RubyGems Issue

Skeets

11/12/2006 5:06:00 PM

hi all,

i have successfully installed gems on my winxp box. when i type in
gems -v(or is it --version, i can't recall off hand) i get back the
current version (i think it is version 0.9). so far, so good.

however, when i fire up irb and try to "include rubygems", false is
returned.

what am i doing wrong?

tia...

8 Answers

Raymond Daley

"John W Kennedy" wrote
> On 2012-05-26 17:25:03 +0000, David Dyer-Bennet said:
>> "Raymond Daley" <raymond.daley@ntlworld.com> writes:
>>> I've noticed recently that a lot of American SF, especially older stuff
>>> has
>>> many words hyphenated that really shouldn't be or don't need to be.
>>> Is this the result of bad education or plain old misuse of the hyphen?
>> Standards are changing; they were probably correct at the time.
> I repeat: without examples, further speculation is pointless.

Hal Clement seems a fairly regular offender, I've noticed a few as I've been
proofing a few of his titles.

Hal Clement - Halo
I'm literally cursing him on each of these. And after 6yrs in the military
I know how to swear.
high-melting-point

unheard-of

half-billion-mile

merry-go-round

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

On 5/30/12 1:19 PM, Raymond Daley wrote:
> "John W Kennedy" wrote
>>> Standards are changing; they were probably correct at the time.
>> I repeat: without examples, further speculation is pointless.
>
> Hal Clement seems a fairly regular offender, I've noticed a few as I've been
> proofing a few of his titles.
>
> Hal Clement - Halo
> I'm literally cursing him on each of these. And after 6yrs in the military
> I know how to swear.
> high-melting-point
>
> unheard-of
>
> half-billion-mile
>
> merry-go-round

Merry-go-round is the correct way of writing it that I've known since
childhood. Unheard-of is the way I write it in the context of "That was
an unheard-of faux pas". "Half-billion-mile" is also a construction I'm
familiar with and have used, especially if the entire phrase is meant to
describe something ("Half-billion-mile journey to Jupiter", for instance).

The only one that makes me even pause is "High-melting-point", but that
would still be reasonably acceptable to me if the context was that the
whole phrase was modifying, say, the word "alloy" ("He was using a very
high-melting-point alloy in this construction...")

--
Sea Wasp
/^ ;;;

djheydt

In article <DFsxr.1252421$sE1.383487@fx22.am4>,
Raymond Daley <raymond.daley@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>"John W Kennedy" wrote
>>> Standards are changing; they were probably correct at the time.
>> I repeat: without examples, further speculation is pointless.
>
>Hal Clement seems a fairly regular offender, I've noticed a few as I've been
>proofing a few of his titles.
>
>Hal Clement - Halo
>I'm literally cursing him on each of these. And after 6yrs in the military
>I know how to swear.

>high-melting-point
>
>unheard-of
>
>half-billion-mile

You don't provide context. If the phrases are used adjectivally,
as in "unheard-of expenditures" or "a half-billion-mile journey",
then that's correct.

>merry-go-round

That's how I've seen it spelled ever since I learned to read. In
1948 or so.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

John W Kennedy

On 2012-05-30 18:30:02 +0000, Dorothy J Heydt said:

> In article <DFsxr.1252421$sE1.383487@fx22.am4>,
> Raymond Daley <raymond.daley@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> I repeat: without examples, further speculation is pointless.
>>
>> Hal Clement seems a fairly regular offender, I've noticed a few as I've been
>> proofing a few of his titles.
>>
>> Hal Clement - Halo
>> I'm literally cursing him on each of these. And after 6yrs in the military
>> I know how to swear.
>
>> high-melting-point
>>
>> unheard-of
>>
>> half-billion-mile
>
> You don't provide context. If the phrases are used adjectivally,
> as in "unheard-of expenditures" or "a half-billion-mile journey",
> then that's correct.
>>
>> merry-go-round
>
> That's how I've seen it spelled ever since I learned to read. In
> 1948 or so.

Except for the name of the title character in the 40th and last
official Oz book, yup.

--
John W Kennedy
Read the remains of Shakespeare's lost play, now annotated!

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

On 5/30/12 2:59 PM, John W Kennedy wrote:
> On 2012-05-30 18:30:02 +0000, Dorothy J Heydt said:
>
>> In article <DFsxr.1252421$sE1.383487@fx22.am4>,
>> Raymond Daley <raymond.daley@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> "John W Kennedy" wrote
>>>
>>> Hal Clement seems a fairly regular offender, I've noticed a few as
>>> I've been
>>> proofing a few of his titles.
>>>
>>> Hal Clement - Halo
>>> I'm literally cursing him on each of these. And after 6yrs in the
>>> military
>>> I know how to swear.
>>
>>> high-melting-point
>>>
>>> unheard-of
>>>
>>> half-billion-mile
>>
>> You don't provide context. If the phrases are used adjectivally,
>> as in "unheard-of expenditures" or "a half-billion-mile journey",
>> then that's correct.
>>>
>>> merry-go-round
>>
>> That's how I've seen it spelled ever since I learned to read. In
>> 1948 or so.
>
> Except for the name of the title character in the 40th and last official
> Oz book, yup.

The machine is named a merry-go-round, but the horse, being a person,
has those words as her first, second, and last names, yes.

--
Sea Wasp
/^ ;;;

"Dorothy J Heydt" <djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote in message
> In article <DFsxr.1252421$sE1.383487@fx22.am4>,
> Raymond Daley <raymond.daley@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> I repeat: without examples, further speculation is pointless.
>>
>>Hal Clement seems a fairly regular offender, I've noticed a few as I've
>>been
>>proofing a few of his titles.
>>
>>Hal Clement - Halo
>>I'm literally cursing him on each of these. And after 6yrs in the
>>military
>>I know how to swear.
>
>>high-melting-point
>>
>>unheard-of
>>
>>half-billion-mile
>
> You don't provide context.

It's irrelevant.
The fact that he's used them here at all is the issue.
Pointlessly.
Did he not have access to a space key?
(Having consulated the rest of the text these came from, yes he did.)
So what was wrong with

high melting point
unheard of
half billion mile

djheydt

In article <IQUxr.539263$4R.317679@fx17.am4>,
Raymond Daley <raymond.daley@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"Dorothy J Heydt" <djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote in message
>> In article <DFsxr.1252421$sE1.383487@fx22.am4>,
>> Raymond Daley <raymond.daley@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>"John W Kennedy" wrote
>>>
>>>Hal Clement seems a fairly regular offender, I've noticed a few as I've
>>>been
>>>proofing a few of his titles.
>>>
>>>Hal Clement - Halo
>>>I'm literally cursing him on each of these. And after 6yrs in the
>>>military
>>>I know how to swear.
>>
>>>high-melting-point
>>>
>>>unheard-of
>>>
>>>half-billion-mile
>>
>> You don't provide context.
>
>It's irrelevant.
>The fact that he's used them here at all is the issue.
>Pointlessly.
>Did he not have access to a space key?
>(Having consulated the rest of the text these came from, yes he did.)
>So what was wrong with
>
>high melting point
>unheard of
>half billion mile

It depends on the syntactic context. "This alloy has a high
melting point." "The high-melting-point characteristic of this
alloy makes it a bitch to work with."

--

On 5/31/12 9:23 PM, Raymond Daley wrote:
> "Dorothy J Heydt"<djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote in message
>> In article<DFsxr.1252421$sE1.383487@fx22.am4>,
>> Raymond Daley<raymond.daley@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> "John W Kennedy" wrote
>>>
>>> Hal Clement seems a fairly regular offender, I've noticed a few as I've
>>> been
>>> proofing a few of his titles.
>>>
>>> Hal Clement - Halo
>>> I'm literally cursing him on each of these. And after 6yrs in the
>>> military
>>> I know how to swear.
>>
>>> high-melting-point
>>>
>>> unheard-of
>>>
>>> half-billion-mile
>>
>> You don't provide context.
>
> It's irrelevant.

No, it's not.

> The fact that he's used them here at all is the issue.
> Pointlessly.

Not in my experience.

> high melting point
> unheard of
> half billion mile

All three of those group together as single phrases. It is quite
acceptable to bring them together as a group with the hyphens.

--
Sea Wasp
/^ ;;;