How to get a list of Gems?

tesla

I need help in gettng a list of gems. When I use
gem list --remote

it works but in windows prompt the list is truncated. Increasing the
buffer does not help.
I tried to do a dump to a file but it only reads the first line the quits

gem list --remote -> list.txt

Anyone know a trick for this?

-Tesla

24 Answers

Marcin Mielzynski

tesla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need help in gettng a list of gems. When I use
> gem list --remote
>
> it works but in windows prompt the list is truncated. Increasing the
> buffer does not help.
> I tried to do a dump to a file but it only reads the first line the quits
>
> gem list --remote -> list.txt

gem list --remote > list.txt

> Anyone know a trick for this?
>
> -Tesla

lopex

tesla

Marcin MielżyÅ?ski wrote:
> tesla wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need help in gettng a list of gems. When I use
>> gem list --remote
>>
>> it works but in windows prompt the list is truncated. Increasing the
>> buffer does not help.
>> I tried to do a dump to a file but it only reads the first line the
>> quits
>>
>> gem list --remote -> list.txt
>
> gem list --remote > list.txt
>

>> Anyone know a trick for this?
>>
>> -Tesla
>>

> lopex

Duh! what a dummy I am !

Thanks for catching that habitual scripting typo ;)

-Tesla

Dano

"David Johnston" wrote in message news:jduifl$f0q$1@dont-email.me...

On 1/3/2012 2:34 AM, Hunter wrote:
> In article<jdsj3k$8t8$1@dont-email.me>, janeanddano@yahoo.com says...
>>
>> "Hunter" wrote in message
>>
>> In article<s3s1g7h7uia0lvfq47ktk94rsdea2qo4u6@4ax.com>,
>> masonbarge@gmail.com
>>

>>> If I'm not mistaken, Star Trek involved an actual military organization.
>> -----
>> No it wasn't. It was more like a diplomatic police force forced to take
>> on a
>> military component. The United States Coast Guard would be a better fit
>> than
>> the United States Navy for instance.
>>
>> =====================================
>>
>> Seriously? You maintain that the Coast Guard is NOT a military
>> organization?
>>
>> You may have reached a new level of obtuseness Hunter.
> ---
> I didn't say that the Cost Guard wasn't military Dano, I said that Star
> fleet
> would be better fit with the Coast Guard than the Navy. The Cost Guard has
> military AND law enforcement components just like Star fleet, although yes
> the
> navy is used in say drug interdiction sometimes, but it is not one of its
> usual, regular functions.

It's not one of Starfleet's usual regular functions either.

====================================

Point to David.

BTW...is the Cost Guard a consumer protection group?

JRStern

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 02:15:54 -0700, David Johnston <David@block.net>
wrote:

>On 1/2/2012 10:25 PM, Hunter wrote:
>

>> Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Janeway and all other Starfleet Starship
>> commanders are trained diplomats
>
>In gigantic warships.

"Ay, a fully charged phaser bank is the best diplomat I know!" said
Scotty.

J.

shawn

wrote:

>On 1/2/2012 10:25 PM, Hunter wrote:
>

>> Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Janeway and all other Starfleet Starship
>> commanders are trained diplomats
>
>In gigantic warships. No. The definition of "military" is not
>"aggressor" or "bully". And it is not the job of diplomats to patrol
>borders and fight off invasions. Nor do diplomats get court martials
>when they are accused of misbehaviour.

They were trained to act as diplomats but that wasn't their main job.
In the same way someone might know how to work on a car but that isn't
their real job. Starfleet had a set of real diplomats that we
occasionally saw. The only reason the Starfleet captains had to be
able to act as diplomats is because of the distances involved between
star systems making it impossible for the official diplomats to be on
call for everything that might come up.

Hunter

In article <jde6g7he4nc5oss9qj4imatn6t8eg2c289@4ax.com>,
nanoflower@gNOTmail.com says...

> On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 02:15:54 -0700, David Johnston <David@block.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On 1/2/2012 10:25 PM, Hunter wrote:
> >

> >> Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Janeway and all other Starfleet Starship
> >> commanders are trained diplomats
> >
> >In gigantic warships. No. The definition of "military" is not
> >"aggressor" or "bully". And it is not the job of diplomats to patrol
> >borders and fight off invasions. Nor do diplomats get court martials
> >when they are accused of misbehaviour.
>
> They were trained to act as diplomats but that wasn't their main job.
> In the same way someone might know how to work on a car but that isn't
> their real job. Starfleet had a set of real diplomats that we
> occasionally saw. The only reason the Starfleet captains had to be
> able to act as diplomats is because of the distances involved between
> star systems making it impossible for the official diplomats to be on
> call for everything that might come up.
----
Exactly! In anycase Starfleet captains do not imply at anytime the use of force
to do not threaten the contact to open relations or else. That is what 19th
century and prior times Navies did before, Captain Cook being one of the few
exceptions.
--
----->Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Hunter

In article <j2c6g7ds973eeqra7r26ibf7n7pjdpq6bo@4ax.com>, JRStern@foobar.invalid
says...

> On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 02:15:54 -0700, David Johnston <David@block.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On 1/2/2012 10:25 PM, Hunter wrote:
> >

> >> Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Janeway and all other Starfleet Starship
> >> commanders are trained diplomats
> >
> >In gigantic warships.
>
> "Ay, a fully charged phaser bank is the best diplomat I know!" said
> Scotty.
----
Actually the line is:

SCOTT: Diplomats. The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank.

That is from "A Taste of Armageddon".

To put it in context, it was said in a response to Ambassador Fox after Eminiar
Seven attacked the with a sonic disruter weapon. It was in the context of
Eminiar Seven holding Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock during their computer lottery
simulation of a war with Vendikar in which any casualties the computer spat out
and your name was on it you were to report to a place where you would be
killed.

The orders from the Federation was to establish diplomatic relations no matter
what. Ironically it was Ambassador Fox, the professional full time diplomat
that the Federation sent on the Enterprise to open relations immediately that
got them in that mess because he told Captain Kirk to ignore the message from
the planet not to approach the planet under *ANY* circumstances, none
whatsoever;

A Taste of Armageddon
Original Airdate: Feb 23, 1967
Stardate: 3192.1

KIRK: Nothing yet, Lieutenant?

UHURA: Nothing, Captain. Hailing frequencies are open.
(Ambassador Fox enters the Bridge from the turbolift.)

FOX: Have you received an answer to your message yet, Captain?

KIRK: Nothing yet, Ambassador. We're awaiting a reply. Today's the first time
we've had any evidence they've picked up our signal.

UHURA: Captain, message coming in from Eminiar Seven. Sir, it's code seven-ten.

KIRK: Are you sure?

UHURA: Positive. It repeats over and over.

FOX: Is that supposed to mean something?

KIRK: Code seven-ten means under no circumstances are we to approach that
planet. No circumstances what so ever.

FOX: You will disregard that signal, Captain.

KIRK: Mister Fox, it is their planet.

FOX: Captain, in the past twenty years, thousands of lives have been lost in
this quadrant. Lives that could have been saved if the Federation had a treaty
port here. We mean to have that port and I'm here to get it.

KIRK: By disregarding code seven-ten, you might well involve us in an
interplanetary war.

FOX: I'm quite prepared to take that risk.

KIRK: You are. I'm thinking about this ship, my crew.

FOX: I have my orders, Captain, and now you have yours. You will proceed on
course. Achieve orbit status and just leave the rest to me. You're well aware
that my mission gives me the power of command. I now exercise it. You will
proceed on course. That's a direct order.
(He leaves.)

SPOCK: In view of code seven-ten, Captain, may I suggest

KIRK: Yes, Mister Spock. This is the Captain. Condition Yellow Alert. Phaser
crews stand by. Deflector shields up. We're going in. Peacefully, I hope. But
peacefully or not, we're going in.

http://www.chakoteya.net/StarT...

So it was a professional full time diplomat that was doing the bullying!
--
----->Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

David Johnston

On 1/3/2012 10:09 PM, Hunter wrote:
> [...]
>
> KIRK: By disregarding code seven-ten, you might well involve us in an
> interplanetary war.
>
> FOX: I'm quite prepared to take that risk.
>
> KIRK: You are. I'm thinking about this ship, my crew.
>
> FOX: I have my orders, Captain, and now you have yours. You will proceed on
> course. Achieve orbit status and just leave the rest to me. You're well aware
> that my mission gives me the power of command. I now exercise it. You will
> proceed on course. That's a direct order.
> (He leaves.)
>
> SPOCK: In view of code seven-ten, Captain, may I suggest
>
> KIRK: Yes, Mister Spock. This is the Captain. Condition Yellow Alert. Phaser
> crews stand by. Deflector shields up. We're going in. Peacefully, I hope. But
> peacefully or not, we're going in.
>
> http://www.chakoteya.net/StarT...
>
> So it was a professional full time diplomat that was doing the bullying!

Well heck it was professional diplomats who told Perry to sail into the
harbor as well.

JRStern

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 00:09:55 -0500, Hunter <buffhunter@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
>KIRK: By disregarding code seven-ten, you might well involve us in an
>interplanetary war.
>
>FOX: I'm quite prepared to take that risk.
>
>KIRK: You are. I'm thinking about this ship, my crew.
>
>FOX: I have my orders, Captain, and now you have yours. You will proceed on
>course. Achieve orbit status and just leave the rest to me. You're well aware
>that my mission gives me the power of command. I now exercise it. You will
>proceed on course. That's a direct order.
>(He leaves.)
>
>SPOCK: In view of code seven-ten, Captain, may I suggest
>
>KIRK: Yes, Mister Spock. This is the Captain. Condition Yellow Alert. Phaser
>crews stand by. Deflector shields up. We're going in. Peacefully, I hope. But
>peacefully or not, we're going in.
>
>http://www.chakoteya.net/StarT...
>
>So it was a professional full time diplomat that was doing the bullying!

Thank you for the correction!

The defense, rests.

J.

Thanatos

Hunter sent the following on Wed, 4 Jan 2012 08:00:52 -0500:

> > > In gigantic warships. No. The definition of "military" is not
> > > "aggressor" or "bully". And it is not the job of diplomats to patrol
> > > borders and fight off invasions. Nor do diplomats get court martials
> > > when they are accused of misbehaviour.
> > ----
> > They are not warships.

The characters actually made a point of designating the Defiant as a
warship in the show.