Re: Is ruby a viable corporate alternative?

Gavin Kistner

11/28/2006 4:28:00 PM

From: Mr P [mailto:MisterPerl@gmail.com]
> Our team uses Perl for almost 100% of our projects, as we have for the
> past 10 year or so. At that point we broke from the C/C++ herd and
> never looked back. Our productivity has been the best in the
> corporation since, and we hear nothing but complaints and bad-mouthing
> from the Java/C++ cadre since their design and implementations are
> typically 5-10X what ours are..

What do you need to accomplish with your programming? How important is
quick development time? How important is high-speed performance of the
code? Are you crunching numbers? Processing images? Scripting other
applications? Creating web applications? Writing network applications?
Interacting with databases? Processing large amounts of text?