Re: ActiveRecord

Eric Hodel

11/21/2006 9:32:00 PM

On Nov 21, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Anthony Gardner wrote:

> First Post.
>
> Totally new to Ruby and am trying ActiveRecord.
>
> I've written a standalone script but it produces the following
> warnings before running and outputting the correct results.
>
> Any pointers, please?

Rails sucks in this regard, really sucks.

You're out of luck.

Just remove the -w and shake your fists in frustration that you can't
find warnings in your own code.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

http://trackmap.rob...

6 Answers

Cameron McBride

On 11/21/06, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Anthony Gardner wrote:
>
> > First Post.
> >
> > Totally new to Ruby and am trying ActiveRecord.
> >
> > I've written a standalone script but it produces the following
> > warnings before running and outputting the correct results.
> >
> > Any pointers, please?
>
> Rails sucks in this regard, really sucks.
>
> You're out of luck.
>
> Just remove the -w and shake your fists in frustration that you can't
> find warnings in your own code.

This is really, really sad.

Cameron

Eric Hodel

On Nov 21, 2006, at 1:38 PM, Cameron McBride wrote:
> On 11/21/06, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:
>> On Nov 21, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Anthony Gardner wrote:
>>
>> > First Post.
>> >
>> > Totally new to Ruby and am trying ActiveRecord.
>> >
>> > I've written a standalone script but it produces the following
>> > warnings before running and outputting the correct results.
>> >
>> > Any pointers, please?
>>
>> Rails sucks in this regard, really sucks.
>>
>> You're out of luck.
>>
>> Just remove the -w and shake your fists in frustration that you can't
>> find warnings in your own code.
>>

> This is really, really sad.

Yes. I wrote a patch to fix it but it was ignored.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

http://trackmap.rob...

James Gray

On Nov 21, 2006, at 4:15 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2006, at 1:38 PM, Cameron McBride wrote:

>>> Rails sucks in this regard, really sucks.
>>>
>>> You're out of luck.
>>>
>>> Just remove the -w and shake your fists in frustration that you
>>> can't
>>> find warnings in your own code.
>>>

>> This is really, really sad.
>
> Yes. I wrote a patch to fix it but it was ignored.

Ouch. They didn't apply it or refused it? That's disappointing
either way.

James Edward Gray II

Leslie Viljoen

On 11/22/06, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2006, at 4:15 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:

> >> This is really, really sad.
> >
> > Yes. I wrote a patch to fix it but it was ignored.
>
> Ouch. They didn't apply it or refused it? That's disappointing
> either way.

Wow, and I had so much respect for the rails camp. Though maybe they
are busy on something else...

Eric Hodel

On Nov 21, 2006, at 2:21 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2006, at 4:15 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:

>>> This is really, really sad.
>>
>> Yes. I wrote a patch to fix it but it was ignored.
>
> Ouch. They didn't apply it or refused it? That's disappointing
> either way.

I think it ended up being both. They accepted a patch for
ActionMailer, so I wrote one for the rest of Rails, then it was
ignored for three months, then it was rejected because it had bitrotted.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

http://trackmap.rob...

Martin DeMello

On 11/22/06, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:

> Just remove the -w and shake your fists in frustration that you can't
> find warnings in your own code.

Well, or the slightly less extreme 2>&1 | grep -v 'lib/active_record'
:) But I agree that rails sucks in that respect.

m.