Re: Just a question to throw out there...

James Gray

11/2/2006 7:34:00 PM

On Nov 2, 2006, at 12:23 PM, Skotty wrote:

> Another noobrube question.
>
> Is this the "easiest" language to learn? I'm well aware that none
> of these programming languages are "easy" but I've been struggling
> with this for a while and don't want to give up.
>
> Or is there something else I should know first BEFORE going to
> Ruby? Why's guide is a biggggg help but I don't know why I can't
> retain this information.
>
> Any help guides?
> Anything?

There was a fun side conversation on this at RubyConf this year.
Basically, you need to know this: Computers are really, really
stupid. ;)

Don't buy that? Try this exercise:

Make up a random number.

You had no trouble doing that, right? Well congratulations, because
you just leap ahead of about 30 years of computer research in a few
seconds. ;)

Obviously, I'm being flippant here, but the point stands. Learning
to program is hard because you need to dumb yourself down to the
level of the machine and express problems in terms it can understand.

Did you ever play that game in school where you had to tell your
teacher how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? You write up
what you just know are excellent instructions and as you read them
the teacher makes a mess all over the place, spreading jelly on
unopened bread packages, table-tops, and other children, just by
following the instructions literally. The teacher is simulating a
computer here.

In the RubyConf discussion we decided that our popular books and
tutorials don't always do a very good job of teaching you how to
think like that. Therein lies at least one hurdle of learning to
program.

Here's another interesting point: most of us who have been speaking
to machines for a reasonable period of time can pick up new languages
pretty easily. The reason is that we already have a lot of practice
with the thinking-dumb part and we just need to learn the new
syntax. (Our books and tutorials *are* good at teaching this.)

Anyway, the point of all this is: don't panic. We all go through
this adjustment period you're in now. It gets easier. The problem
is that you're just way too intelligent. Don't worry though, we'll
have you dumbed down in no time! :D

Welcome to programming.

James Edward Gray II

3 Answers

Skotty

That was the most amusing email I've read all day. Thank you, that made me
feel about 300 times more confident.

Naturally I think a major part of my problem is I'm trying TOO hard to
become a programmer and not enough time focusing on the basics. I've read
several other pieces of code, and scripts and thought "well hey i can do
that." which I guess is probably not the best way to go about it.

I AM learning, I mean I guess at least a little bit. But it feels like it's
taking me a really long time to retain.

Well thanks for the welcome, I'm sure I'll get it Im just frustrated that
I'm not getting it right away.

Skt
Webpage (www.freewebs.com/scottygiveshighfives)
Email: Shyguyfrenzy@gmail.com
(That's a mario reference.)

You sing a new song, unsung.
> On Nov 2, 2006, at 12:23 PM, Skotty wrote:
>
>> Another noobrube question.
>>
>> Is this the "easiest" language to learn? I'm well aware that none of
>> these programming languages are "easy" but I've been struggling with
>> this for a while and don't want to give up.
>>
>> Or is there something else I should know first BEFORE going to Ruby?
>> Why's guide is a biggggg help but I don't know why I can't retain this
>> information.
>>
>> Any help guides?
>> Anything?
>
> There was a fun side conversation on this at RubyConf this year.
> Basically, you need to know this: Computers are really, really stupid.
> ;)
>
> Don't buy that? Try this exercise:
>
> Make up a random number.
>
> You had no trouble doing that, right? Well congratulations, because you
> just leap ahead of about 30 years of computer research in a few seconds.
> ;)
>
> Obviously, I'm being flippant here, but the point stands. Learning to
> program is hard because you need to dumb yourself down to the level of
> the machine and express problems in terms it can understand.
>
> Did you ever play that game in school where you had to tell your teacher
> how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? You write up what you
> just know are excellent instructions and as you read them the teacher
> makes a mess all over the place, spreading jelly on unopened bread
> packages, table-tops, and other children, just by following the
> instructions literally. The teacher is simulating a computer here.
>
> In the RubyConf discussion we decided that our popular books and
> tutorials don't always do a very good job of teaching you how to think
> like that. Therein lies at least one hurdle of learning to program.
>
> Here's another interesting point: most of us who have been speaking to
> machines for a reasonable period of time can pick up new languages pretty
> easily. The reason is that we already have a lot of practice with the
> thinking-dumb part and we just need to learn the new syntax. (Our books
> and tutorials *are* good at teaching this.)
>
> Anyway, the point of all this is: don't panic. We all go through this
> adjustment period you're in now. It gets easier. The problem is that
> you're just way too intelligent. Don't worry though, we'll have you
> dumbed down in no time! :D
>
> Welcome to programming.
>
> James Edward Gray II

Ilan Berci

James Gray wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2006, at 12:23 PM, Skotty wrote:

> Here's another interesting point: most of us who have been speaking
> to machines for a reasonable period of time can pick up new languages
> pretty easily. The reason is that we already have a lot of practice
> with the thinking-dumb part and we just need to learn the new
> syntax. (Our books and tutorials *are* good at teaching this.)
>
> Anyway, the point of all this is: don't panic. We all go through
> this adjustment period you're in now. It gets easier. The problem
> is that you're just way too intelligent. Don't worry though, we'll
> have you dumbed down in no time! :D
>
> Welcome to programming.
>
> James Edward Gray II

I greatly respect James's opinion on practicaly everything he writes on
this forum so obviously after reading this one, I suddenly feel like
killing myself. :(

James Gray

On Nov 7, 2006, at 11:13 AM, Ilan Berci wrote:

> James Gray wrote:
>> On Nov 2, 2006, at 12:23 PM, Skotty wrote:
>

>> Here's another interesting point: most of us who have been speaking
>> to machines for a reasonable period of time can pick up new languages
>> pretty easily. The reason is that we already have a lot of practice
>> with the thinking-dumb part and we just need to learn the new
>> syntax. (Our books and tutorials *are* good at teaching this.)
>>
>> Anyway, the point of all this is: don't panic. We all go through
>> this adjustment period you're in now. It gets easier. The problem
>> is that you're just way too intelligent. Don't worry though, we'll
>> have you dumbed down in no time! :D
>>
>> Welcome to programming.
>>
>> James Edward Gray II
>
> I greatly respect James's opinion on practicaly everything he
> writes on
> this forum so obviously after reading this one, I suddenly feel like
> killing myself. :(

Ack, don't say that. I was *trying* to provide encouragement! ;)

James Edward Gray II