use new net/smtp in ruby 1.8.5 (SMTPS support

mmalaidini

11/9/2006 5:57:00 PM

I'd like to use the new net/smtp library in ruby 1.8.5 because it
supports SMTPS.

What should I do in order to install just what is needed and nothing
more?
Which is the right way (if any) to make the new library cohexist the
old one? I mean, so that I can use it in a project, but not as a
general replacement of 1.8.5 version? Or should I replace the entire
existing net library?

I'm using 1.8.4 on Windows (one click installer) and 1.8.5 on MacOSX
(darwinports), but I may easily upgrade on 1.8.5 on Windows as well if
it is crucial.

Thanks
MM

5 Answers

Matthew Silverstein

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:53:09 -0800 (PST), Greg wrote:

> 4 is definitely the highlight of the EMI set (I have these on older
> versions, not the French set), although there are several recordings I
> prefer. The rest I listened to once and set aside. His later Brahms,
> especially the LA recordings of 1 and 2, are better overall.

I think the VPO recordings on DG are even better than the LAPO recordings.

Matty

mandryka

On Nov 16, 4:49 pm, Matthew Silverstein
<matthew.silverst...@ymail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:53:09 -0800 (PST), Greg wrote:
> > 4 is definitely the highlight of the EMI set (I have these on older
> > versions, not the French set), although there are several recordings I
> > prefer.  The rest I listened to once and set aside.  His later Brahms,
> > especially the LA recordings of 1 and 2, are better overall.
>
> I think the VPO recordings on DG are even better than the LAPO recordings.
>
> Matty

The Brahms 2 -- second movement especially -- with the Vienna is quite
extraordinary. I enjoyed the 1980 one with the LA orchestra, but this
1990 with Vienna takes it to new heights of amzingness.

I'm very keen to hear all his late recordings in fact. I've just
started to explore the La Scala Beethoven. Has anyone heard his
Schubert 9 and 8 (1995 and 1993) on Sony?

By the way be sure to get the extraordinarily tragic interpretation of
Mozart PC24 with Curzon and the Chicago SO on symphonyshare, and the
Gran Partita there too, with the LA WInds. Both late 1970s. They are
very fine, the concerto especially.

Greg

On Nov 16, 11:49 am, Matthew Silverstein
<matthew.silverst...@ymail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:53:09 -0800 (PST), Greg wrote:
> > 4 is definitely the highlight of the EMI set (I have these on older
> > versions, not the French set), although there are several recordings I
> > prefer.  The rest I listened to once and set aside.  His later Brahms,
> > especially the LA recordings of 1 and 2, are better overall.
>
> I think the VPO recordings on DG are even better than the LAPO recordings.
>
> Matty

Perhaps, but I have to be in the right mood for something that slow.
For me the VPO recordings are on the edge of being "a bridge too far"
in that direction.

Greg

Matthew Silverstein

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 09:37:27 -0800 (PST), mandryka wrote:

> I'm very keen to hear all his late recordings in fact. I've just
> started to explore the La Scala Beethoven. Has anyone heard his
> Schubert 9 and 8 (1995 and 1993) on Sony?

I found the La Scala Beethoven recordings on Sony to be very disappointing.
Much better is the BPO Beethoven 9 on DG. Brucker 8 and 9 with the VPO on
DG are also extraordinary.

Matty

pianomaven

On Nov 17, 7:48 am, Matthew Silverstein
<matthew.silverst...@ymail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 09:37:27 -0800 (PST), mandryka wrote:
> > I'm very keen to hear all his late recordings in fact. I've just
> > started to explore the La Scala Beethoven. Has anyone heard his
> > Schubert 9 and 8 (1995 and 1993)  on Sony?
>
> I found the La Scala Beethoven recordings on Sony to be very disappointing.
> Much better is the BPO Beethoven 9 on DG. Brucker 8 and 9 with the VPO on
> DG are also extraordinary.

It is not a subject for dispute that the La Scala orchestra are not
the BPO or the VPO. That said, I think it was good that CMG made those
Beethoven recordings nonetheless. Craggy, even rough-hewn Beethoven
seems a rather good thing to my ears. Too much refinement leads to
preciosity in this music.

TD