[OT] the name of Matz

Byung-Hee HWANG

11/7/2006 2:27:00 PM

Hello,

I saw the full name of Matz, ruby creater, on the web [1]. However, I
don't know what is family name in his full name. AFAIK, CIA uses all
capital letters for family names because the factbook users are faced
with a world of different cultures and naming conventions [2].
Therefore, I suggest that the full name of Matz might be mark from
"Yukihiro Matsumoto" to "Yukihiro MATSUMOTO" if his family name is
"Matsumoto".

Sincerely,

Byung-Hee

[1] http://www.ruby-lang.org...
[2] https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/docs/notesan...

41 Answers

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: [OT] the name of Matz"
on Tue, 7 Nov 2006 23:26:56 +0900, Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:

|I saw the full name of Matz, ruby creater, on the web [1]. However, I
|don't know what is family name in his full name. AFAIK, CIA uses all
|capital letters for family names because the factbook users are faced
|with a world of different cultures and naming conventions [2].
|Therefore, I suggest that the full name of Matz might be mark from
|"Yukihiro Matsumoto" to "Yukihiro MATSUMOTO" if his family name is
|"Matsumoto".

FYI, My family name is Matsumoto. I don't see family-name-capital
convention much in the English speaking countries, I hesitated to do
so in public. Just call me Matz.

matz.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Gregory Brown

On 11/7/06, Josef 'Jupp' Schugt <jupp@gmx.de> wrote:

> * Byung-Hee HWANG, 11/07/2006 03:26 PM:
> > I saw the full name of Matz, ruby creater, on the web [1]. However, I
> > don't know what is family name in his full name. AFAIK, CIA uses all
> > capital letters for family names because the factbook users are faced
> > with a world of different cultures and naming conventions [2].
> > Therefore, I suggest that the full name of Matz might be mark from
> > "Yukihiro Matsumoto" to "Yukihiro MATSUMOTO" if his family name is
> > "Matsumoto".
>
> Talking about conventions one should keep in mind that ruby-talk also
> is comp.lang.ruby. On the Usenet writing words in all uppercase means
> that they are shouted (unless they are acronyms).

MASUMOTO!!! ;)

By the way, that convention is true across IRC,Instant Messanger, Email, etc.
It's not Usenet specific. (Though i'm not certain, it may indeed have
originated there)

Gregory Brown

On 11/7/06, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/7/06, Josef 'Jupp' Schugt <jupp@gmx.de> wrote:

> > Talking about conventions one should keep in mind that ruby-talk also
> > is comp.lang.ruby. On the Usenet writing words in all uppercase means
> > that they are shouted (unless they are acronyms).
>
> MASUMOTO!!! ;)

Not only was I yelling, I was also spelling Matz's name wrong.
<hangs head>

on Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:27:00 +0900, "Gregory Brown" <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> writes:

|> MASUMOTO!!! ;)
|
|Not only was I yelling, I was also spelling Matz's name wrong.
|<hangs head>

And it was my classmate's family name. Really.

matz.

Dido Sevilla

On 11/7/06, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> FYI, My family name is Matsumoto. I don't see family-name-capital
> convention much in the English speaking countries, I hesitated to do
> so in public. Just call me Matz.

By the way, I never seem to have seen Matz's name in Kanji. His name
in the foreword of the Pickaxe book is all Hiragana. I imagine it
might be:

????

but then again, there seem to be hundreds of ways of writing ????
(Yukihiro) as a given name, and about a handful more ways to write the
surname ???? (Matsumoto).

on Wed, 8 Nov 2006 13:55:50 +0900, "Dido Sevilla" <dido.sevilla@gmail.com> writes:

|????

The above Kanji rarely reads "Yukihiro". For curious, mine is

?? ??

matz.

Devin Mullins

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Just call me Matz.
Question: When spoken, should it be 'a' as in "hats" or 'a' as in "blah"
(or, oh, say, "Matsumoto")?

Devin (as in 'French gin')

on Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:10:43 +0900, Devin Mullins <twifkak@comcast.net> writes:

|> Just call me Matz.
|Question: When spoken, should it be 'a' as in "hats" or 'a' as in "blah"
|(or, oh, say, "Matsumoto")?

Ah, I was asked same question at the last RubyConf. The official
answer is "I don't care" (note: Japanese has only 5 vowels). English
speakers seem to use the former.

matz.

andreas.krohn