ruby questions

Mer Gilmartin

11/7/2006 4:01:00 PM

Is it possible to use a ruby variable to pass information to a mysql
query?
If it is not possible what is the work around?
Is it Bindtag.rb?

How do you test for data captured at a button event?
When do you place a tocommand line output?
In the button event? At the button binding.

Justin Collins

Mer Gilmartin wrote:
> Is it possible to use a ruby variable to pass information to a mysql
> query?
> If it is not possible what is the work around?
> Is it Bindtag.rb?
>
> How do you test for data captured at a button event?
> When do you place a tocommand line output?
> In the button event? At the button binding.

Hi Mer,

You will need to be much more specific with your questions. From what I
can tell, you must be using some specific libraries or software.
Please let us know more exactly what you are trying to accomplish and in
what setting.

Also, on the MySQL front, yes there are ways to communicate to a MySQL
server using Ruby, for example the MySQL Ruby bindings here:
http://www.kitebird.com/articles/ruby-...

-Justin

Gerard

Dufus wrote:
> On Nov 14, 5:00 pm, pianomaven <1pianoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am always astonished at the fervour of "fans". They never call the
> > question, of course. Which is why they are inevitably unreliable.
> >

> In case you did not notice, Your European "resistance" bluff-baloney
> has been "called" in my earlier posts here. As was Church's name-
> calling even earlier in the thread. The agendas and false innuendos
> are obvious to all here. Talk about unreliable !!
>
> Dufus

What are you up to? A new pianist hype?

herman

On 15 nov, 00:24, Dufus <steveha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 5:02 pm, pianomaven <1pianoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 14, 4:00 pm, "Gerard" <g-nospam_hendrik...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Should be amusing to see them all jockey for promotion dollars
>
> And the cream, like Grosvenor, will rise to the top, as it always
> does.

No it doesn't. There are dozens of fabulous soloists who did not make
it as fabulously as the Anne-Sophie Mutters and Pogoreliches did. And,
as the latter example shows: some times the top cream collapses.

The most important thing these days in producing a top cream (apart
from technical chops and stamina) is a great back story. People need
something to talk about, and they don't want to talk about the
character of the music making.

In the case of Grosvenor the back story is: boy wonder and first
British pianist since the Great War or whatever. Let the British media
do the rest. And the aptly named Dufus.

herman

On 15 nov, 04:02, pianomaven <1pianoma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is almost as though nobody has learned anything from the Hatto
> fiasco.
>
> TD

Yikes.

pianomaven

On Nov 15, 2:47 am, "Gerard" <g-nospam_hendrik...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dufus wrote:
> > On Nov 14, 5:00 pm, pianomaven <1pianoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I am always astonished at the fervour of "fans". They never call the
> > > question, of course. Which is why they are inevitably unreliable.
>
> > In case you did not notice, Your  European "resistance" bluff-baloney
> > has been  "called" in my earlier posts here. As was Church's name-
> > calling even earlier in the thread. The agendas and false innuendos
> > are obvious to all here. Talk about unreliable !!
>
> > Dufus
>
> What are you up to? A new pianist hype?

JH revisited.

TD

pianomaven

On Nov 14, 10:08 pm, Dan Roberts <drobath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 11:00 pm, pianomaven <1pianoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am always astonished at the fervour of "fans". They never call the
> > question, of course. Which is why they are inevitably unreliable.
>
> > TD
>
> For a fascinating exposition on this statement, readers are invited to
> search Google Groups under 'Joyce Hatto' and 'Tom Deacon'.

Good lesson learned.

TD

pianomaven

On Nov 15, 3:14 am, herman <her...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 15 nov, 04:02, pianomaven <1pianoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > It is almost as though nobody has learned anything from the Hatto
> > fiasco.
>
> > TD
>
> Yikes.

Yeah. I know.

Must be some form of weird nostalgia, Herman.

TD

herman

But the analogy doesn't make sense, as you well know.

The Grosvenor kid plays his own stuff, rather than let his dad cook
the records.

I suspect what you're querying is whether this is another case of the
British classical music media (such as it is) hyping another specimen.

In that case one may wonder if it is so much different from, may I
say, Mlle Yuja Wang?

I know you happen to like her playing a lot, but the quote from Mr
Church about technical facility and amazing speed, but no depth of
interpretation whatsoever seemed remarkably suited to Wang, too, the
way I see it.

pianomaven

On Nov 15, 6:20 am, herman <her...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> But the analogy doesn't make sense, as you well know.
>
> The Grosvenor kid plays his own stuff, rather than let his dad cook
> the records.
>
> I suspect what you're querying is whether this is another case of the
> British classical music media (such as it is) hyping another specimen.

Correct.

> In that case one may wonder if it is so much different from, may I
> say, Mlle Yuja Wang?

Except that the British didn't "hype" her. Conductors fought each
other to hire her after she spent 4 years replacing ill pianists.

> I know you happen to like her playing a lot, but the quote from Mr
> Church about technical facility and amazing speed, but no depth of
> interpretation whatsoever seemed remarkably suited to Wang, too, the
> way I see it.

And this is really in the ear of the listener, Herman. I realize that.
John Gavin also has his doubts. But I have heard her a couple of times
now and remain intrigued by this little unpretentious pixie.

Interestingly enough, Steven Hough hyped Grosvenor on his blog before
her Proms appearances. People suggested we might have another Hough on
our hands. YIKES!!! As though one is not enough?

My problems with BG stem from a disastrous live recital hyped by
everyone in the UK and via the "underground", the unnamed sources
mentioned by another poster. It was an appalling display of musical
vacuity. Rhythmically flaccid, structurally flabby, the Gershwin was
unbelievably bad. The Chopin Scherzo was also a demonstration of how
not to play Chopin: all over the place in tempo, no sense of
structure, just willful display of Fingerfertigkeit gone mad. I fear
the new Chopin Scherzos will reflect those same problems.

Ever since that moment, I realized that this boy needed some musical
discipline, not the "oh, my, we have a boy genius on our hands"
laissez-faire approach of his British handlers. Then there was the
talk of his being fed up with playing the piano, also disputed by the
"sources", but still a nagging worry. I just feel all this is too
soon, too early and that we may have another shooting star on our
hands: here today, gone tomorrow. No. BG is no Evgeny Kissin, whatever
the British press might claim.

These reservations were expressed by Michael Church and they remain.
For me at least. And will remain until I see or hear signs of some
musical maturity and discipline taking hold.

Let's hear him play some Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Schubert, Bach,
etc., before we declare that he is WAM reincarnate.

TD

Rugby

On Nov 15, 5:50 am, pianomaven <1pianoma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interestingly enough, Steven Hough hyped Grosvenor on his blog...
> These reservations were expressed by Michael Church and they remain.
> For me at least...
> Let's hear him play some Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Schubert, Bach,

My word , Stephen Hough likes Grosvenor's playing !? But , Hough
could not be as good a judge of talent as TD or Church ! Nor , of
course, are the folks at the BBC New Generation Artists programme ,
who in 2010 selected Grosvenor, and since 2001 the following
pianists : Wosner, Tiberghien,Trpceski,Slobodyanik,
Piemontesi,Melnikov, Levit, Kunz,Helmchen,Hadland, Guy,Biss,
Buniatishvili,Hadland.

And you forgot to mention the allegedly parochial accolades in the
British press are matched by equally enthusiastic accolades in
German,USA, Malaysian ,other press , several blogs World-wide.
Wasssupp ? A World-wide Grosvenor - hyping conspiracy ?

A very modest , un-assuming, insightful , down to earth young man, if
you'd ever listened to any of his interviews, which you have not. From
a hard-working family , living in not exactly glamourous South End ,
where Ben helped care for his Down's Syndrome brother with whom Ben
shares a room. He has eschewed the competition circuit. That's the "
back-story."

TD seems to have heard only 1 recital , Perth ? I heard the same
recital and, like Distler, find TD's Scherzi assessment far off the
mark.Herman seems to have heard no Grosvenor recitals ? Neither seem
to have heard the Decca cd nor the earlier cd. Not clear that either
even heard the two 2011 Proms ? Many of us who have heard both cd's,
and have heard several recitals and concerto performances, are very
impressed. Whatever life path this young man chooses, and for however
long or short he chooses to make his musical career, it has been quite
a pleasure to hear his playing to date, far more so than hearing most
his age or even older. At a recent August, 2011 recital he did play,
very well, the Bach 4th Partita and Beethoven Op.109. You really
should keep up to date, TD ; I can, even from Iowa !

Each to his own, as usual. But, obviously some will criticize despite
little experience with his playing. Church was even arrogantly
critical of the pianist's First Night Proms clothes ! You are correct
Grosvenor is no Kissin ; Grosvenor's playing is more interesting these
days than is Kissin's. Time will tell, of course . But, immensely
enjoyable playing to date; pity you've missed so much of it.

Dufus