From: <dblack@wobblini.net>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: Just a question to throw out there...

> Hi --
>
> On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Skotty wrote:
>
>> Another noobrube question.
>>
>> Is this the "easiest" language to learn? I'm well aware that none of
>> these programming languages are "easy" but I've been struggling with this
>> for a while and don't want to give up.
>>
>> Or is there something else I should know first BEFORE going to Ruby?
>> Why's guide is a biggggg help but I don't know why I can't retain this
>> information.
>>
>> Any help guides?
>> Anything?
>
> Have you looked at Chris Pine's "Learn to Program" book? It uses Ruby
> as the instruction language.
>

> David
>
> --
> David A. Black | dblack@wobblini.net
> Author of "Ruby for Rails" [1] | Ruby/Rails training & consultancy [3]
> DABlog (DAB's Weblog) [2] | Co-director, Ruby Central, Inc. [4]
> [1] http://www.manning... | [3] http://www.rubypoweran...
> [2] http://dablog.r... | [4] http://www.rubyc...

Chris Hulan

Skotty wrote:
> Yah David,
>
> Maybe it's just my own lack of comprehension I just don't know why none of
> this is sticking. I've been dabbling with Ruby for a good month now and only
> know the very basics.

Have a look at this research paper
(http://www.cs.mdx.ac.uk/research/PhDArea/saeed/...).
It offers to explain why some people take to programming like a
fish to water, and others seem to never get the hang of it.
Maybe it will help you decide where you sit.

In any case, keep plugging at it. I hear the Chris Pine's 'Learn to
Program' is good, and you can also look at 'Programming Ruby'
(first edition is included with Ruby and available online [I like this
version http://phrogz.net/Progra...])

Have a look at the Ruby Quiz (http://rub...), lots of good
relatively short and idiomatic Ruby code.

cheers
Chris

Skotty

Yah I've got Why's guide bookmarked. I really enjoy his style of writing and
his little cartoons are pretty darn funny.

The only problem i see is that it's kind of distracting when he goes into
his stories and what not. But otherwise a very good source.

Webpage (www.freewebs.com/scottygiveshighfives)
Email: Shyguyfrenzy@gmail.com
(That's a mario reference.)

You sing a new song, unsung.