VERBOSE and "warning: Insecure world writable dir..."

Maciej Pilichowski

11/4/2006 8:54:00 AM

Hello,

I've just got very popular -- as I guess from google hits -- warning
about insecure dir when I run something like this
puts %x{bzip2 -9 #{s}}

where s is file to compress.

I found many 'solutions' by changing the access to directories to
satisfy ruby, I don't want to do this but just turn *this* warning
off. I found the answer -- setting $VERBOSE to nil works great,
however I guess it shuts down all warnings.

So how can I turn off this one and only type of warning? And I don't
want to mess with my system settings, so please do not discuss this
subject.

Thanks in advance for help,
have a nice day
bye
--
Maciej "MACiAS" Pilichowski http://bantu.fm.i...
6 Answers

Ara.T.Howard

Maciej Pilichowski

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 23:49:51 +0900, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:

>> I found the answer -- setting $VERBOSE to nil works great

>$VERBOSE = nil

Yes, indeed, I was curious how to set the variable to nil, gee...
Please, read my question -- my problem is I want to turn off only
specific warnings, not all.

have a nice day
bye
--
Maciej "MACiAS" Pilichowski http://bantu.fm.i...

Gavin Kistner

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> I've just got very popular -- as I guess from google hits -- warning
> about insecure dir when I run something like this
> puts %x{bzip2 -9 #{s}}
> where s is file to compress.
>
> I found many 'solutions' by changing the access to directories to
> satisfy ruby, I don't want to do this but just turn *this* warning
> off. I found the answer -- setting $VERBOSE to nil works great,
> however I guess it shuts down all warnings.

There are also other answers, if you continue Googling. The first page
of google hits for that phrase includes both a patch to 1.8.5 as well
as several mentions of changing the $PATH.

Ara.T.Howard

Ara.T.Howard

David Vallner

ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote: