> reverse spam: find the most interesting out of a mass of legit messages.
>
> Daniel

sylpheed or sylpeed-claws
(http://www.google.com/search?q=sylpheed&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-U...)
provides (key-word or regex) filters with associated actions, so you can
use it to, for example, put all messages with ruby.*java|java.*ruby in
the subject line in your ruby-java folder, and so on. Works well for me
for my mailing list emails. (And each folder is implemented as a
directory in the filesystem, so it's also easy to grep/etc. emails from
the command line.)

--

Ben Bleything

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006, Roseanne Zhang wrote:
> Why you need the emails at all???
>
> Read from the website!!!!

Some people prefer to use mailing lists natively, instead of through
(occasionally broken) forum gateways.

Ben

Eric Hodel

On Nov 29, 2006, at 1744 , Daniel DeLorme wrote:

> This list has way too many messages for the amount of free time I
> have. Does someone, by any chance, know of email software with
> filtering (bayesian, user-based, etc) to help you ferret out the
> interesting stuff? Kind of like reverse spam: find the most
> interesting out of a mass of legit messages.

I've been working on it for IMAPCleanse, but I haven't made it
accurate yet. You may be interested in imap_flag, though. It lets
you track response to email addresses you like to read.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!

Eric Hodel

On Nov 29, 2006, at 1933 , Roseanne Zhang wrote:
> Daniel DeLorme wrote:
>> This list has way too many messages for the amount of free time I
>> have.
>> Does
>> someone, by any chance, know of email software with filtering
>> (bayesian,
>> user-based, etc) to help you ferret out the interesting stuff?
>> Kind of
>> like
>> reverse spam: find the most interesting out of a mass of legit
>> messages.
>>
>> Daniel
>
> Why you need the emails at all???
>
> Read from the website!!!!

I can't read the website when I'm not attached to the internet.

A website will gobble up even more of my precious time because I have
to wait for messages to load. No fun.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!

Simon Strandgaard

On 11/30/06, Daniel DeLorme <dan-ml@dan42.com> wrote:
[snip]
> help you ferret out the interesting stuff? Kind of like
> reverse spam: find the most interesting out of a mass of legit messages.

Interesting challenge.. a ruby-talk ranking system..

+10 matz
+10 ts
- 10 neoneye

--