Re: Just a question to throw out there...

Brad Tilley

11/2/2006 7:58:00 PM

Quoting Skotty <shyguyfrenzy@gmail.com>:

> Or is there something else I should know first BEFORE going to Ruby?

I'd suggest a 'Computers & Networking for Dummies' type book that gives a broad
overview of how computers and networks work. Get one of those and experiment a
bit with your home computer. Develop a basic understanding of concepts such as
tcp/ip, localhost, dns, bytes, bits, files, etc. You do not need to master
these things... just understand them enough so that you can explain them to
yourself or someone else on a very basic level. Then come back to programming
and it will all make much more sense to you.

Programming is not an island unto itself. People try to begin programming
without having much knowledge about computers and networks in general and
become frustrated. This is like attempting to work on a car when you have no
real concept of what a car is... how to drive it or how it should interact with
the road and other cars, etc.

I don't say this to discourage you and I don't mean it in a negative way. I only
mean to suggest that you look beyond Ruby and programming in general and gain a
better understanding of the foundations of computing. Doing so will help you
put all the pieces together.

Best of luck,
Brad

2 Answers

Skotty

Yah, see that's what I figured it's more than just "me learn to program, me
learn good."

I don't really have a general knowledge of computer functions, and part of
the problem is i'm always too afraid to mess with that stuff. I know how to
do the very basic of things like restarting a web service and IP address but
that's about it. It would probably have been more helpful had I actually
started sooner and paid attention to these kinds of things.

Anyways you all have been really really nice and helpful and I'll be sure to
check some of these links out. I can't thank you all enough.

Webpage (www.freewebs.com/scottygiveshighfives)
Email: Shyguyfrenzy@gmail.com
(That's a mario reference.)

You sing a new song, unsung.
>> Or is there something else I should know first BEFORE going to Ruby?
>
> I'd suggest a 'Computers & Networking for Dummies' type book that gives a
> broad
> overview of how computers and networks work. Get one of those and
> experiment a
> bit with your home computer. Develop a basic understanding of concepts
> such as
> tcp/ip, localhost, dns, bytes, bits, files, etc. You do not need to master
> these things... just understand them enough so that you can explain them
> yourself or someone else on a very basic level. Then come back to
> programming
> and it will all make much more sense to you.
>
> Programming is not an island unto itself. People try to begin programming
> without having much knowledge about computers and networks in general and
> become frustrated. This is like attempting to work on a car when you have
> no
> real concept of what a car is... how to drive it or how it should interact
> with
> the road and other cars, etc.
>
> I don't say this to discourage you and I don't mean it in a negative way.
> I only
> mean to suggest that you look beyond Ruby and programming in general and
> gain a
> better understanding of the foundations of computing. Doing so will help
> you
> put all the pieces together.
>
> Best of luck,
> Brad