Re: Installing 1.8.5 on Debian

Vincent Fourmond

11/16/2006 8:32:00 PM

Lee Benson wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm new to Ruby, and I'm using Debian GNU/Linux. I like it for the package management -- BUT, the latest package I can find is 1.8.2.

Latest version in the archive is 1.8.5; have a look there:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/interprete...

You'll need to have an unstable distribution in you
/etc/apt/sources.list. I don't think there is any backport for stable,
but you can try installing directly with the .debs found on the previous
page.

Cheers !

Vince

--
Vincent Fourmond, PhD student
http://vincent.fourmon...

1 Answer

Grant Hollingworth

* Vincent Fourmond <vincent.fourmond@9online.fr> [2006-11-16 13:33]:
>Lee Benson wrote:
> You'll need to have an unstable distribution in you
>/etc/apt/sources.list. I don't think there is any backport for stable,
>but you can try installing directly with the .debs found on the previous
>page.

The .debs built for testing and unstable depend on a newer version of libc6 than stable has.

Add testing to /etc/apt/sources.list and then run
apt-get build-dep ruby1.8
apt-get source --build ruby1.8

You'll end up with a pile of Ruby .debs that you can install with dpkg -i.