Ruby Shipping Gem Setup

PJ Kelly

11/9/2006 1:43:00 AM

Hi There,

I'm new to the list, and found some posts on this topic, but never any
answers to the questions, so I'm gonna try posting again.

I'm trying to setup the ruby shipping gem, and can't figure out how to
configure parts of it. I've followed the setup instructions in the
O'Reilly Ruby Cookbook and the gem documentation.

For the UPS part of it i need to provide values for ups_account,
ups_user, and ups_password. I assume these keys equate to the following:

ups_account = account number
ups_user = the username I login to the ups admin area with
ups_password = the password I login to the ups admin area with

I've tried this configuration, but it always returns a price of 0. The
response object contains the following:

response_plain="UPSOnLine5%Missing ActionCode%6837n"
response="UPSOnLine5%Missing ActionCode%6837n",
data="AppVersion=1.2&AcceptUPSLicenseAgreement=yes&ResponseType=application/x-ups-rss&ActionCode=3&RateChart=Customer+Counter&DCISInd=0&SNDestinationInd1=0&SNDestinationInd2=0&ResidentialInd=$r&PackagingType=00&ServiceLevelCode=GND&ShipperPostalCode=90701&ShipperCountry=US&ConsigneePostalCode=60202&ConsigneeCountry=US&PackageActualWeight=2&DeclaredValueInsurance=0",

I don't know what Missing Action Code refers to, but I'm thinking it
means maybe I'm using the wrong login credentials. I also have a
Developer's Key and an XML Access Key for the account, and have tried
them in place of the password and/or account number, but i get the same
response all the time.

On the FedEx side of things, i can't figure out how to generate the
required meter number for the account. FedEx says it has to be generated
by the software that is accessing the FedEx api, but I haven't been able
to find any method of generating it from within the gem.

Anyone have any experience with this gem? Any suggestions? Any help
would be much appreciated.

Best, PJ

GPE

"Galt" <troyandangie@comcast.net> wrote in message
On Nov 4, 11:02 pm, "GPE" <GPE_NoS...@Cox.net> wrote:
> "Galt" <troyandan...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > Sorry for the stupid question. I am working on a Gotlieb System 1 CPU
> > with card edge connectors. Having trouble with displays so I want to
> > replace the connectors. I am having trouble getting the pins out of
> > the connector and now want to replace the card edge housings along
> > with the pins. I don't have the pin extraction tool and have now
> > broken the first of 19. I can get the tool, but don't think even with
> > it I will be able to run the table on the other 18. I need new
> > housings.
> > The first one the I am working on is the 19 pin A1 J2. I can't find
> > a 19 pin direct replacement. Do they make these to cut to size?
> > Would a 20 pin work?
>
> > Can I use another combination? (4-4 pin housings and a 3 pin housing
> > or some other combination)? Where can I get these? With this type of
> > connector, do you need to get bigger (more positions). It doesn't
> > look like there is space for the housing for combinations....
>
> These housings are cheap enough to not worry about repinning the old ones.
> For 19 pin, you want 09-01-6191
>
> http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Categ...

Thank-you! I guess the 19 pin housing won't have the separation
between the pins like the OEM housing does. The original has
4,3,4,4,4.

Yup -- the 09-01-6191 is the right plug.
It has ribs between pins 4&5, 7&8, 11&12, and 15&16
This means you have a the grouping of 4, 3, 4, 4, 4
1, 2, 3, 4 X 5, 6, 7 X 8, 9, 10, 11 X 12, 13, 14, 15 X 16, 17, 18,
19

These have a rib location code of 14 -- you can see the table for this on
pages 1 and 3 here:
http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Datasheets/Molex/S...

-- Ed

Galt

On Nov 4, 11:36 pm, "GPE" <GPE_NoS...@Cox.net> wrote:
> "Galt" <troyandan...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> On Nov 4, 11:02 pm, "GPE" <GPE_NoS...@Cox.net> wrote:
>

> > "Galt" <troyandan...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > > Sorry for the stupid question. I am working on a Gotlieb System 1 CPU
> > > with card edge connectors. Having trouble with displays so I want to
> > > replace the connectors. I am having trouble getting the pins out of
> > > the connector and now want to replace the card edge housings along
> > > with the pins. I don't have the pin extraction tool and have now
> > > broken the first of 19. I can get the tool, but don't think even with
> > > it I will be able to run the table on the other 18. I need new
> > > housings.
> > > The first one the I am working on is the 19 pin A1 J2. I can't find
> > > a 19 pin direct replacement. Do they make these to cut to size?
> > > Would a 20 pin work?
>
> > > Can I use another combination? (4-4 pin housings and a 3 pin housing
> > > or some other combination)? Where can I get these? With this type of
> > > connector, do you need to get bigger (more positions). It doesn't
> > > look like there is space for the housing for combinations....
>
> > These housings are cheap enough to not worry about repinning the old ones.
> > For 19 pin, you want 09-01-6191
>
> >http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Categ...
>
> Thank-you!   I guess the 19 pin housing won't have the separation
> between the pins like the OEM housing does.  The original has
> 4,3,4,4,4.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­--
>
> Yup -- the 09-01-6191 is the right plug.
> It has ribs between pins 4&5, 7&8, 11&12, and 15&16
> This means you have a the grouping of 4, 3, 4, 4, 4
> 1, 2, 3, 4  X  5, 6, 7  X  8, 9, 10, 11  X  12, 13, 14, 15  X  16, 17, 18,
> 19
>
> These have a rib location code of 14 -- you can see the table for this on
> pages 1 and 3 here:http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Datasheets/Molex/S...
>
> -- Ed- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Ed. Sorry to make this more complicated than it needs to be.

85Txaggie

On Nov 4, 8:36 pm, "GPE" <GPE_NoS...@Cox.net> wrote:
> "Galt" <troyandan...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> On Nov 4, 11:02 pm, "GPE" <GPE_NoS...@Cox.net> wrote:
>
> > "Galt" <troyandan...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > > Sorry for the stupid question. I am working on a Gotlieb System 1 CPU
> > > with card edge connectors. Having trouble with displays so I want to
> > > replace the connectors. I am having trouble getting the pins out of
> > > the connector and now want to replace the card edge housings along
> > > with the pins. I don't have the pin extraction tool and have now
> > > broken the first of 19. I can get the tool, but don't think even with
> > > it I will be able to run the table on the other 18. I need new
> > > housings.
> > > The first one the I am working on is the 19 pin A1 J2. I can't find
> > > a 19 pin direct replacement. Do they make these to cut to size?
> > > Would a 20 pin work?
>
> > > Can I use another combination? (4-4 pin housings and a 3 pin housing
> > > or some other combination)? Where can I get these? With this type of
> > > connector, do you need to get bigger (more positions). It doesn't
> > > look like there is space for the housing for combinations....
>
> > These housings are cheap enough to not worry about repinning the old ones.
> > For 19 pin, you want 09-01-6191
>
> >http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Categ...
>
> Thank-you!   I guess the 19 pin housing won't have the separation
> between the pins like the OEM housing does.  The original has
Ed, sent you an email as well. Do you have the 21 pin edge
connector? I did not see it on your website.

Thanks,

Carey

> 4,3,4,4,4.

> Yup -- the 09-01-6191 is the right plug.
> It has ribs between pins 4&5, 7&8, 11&12, and 15&16
> This means you have a the grouping of 4, 3, 4, 4, 4
> 1, 2, 3, 4  X  5, 6, 7  X  8, 9, 10, 11  X  12, 13, 14, 15  X  16, 17, 18,
> 19
>
> These have a rib location code of 14 -- you can see the table for this on
> pages 1 and 3 here:http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Datasheets/Molex/S...
>
> -- Ed

GPE

"85Txaggie" <85txaggie@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Ed, sent you an email as well. Do you have the 21 pin edge
> connector? I did not see it on your website.
>
> Thanks,
> Carey

Been trying to buy these for quite awhile. Molex wants a minimum buy of 10K
before they'll make another batch. I keep waiting for somebody else to make
the big buy before I can tack on but it never seems to happen.

Ed

frenchy

Just an aside tip, I had great success with shining up my dull
Gottlieb edge pins with a smidge of Mother's mag polish and a cloth,
but you still have to yank each pin+wire out of the connector to do it
right. Made the pins shine like chrome, they probably weren't that
smooth when they were new. Of course if the pins are worn out in
springiness or the wire connection is suspect then it's a different
matter.