Gambler Gluck

11/11/2006 2:57:00 PM

Hello.I'm learning Ruby right now, and I have couple of questions about it.1. What is the best way to store configs for ruby programs? Is there a way to include an rb file with data structure so that it is assigned to some variable in the including code? If there is such a way, would it be worse than using YAML serialization or better?2. What is the most "universal" way to work with web environments? Will CGI work well if used under mod_ruby or in other non-cgi environments? ____________________________________________________________________________________Do you Yahoo!?Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.http://new.mail...

2 Answers

David Vallner

Gambler Gluck wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm learning Ruby right now, and I have couple of questions about it.
>
> 1. What is the best way to store configs for ruby programs? Is there a way to include an rb file with data structure so that it is assigned to some variable in the including code? If there is such a way, would it be worse than using YAML serialization or better?

The sourcing a .rb file is more flexible, however you risk code
injection that way. Usual considerations apply.

David Vallner

James Gray

On Nov 11, 2006, at 8:57 AM, Gambler Gluck wrote:

> 1. What is the best way to store configs for ruby programs? Is
> there a way to include an rb file with data structure so that it is
> assigned to some variable in the including code? If there is such a
> way, would it be worse than using YAML serialization or better?

I really believe YAML was made for configuration files. It's my
first choice, for sure.

James Edward Gray II