[ANN] New RCRchive, including new process

dblack

Trans

dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
> Hi everyone --
>
> The new RCRchive has gone live, at http://www.rc....
>
> Please note the following important points:
>
> * We're starting again, and it's for Ruby 1.9/2.0 requests only.
> * Yes, I know it's not a design masterpiece :-) If you're a
> good designer and want to volunteer to help, let me know.
> * Comments are no longer entered on-site. Instead, there will
> be a mailing list for each RCR.
> * Once you've signed up, you can:
> - submit RCRs
> - vote on RCRs
> - subscribe to one or more of the comment/discussion mailing
> lists
>
> More help is available at the site, and I'm happy to field questions
> and problem reports (subject to holiday schedule :-)

What's the difference? (Besides the fact that everyone's work and
comments on RCR's prior has now been trashed.) The submit form looks
the same. I don't see any mention of the "mailing lists". I even had to
re-register. I don't get it. Rather the rejuvenate the RCR process in
any way, I this is driving the death nail through it. With all this,
who wants to bother anymore?

Personally I think the whole idea of mailing list for _each RCR_ is too
much. No one's going to take the time to join a mailing list for a
single RCR. Very few people ever commented on the RCRs as it was. I
mean really. Is this just some way to shut people up without being
mean? Sort of Honey-pot for wantabe language designers? If Matz and
core team were really interested in ideas for Ruby 2 from the
community, a dedicated mailing list would be the thing to have. A place
where ideas can be hashed out. If bad, they'd die quickly. If
reasonable, Matz or whomever could encourage a formal submission --at
least then one would know their hard RCR work was going to at least get
carefully looked at.

Anyhow that's my 2 cents.

T.

BTW, I submitted an RCR and RCRchive bombed.

James Gray

On Nov 22, 2006, at 6:13 AM, dblack@wobblini.net wrote:

> More help is available at the site, and I'm happy to field questions
> and problem reports (subject to holiday schedule :-)

Here's my first question: all old RCRs have been discarded?

James Edward Gray II

Ross Bamford

Hi David,

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:13:53 -0000, <dblack@wobblini.net> wrote:

> The new RCRchive has gone live, at http://www.rc....

Out of curiosity, why a mailing list for every RCR?

--
Ross Bamford - rosco@roscopeco.remove.co.uk

Paul Brannan

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 09:13:53PM +0900, dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
> - subscribe to one or more of the comment/discussion mailing
> lists

Can I subscribe to all of the mailing lists at once? (I'd rather not have
to subscribe to each new ML every time a new RCR is entered).

Paul

James Gray

On Nov 22, 2006, at 9:15 AM, Paul Brannan wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 09:13:53PM +0900, dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
>> - subscribe to one or more of the comment/discussion mailing
>> lists
>
> Can I subscribe to all of the mailing lists at once? (I'd rather
> not have
> to subscribe to each new ML every time a new RCR is entered).

Yes. See the Your Account link.

James Edward Gray II

dblack

_why

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 09:13:53PM +0900, dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
> * Comments are no longer entered on-site. Instead, there will
> be a mailing list for each RCR.

This is going to be a huge help. Way to go!

Hey, on the `help' page, could you add a bit more under the "Subscribing to the
mailing lists" section? Specifically, what e-mail address will be sending the
message and any other distinguishing characteristics of the e-mail, so that
filters can be coded to sort the mail?

Another little idea maybe: a few headers with some RCR data. X-RCR-Id and
X-RCR-Author would be really cool.

_why

dblack

Trans

Are you allowed to use any HTML in the submition fields? Are there size
limits?

T.

dblack