Re: Protecting commercial ruby source code

Brad Tilley

11/17/2006 2:59:00 PM

> Hiren Bridgmohun wrote:

> Is there a way to obfuscate my ruby source code. I have come across
ZenObfuscate which at > about $2500. Does anyone know of any other options to
protect ruby source code when it is > distributed to clients?

This question comes up a lot. Can you make it a web-based application so that
the code is never distributed? IMO, that's the only real way to deal with this.

There really is no 100% way in which to obfuscate code. You can raise the bar of
course, but if a determined client who is technically minded gets the code, they
can undo any obfuscation you've done. Personally, I think it's a bad idea and if
you're having to ask the question, then something is fundamentally wrong with
your business model.

1 Answer

Brad Tilley

Quoting Francis Cianfrocca <garbagecat10@gmail.com>:

> Agree completely on the point about not being able to obfuscate code 100%.
> Hosting software yourself solves a lot of interesting problems (including
> some OSS licensing issues) but opens a different set of potential problems:
> 1) some clients are not comfortable unless they host private data
> themselves; 2) some clients have legal constraints requiring them to host
> themselves; 3) you might become a target for government action if you're
> hosting any kind of data on behalf of a client.

Would it be possible to host the app remotely and then store user specific data
locally on the clients' computers? No need to obfuscate user data, right?

> I think it's too broad to say that there are fundamental problems with *any*
> business model that benefits from code obfuscation...

You're right. I was grasping there. I really meant to say that perhaps he should
step back and ask why he's having to ask this question.