Re: Array#group_by

Gregory Seidman

11/29/2006 2:34:00 PM

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 10:55:37PM +0900, Gareth Adams wrote:
} I posted this on the Rails list, but then I realised it would make more sense
} over here:
}
} -------
}
} Just thought I'd share a function which has been really useful to me, for 2
} reasons
}
} 1) It could easily help someone else
} 2) People might be able to make it work better or point out where it's not
} optimal

See
http://redcorundum.blogspot.com/2006/06/enumerablebucketby-and-uniqb...
for a post of mine from June that covers that, and more.

--Greg

1 Answer

Kingpin

On Nov 17, 11:26 am, Rare Hero <rarehero...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 17, 9:13 am, Kingpin <casey.bry...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Like IM, if you're not purposely making bank shots off the Navi
> > and Seeds Targets you are not playing the game properly and certainly
> > not getting everything out of the game. I would guess that people that
> > don't like either game under utilize these targets and their modes.
>
> That's a great point.  That's one thing I definitely noticed about
> playing IM...it's one of the only games I can recall trying to hit
> standup targets ON PURPOSE.  Most games the ball just ends up hitting
> the targets "accidentally" by bouncing around, so I'm never really
> aiming at them as "shots".  On IM, I'm definitely trying to get those
> targets and an IM scoring mode going before starting a Multiball,
> since you can't do it once the Multiball starts.  Those little
> stacking strategies are all over IM and it's something that makes the
> game super fun to me.
>
> Greg

Thanks Greg!

I get asked all the time why I think IM and Avatar are deep (LOTR and
TSPP are my favorite games): it is the intracacies of the ruleset and
the order in which you have to do things to stack everything. When I
play I am constantly evaluating where my next shot will go to maximize
my stacking strategy; in every mode/multiball there is always a
specific shot to hit that can make or break your multi-ball/mode/game.
War Machine is a great example of this because it can go from a two-
ball to a four ball easily, but you have to know when and where to
shoot to maximize it and roll it into Whiplash and then Iron Monger.
Avatar is much the same.

One other point I'd like to make that hasn't been mentioned here:
these latest set of games are the perfect blend between EM/Classic SS/
Modern DMD's and that is why they are successful. They are simple on
the surface but complex once you dive in; like EM's to get the most
out of the game you have to complete everything on one ball very
strategically....love that about EM's and the recent Sterns.