Alternative/mirror for gems.rubyforge.org

Kurman Karabukaev

11/16/2006 6:07:00 AM

I am having problem installing some gems, is there any mirror for the
gems site?

Cheers.

Dr Nic

Steven Davidovitz wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:07:24 +0900
> Kurman Karabukaev <kkurman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am having problem installing some gems, is there any mirror for the
>> gems site?

http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/2005/10/18/rubygems-mirror-to-kil...

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

On 6/25/12 12:42 AM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <a5pfu7p67m54ddf49cdldtju6i9qr14dar@4ax.com>,
> Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 13:55:07 -0500, Dan Goodman <dsgood@iphouse.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What do you expect your country to be like in 2062?
>>
>> Less different from now than now is from 1962.
>
> The only thing that comes to my mind is that the works both of
> Walt Disney and of J. R. R. Tolkien will be out of copyright.
>
> (Unless the Mouse has more lawyers in his pockets than I think he
> has.)

The Mouse has more lawyers in his pocket than are found in the dreams
of avarice, or something to that effect.

The only thing that will put them out of copyright is if a MAJOR
revision of copyright law is done that favors society and the individual
over the corporations. I'd LIKE to see that, but I would like to stay
conscious so I'm not holding my breath.

--
Sea Wasp
/^ ;;;

John W Kennedy

On 2012-06-25 04:42:33 +0000, Dorothy J Heydt said:

> In article <a5pfu7p67m54ddf49cdldtju6i9qr14dar@4ax.com>,
> Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 13:55:07 -0500, Dan Goodman <dsgood@iphouse.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What do you expect your country to be like in 2062?
>>
>> Less different from now than now is from 1962.
>
> The only thing that comes to my mind is that the works both of
> Walt Disney and of J. R. R. Tolkien will be out of copyright.
>
> (Unless the Mouse has more lawyers in his pockets than I think he
> has.)
>
> I'm not sure what will happen then, because I don't know what the
> available textual and audio-visual media will be like. There
> will probably be a lot of let's-still-call-it-fanfic loosely
> based on both bodies of work, most of it awful, but then
> Sturgeon's Law can start to take over and let the good stuff rise
> to the top and the drek sink to the bottom. In 2100, now....

It was Tolkien's intent, at least at one date, that other artists
should be able to play in his sandbox. The Silmarillion positively begs
for it; in a perfect world, the Tolkien estate would hire Joe
Straczynski to make a TV series of it right now.

--
John W Kennedy
"The pathetic hope that the White House will turn a Caligula into a

John W Kennedy

On 2012-06-25 13:38:12 +0000, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) said:

> On 6/25/12 12:42 AM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> In article <a5pfu7p67m54ddf49cdldtju6i9qr14dar@4ax.com>,
>> Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

>>> Less different from now than now is from 1962.
>>
>> The only thing that comes to my mind is that the works both of
>> Walt Disney and of J. R. R. Tolkien will be out of copyright.
>>
>> (Unless the Mouse has more lawyers in his pockets than I think he
>> has.)
>
> The Mouse has more lawyers in his pocket than are found in the dreams
> of avarice, or something to that effect.

It is not lawyers, per se, but legislators that are required.

> The only thing that will put them out of copyright is if a MAJOR
> revision of copyright law is done that favors society and the
> individual over the corporations. I'd LIKE to see that, but I would
> like to stay conscious so I'm not holding my breath.

That's not so. It is further extension of copyright that requires
revision of the standing law. No revision, no extension.

--
John W Kennedy
"The grand art mastered the thudding hammer of Thor

djheydt

In article <4fe88916$0$1250$607ed4bc@cv.net>,
John W Kennedy <jwkenne@attglobal.net> wrote:
>On 2012-06-25 04:42:33 +0000, Dorothy J Heydt said:
>
>> In article <a5pfu7p67m54ddf49cdldtju6i9qr14dar@4ax.com>,
>> Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

>>> Less different from now than now is from 1962.
>>
>> The only thing that comes to my mind is that the works both of
>> Walt Disney and of J. R. R. Tolkien will be out of copyright.
>>
>> (Unless the Mouse has more lawyers in his pockets than I think he
>> has.)
>>
>> I'm not sure what will happen then, because I don't know what the
>> available textual and audio-visual media will be like. There
>> will probably be a lot of let's-still-call-it-fanfic loosely
>> based on both bodies of work, most of it awful, but then
>> Sturgeon's Law can start to take over and let the good stuff rise
>> to the top and the drek sink to the bottom. In 2100, now....
>
>It was Tolkien's intent, at least at one date, that other artists
>should be able to play in his sandbox. The Silmarillion positively begs
>for it; in a perfect world, the Tolkien estate would hire Joe
>Straczynski to make a TV series of it right now.

Actually, in my opinion the Silmarillion would make a great
operatic cycle. It would need, not only the permission of the
Tolkien Estate, but a composer who was at least as good a
composer as Wagner, and a much better man.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

djheydt

In article <4fe8c913$0$6068$607ed4bc@cv.net>,
John W Kennedy <jwkenne@attglobal.net> wrote:
>On 2012-06-25 19:27:35 +0000, Dorothy J Heydt said:
>
>> In article <4fe88916$0$1250$607ed4bc@cv.net>,
>> John W Kennedy <jwkenne@attglobal.net> wrote:

>>> It was Tolkien's intent, at least at one date, that other artists
>>> should be able to play in his sandbox. The Silmarillion positively begs
>>> for it; in a perfect world, the Tolkien estate would hire Joe
>>> Straczynski to make a TV series of it right now.
>>
>> Actually, in my opinion the Silmarillion would make a great
>> operatic cycle. It would need, not only the permission of the
>> Tolkien Estate, but a composer who was at least as good a
>> composer as Wagner, and a much better man.
>
>It would be interesting, and better suited to the genre than "The Lord
>of the Rings". But it would be terribly episodic. (It would also be
>terribly expensive, and would have to face the general impression that
>Wagner owns that sort of thing outright.)

He's been dead since 1883. I think *his* copyrights have expired
too. (Though his descendants, still running Bayreyth, would like
us to think otherwise.)

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at gmail dot com
Should you wish to email me, you'd better use the gmail edress.
Kithrup's all spammy and hotmail's been hacked.

Dan Goodman

On 06/24/2012 11:11 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 13:55:07 -0500, Dan Goodman<dsgood@iphouse.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What do you expect your country to be like in 2062?
>
> Less different from now than now is from 1962.

Why?

--
Dan Goodman

Dan Goodman

On 06/24/2012 11:42 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article<a5pfu7p67m54ddf49cdldtju6i9qr14dar@4ax.com>,
> Joy Beeson<jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 13:55:07 -0500, Dan Goodman<dsgood@iphouse.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What do you expect your country to be like in 2062?
>>
>> Less different from now than now is from 1962.
>
> The only thing that comes to my mind is that the works both of
> Walt Disney and of J. R. R. Tolkien will be out of copyright.
>
> (Unless the Mouse has more lawyers in his pockets than I think he
> has.)
>
> I'm not sure what will happen then, because I don't know what the
> available textual and audio-visual media will be like. There
> will probably be a lot of let's-still-call-it-fanfic loosely
> based on both bodies of work, most of it awful, but then
> Sturgeon's Law can start to take over and let the good stuff rise
> to the top and the drek sink to the bottom. In 2100, now....

Mindcasting would bring some interesting twists.

--
Dan Goodman

David Friedman

In article <4fe8eb1c$0$78462$804603d3@auth.newsreader.iphouse.com>,
Dan Goodman <dsgood@iphouse.com> wrote:

> On 06/24/2012 11:42 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> > In article<a5pfu7p67m54ddf49cdldtju6i9qr14dar@4ax.com>,
> > Joy Beeson<jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> >> Less different from now than now is from 1962.
> >
> > The only thing that comes to my mind is that the works both of
> > Walt Disney and of J. R. R. Tolkien will be out of copyright.
> >
> > (Unless the Mouse has more lawyers in his pockets than I think he
> > has.)
> >
> > I'm not sure what will happen then, because I don't know what the
> > available textual and audio-visual media will be like. There
> > will probably be a lot of let's-still-call-it-fanfic loosely
> > based on both bodies of work, most of it awful, but then
> > Sturgeon's Law can start to take over and let the good stuff rise
> > to the top and the drek sink to the bottom. In 2100, now....
> >
> Mindcasting would bring some interesting twists.

MMORGs are a more likely alternative, within that time frame.

--
http://www.daviddfri...
http://daviddfriedman.blo...

John W Kennedy

On 2012-06-25 21:23:35 +0000, Dorothy J Heydt said:

> In article <4fe8c913$0$6068$607ed4bc@cv.net>,
> John W Kennedy <jwkenne@attglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 2012-06-25 19:27:35 +0000, Dorothy J Heydt said:

>>> Actually, in my opinion the Silmarillion would make a great
>>> operatic cycle. It would need, not only the permission of the
>>> Tolkien Estate, but a composer who was at least as good a
>>> composer as Wagner, and a much better man.
>>
>> It would be interesting, and better suited to the genre than "The Lord
>> of the Rings". But it would be terribly episodic. (It would also be
>> terribly expensive, and would have to face the general impression that
>> Wagner owns that sort of thing outright.)
>
> He's been dead since 1883. I think *his* copyrights have expired
> too. (Though his descendants, still running Bayreyth, would like
> us to think otherwise.)

I'm not talking about legalities; I'm talking about the mindset that
makes people describe "Babylon 5" as "one of those 'Star Trek' shows".

--
John W Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres