IRB: Arrow keys not working (neither Insert, home, etc

Aníbal Rojas

11/13/2006 12:38:00 AM

Hello,

I have Ruby 1.8.5 installed in Ubuntu 6.06 (Kernel: 2.6.15-27-686 )
IRB works fine with special characters (like accented a, and tilded n)
but the arrow keys produce the following input:

Up: ^[[A
Right: ^[[C
Down: ^[[B
Left: ^[[D

The other special keys: Insert, Home, Prev Page, Del, End and Nex
Page produce similar results.

2 Answers

Paul Lutus

Aníbal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have Ruby 1.8.5 installed in Ubuntu 6.06 (Kernel: 2.6.15-27-686 )
> IRB works fine with special characters (like accented a, and tilded n)
> but the arrow keys produce the following input:
>
> Up: ^[[A
> Right: ^[[C
> Down: ^[[B
> Left: ^[[D
>
> The other special keys: Insert, Home, Prev Page, Del, End and Nex
> Page produce similar results.

Is this your first exposure to Ruby and/or IRB? Did you have Ruby 1.8.4
before this? Did it work? Is this a new problem not seen before? Is Ubuntu
your first Linux? Are you typing on a remote terminal or typing directly
into, say, a Konsole session under X windows?

These are the sorts of questions that spring to mind when trying to offer a
useful answer.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.ara...

Michael Glaesemann

Aníbal wrote:

> I have Ruby 1.8.5 installed in Ubuntu 6.06 (Kernel: 2.6.15-27-686 )
> IRB works fine with special characters (like accented a, and tilded n)
> but the arrow keys produce the following input:
>
> Up: ^[[A
> Right: ^[[C
> Down: ^[[B
> Left: ^[[D
>
> The other special keys: Insert, Home, Prev Page, Del, End and Nex
> Page produce similar results.

It looks like IRB might not be compiled with readline support. I'm
not sure how to check this, however.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net