Re: I am noob

David Roberts

11/1/2006 6:05:00 PM

Fatih Fatih wrote:
> i need many documents and help, do yo have some advice,
> i need free pdf books,

See -

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/docu...

Jack Linthicum

On Nov 22, 6:21 am, Renia <re...@DELETEotenet.gr> wrote:
> James Hogg wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 05:11:01 -0000, "D. Spencer Hines"
> > <pant...@excelsior.com> wrote:
>
> >> "Patriotism is as much a virtue as justice, and is as necessary for the
> >> support of societies as natural affection is for the support of families."
>
> > The big difference is that patriotism is not a "natural"
> > affection, it's a social construction (read Benedict Anderson).
>
> Social Science again, the academic field for idealist people without the
> intellect to study anything else, so they make things up and call them
> "constructs" or "models".
>
> Patriotism is not a "construct". It's an extension of man's natural need
> to defend his own family and territory.
>
> > If it were natural, there would be no need for rulers to expend
> > so much effort urging and manipulating people to display
> > patriotism.
>
> This depends on the ruler. A cruel ruler with charisma can drive his
> people to super-patriotism. On the other hand, a benevolent ruler of a
> melting-pot nation might struggle if the cultural core of his country
> has been weakened.
>
> I think you need to cite some cases of rulers expending so much effort,
> as you say.
>
> > And if the family is such a good model for an entire society as
> > in this case, why not apply other family principles to the state,
> > such as the strong helping the weak, redistribution of wealth,
> > and so on?
>
> Non sequiteur. Where, in the quote above, did Rush suggest family is a
> good model for an entire society?
>
> But, as you mention it, some of the strong do help the weak and
> redistribute wealth, though many don't. (Think of the super-rich like
> McCartney and others, who give quite a bit to charity but whose efforts
> go unsung.)
>
> The problem with redistributing wealth, is that if all the money in the
> world was equally distributed among all the adults, so everyone had
> exactly the same amount, that money would soon be reshuffled to the
> inequal state we all know and love today. Some people would gamble
> theirs away, others would be taken advantage of by greedy people, some
> would come up with a popular product or service and become rich through
> it. Idealists fail to understand human nature.

That $700 billion that got passed the other day would have meant $2300
for every man, woman and child in the United States. More useful than
shown by the present results.

James Hogg

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:21:11 +0200, Renia <renia@DELETEotenet.gr>
wrote:

>James Hogg wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 05:11:01 -0000, "D. Spencer Hines"
>> <panther@excelsior.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Patriotism is as much a virtue as justice, and is as necessary for the
>>> support of societies as natural affection is for the support of families."
>>

>> The big difference is that patriotism is not a "natural"
>> affection, it's a social construction (read Benedict Anderson).
>
>Social Science again, the academic field for idealist people without the
>intellect to study anything else, so they make things up and call them
>"constructs" or "models".

Don't insult Anderson, a respected professor emeritus of
international studies, a political scientist whose undergraduate
education was in classics. Do you really think he didn't have the
intellect to study anything else?

>Patriotism is not a "construct". It's an extension of man's natural need
>to defend his own family and territory.

Only if you're into sociobiology.

>> If it were natural, there would be no need for rulers to expend
>> so much effort urging and manipulating people to display
>> patriotism.
>
>This depends on the ruler. A cruel ruler with charisma can drive his
>people to super-patriotism. On the other hand, a benevolent ruler of a
>melting-pot nation might struggle if the cultural core of his country
>has been weakened.
>
>I think you need to cite some cases of rulers expending so much effort,
>as you say.

Read Imagined Comunities and countless other works on the
construction of nations. Hobsbawm isn't bad either.

>> And if the family is such a good model for an entire society as
>> in this case, why not apply other family principles to the state,
>> such as the strong helping the weak, redistribution of wealth,
>> and so on?
>
>Non sequiteur [sic]. Where, in the quote above, did Rush suggest family is a
>good model for an entire society?

He didn't. I suggested it by extension. Readers are allowed to
think for themselves and draw their own conclusions from a text.

>But, as you mention it, some of the strong do help the weak and
>redistribute wealth, though many don't. (Think of the super-rich like
>McCartney and others, who give quite a bit to charity but whose efforts
>go unsung.)
>
>The problem with redistributing wealth, is that if all the money in the
>world was equally distributed among all the adults, so everyone had
>exactly the same amount, that money would soon be reshuffled to the
>inequal state we all know and love today. Some people would gamble
>theirs away, others would be taken advantage of by greedy people, some
>would come up with a popular product or service and become rich through
>it. Idealists fail to understand human nature.

Here's how the redistribution of wealth should be implemented.
Collect all the money in the world and divide it equally. Then,
when I have spent all my share, we collect all the money again,
and so on.

James

Renia

James Hogg wrote:

> Here's how the redistribution of wealth should be implemented.
> Collect all the money in the world and divide it equally. Then,
> when I have spent all my share, we collect all the money again,
> and so on.

Regardless that some individuals are inherently lazy and would rub their
hands with glee every time such a periodic redistribution took place,
while those who studied and worked hard would wonder why they bothered.

Under such a plan, it would be better if no one went to work at all and
the money just got redistributed periodically.

Of course, there would be no shops in which to buy food or clothes, no
banks in which to pay your non-existent electricity and phone bills, no
garages in which to buy petrol for the car you can't buy. If no one
worked, there would be no services or products.

Now tell me about bartering.

Renia

James Hogg wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:21:11 +0200, Renia <renia@DELETEotenet.gr>
> wrote:
>
>> James Hogg wrote:

>>> The big difference is that patriotism is not a "natural"
>>> affection, it's a social construction (read Benedict Anderson).
>> Social Science again, the academic field for idealist people without the
>> intellect to study anything else, so they make things up and call them
>> "constructs" or "models".
>
> Don't insult Anderson, a respected professor emeritus of
> international studies, a political scientist whose undergraduate
> education was in classics. Do you really think he didn't have the
> intellect to study anything else?

I didn't insult Anderson. You did. As you say, he's a classicist and
political scientist, not a social scientist.

I'm insulting those students of the UK redbrick universities built in
the 1960s who have studied "Sociology" or "Social Science", built on the
back of work by Anderson and the rest. It's a non-subject. I know,
because I studied it myself.

>> Patriotism is not a "construct". It's an extension of man's natural need
>> to defend his own family and territory.
>
> Only if you're into sociobiology.

Hardly a relevant answer.

>>> If it were natural, there would be no need for rulers to expend
>>> so much effort urging and manipulating people to display
>>> patriotism.
>> This depends on the ruler. A cruel ruler with charisma can drive his
>> people to super-patriotism. On the other hand, a benevolent ruler of a
>> melting-pot nation might struggle if the cultural core of his country
>> has been weakened.
>>
>> I think you need to cite some cases of rulers expending so much effort,
>> as you say.
>
> Read Imagined Comunities and countless other works on the
> construction of nations. Hobsbawm isn't bad either.

I'm a medieval historian so I have no time to read Anderson. I've read
some Hobsbawm. Like Anderson, he's a Marxist. Most social scientists
totally misunderstood Marx.

>>> And if the family is such a good model for an entire society as
>>> in this case, why not apply other family principles to the state,
>>> such as the strong helping the weak, redistribution of wealth,
>>> and so on?
>> Non sequiteur [sic]. Where, in the quote above, did Rush suggest family is a
>> good model for an entire society?
>
> He didn't. I suggested it by extension. Readers are allowed to
> think for themselves and draw their own conclusions from a text.

That would normally be so, except the conclusion you drew just wasn't
there. You suggested it yourself, by extention, as you say.

J A

"James Hogg" <Jas.HoggOUT@SPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 05:11:01 -0000, "D. Spencer Hines"
> <panther@excelsior.com> wrote:
>
>>"Patriotism is as much a virtue as justice, and is as necessary for the
>>support of societies as natural affection is for the support of families."

Anyone who supports a poor national leader, who is damaging the country,
would not be patriotic, correct?

James Hogg

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 14:54:31 +0200, Renia <renia@DELETEotenet.gr>
wrote:

>James Hogg wrote:
>

>> Here's how the redistribution of wealth should be implemented.
>> Collect all the money in the world and divide it equally. Then,
>> when I have spent all my share, we collect all the money again,
>> and so on.
>
>Regardless that some individuals are inherently lazy and would rub their
>hands with glee every time such a periodic redistribution took place,
>while those who studied and worked hard would wonder why they bothered.

Let's hope other readers got the joke. The key words were the
first person pronouns in "when I have spent all my share".

James

James Hogg

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 15:03:27 +0200, Renia <renia@DELETEotenet.gr>
wrote:

>James Hogg wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:21:11 +0200, Renia <renia@DELETEotenet.gr>
>> wrote:

>>> Non sequiteur [sic]. Where, in the quote above, did Rush suggest family is a
>>> good model for an entire society?
>>
>> He didn't. I suggested it by extension. Readers are allowed to
>> think for themselves and draw their own conclusions from a text.
>
>That would normally be so, except the conclusion you drew just wasn't
>there. You suggested it yourself, by extention, as you say.

No, I said by extension.

Anyway, to get back to patriotism. The word isn't recorded in
English until 1716. Even later are French patriotisme (1749) and
German Patriotismus (1761). The adjective patriotic is first
recorded in 1737 in the modern sense. Before that it had the same
meaning as the late Latin word patrioticus: "of or belonging to
one's country".

Patriot is older, but the earliest sense is "fellow-countryman".
At first the modern meaning could only be expressed by combining
the noun with ?good?, ?true?, ?worthy?, or some other
commendatory adjective. ?Patriot? on its own meaning a patriotic
person is rare before 1680. At that time it was often applied to
a person who supported the rights of the country against the King
and court, rather than a nationalist.

So you can see when the modern concept of patriotism arose: in
the same century as the modern concept of the nation. Before
that, English speakers had no abstract noun to denote the love of
one's country. If they wanted to talk about that, they had to use
a more cumbersome phrase.

Words and ideas go together. Patriotism is not a primordial,
natural sentiment or there would have been a word for it.

James

James Beck

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:22:32 +0000, James Hogg
<Jas.HoggOUT@SPAM.gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 15:03:27 +0200, Renia <renia@DELETEotenet.gr>
>wrote:
>
>>James Hogg wrote:

>>> He didn't. I suggested it by extension. Readers are allowed to
>>> think for themselves and draw their own conclusions from a text.
>>
>>That would normally be so, except the conclusion you drew just wasn't
>>there. You suggested it yourself, by extention, as you say.
>
>No, I said by extension.
>
>Anyway, to get back to patriotism. The word isn't recorded in
>English until 1716. Even later are French patriotisme (1749) and
>German Patriotismus (1761). The adjective patriotic is first
>recorded in 1737 in the modern sense. Before that it had the same
>meaning as the late Latin word patrioticus: "of or belonging to
>one's country".
>
>Patriot is older, but the earliest sense is "fellow-countryman".
>At first the modern meaning could only be expressed by combining
>the noun with ?good?, ?true?, ?worthy?, or some other
>commendatory adjective. ?Patriot? on its own meaning a patriotic
>person is rare before 1680. At that time it was often applied to
>a person who supported the rights of the country against the King
>and court, rather than a nationalist.
>
>So you can see when the modern concept of patriotism arose: in
>the same century as the modern concept of the nation. Before
>that, English speakers had no abstract noun to denote the love of
>one's country. If they wanted to talk about that, they had to use
>a more cumbersome phrase.
>
>Words and ideas go together. Patriotism is not a primordial,
>natural sentiment or there would have been a word for it.

Fascinating theory. What is the native English word for 'zeitgeist?'
Are you arguing that only the Germans noticed that eras could be
characterized by things other than calendar date? Is it your argument
that individual words carry more information than phrases, too? How
about books?

Your argument would be stronger if ran more the other way. That is,
'patriot' was a perfectly good word with a nice, pleasant meaning
until it got hijacked and wordsmithed into 'patriotism,' which now
seems to mean pretty much whatever the speaker thinks it means. IOW,
it morphed from a general collective noun into a polarizing
catagorical signifier.

James Hogg

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 22:54:28 -0500, James Beck
<jdbeck11209@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:22:32 +0000, James Hogg
><Jas.HoggOUT@SPAM.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 15:03:27 +0200, Renia <renia@DELETEotenet.gr>
>>wrote:

>>>That would normally be so, except the conclusion you drew just wasn't
>>>there. You suggested it yourself, by extention, as you say.
>>
>>No, I said by extension.
>>
>>Anyway, to get back to patriotism. The word isn't recorded in
>>English until 1716. Even later are French patriotisme (1749) and
>>German Patriotismus (1761). The adjective patriotic is first
>>recorded in 1737 in the modern sense. Before that it had the same
>>meaning as the late Latin word patrioticus: "of or belonging to
>>one's country".
>>
>>Patriot is older, but the earliest sense is "fellow-countryman".
>>At first the modern meaning could only be expressed by combining
>>the noun with ?good?, ?true?, ?worthy?, or some other
>>commendatory adjective. ?Patriot? on its own meaning a patriotic
>>person is rare before 1680. At that time it was often applied to
>>a person who supported the rights of the country against the King
>>and court, rather than a nationalist.
>>
>>So you can see when the modern concept of patriotism arose: in
>>the same century as the modern concept of the nation. Before
>>that, English speakers had no abstract noun to denote the love of
>>one's country. If they wanted to talk about that, they had to use
>>a more cumbersome phrase.
>>
>>Words and ideas go together. Patriotism is not a primordial,
>>natural sentiment or there would have been a word for it.
>
>Fascinating theory. What is the native English word for 'zeitgeist?'
>Are you arguing that only the Germans noticed that eras could be
>characterized by things other than calendar date? Is it your argument
>that individual words carry more information than phrases, too? How
>about books?

I think that the words we have available to us exert some
influence on the way we think and the way we categorise the world
around us (and a literate culture like ours classifies the world
in a completely different way from an oral culture, as Luria,
Goody and Ong have shown).

If a concept is important to the speakers of a language, they
tend to have an easy linguistic way to express it. In the 18th
century, English speakers obviously developed a need to speak
about patriotism as an abstract concept, so the word was created
to express the idea. People may have felt some sort of love for
their country before this, but they spoke and wrote about it in
different ways. You would need to read a lot of writings from the
16th and 17th centuries to see exactly how they expressed this
without using the word "patriotism", but I think it's a safe bet
to say there was an increase in the frequency of talk about this
concept in the 18th century. Patriotism became a vogue word
because the idea became fashionable at the time. It was part of
the, well, Zeitgeist.

And the same applies to that word which you brought up. I'm not
arguing that only the Germans noticed that eras could be
characterized by things other than calendar date, but it was a
German who felt the need to encapsulate the idea in a single word
in 1789 (the 18th-century date is no coincidence), first recorded
in the phrase "zeit- und nationalgeist". Note the simultaneous
invocation of a national spirit in the days when the idea of
nationalism was burgeoning.

So, the concept of patriotism was "invented" at the time when the
Zeitgeist required it.

>Your argument would be stronger if ran more the other way. That is,
>'patriot' was a perfectly good word with a nice, pleasant meaning
>until it got hijacked and wordsmithed into 'patriotism,' which now
>seems to mean pretty much whatever the speaker thinks it means. IOW,
>it morphed from a general collective noun into a polarizing
>catagorical signifier.

It morphed from the concrete word "patriot" meaning "someone from
your own country" into "someone who supports the country against
the king" and then "someone who loves and supports his nation".
Then a need was felt for an abstract term to express the
sentiment felt by this kind of patriot, which is how the word
"patriotism" came into being. And as you rightly point out, that
sentiment can take different forms and the word can mean pretty
much what the speaker thinks it means.

The meaning certainly has changed, according to the Historical
Dictionary of the Enlightenment (p. 314):

"during the 18th century patriotism belonged with such inclusive
and cohesive values as humanity and beneficence. In the discourse
of the second half of the 18th century, a person who provided
relief for the poor, or objected to excessively harsh penal laws,
or who criticized institutions such as serfdom or slavery, was
likely to be described as a good patriot".

This could be one ingredient in the kind of patriotism that
Benjamin Rush, the humanitarian, abolitionist and opponent of
capital punishment, meant in 1773 when he wrote: "Patriotism is
as much a virtue as justice, and is as necessary for the support
of societies as natural affection is for the support of families.
The Amor Patriae is both a moral and a religious duty. It
comprehends not only the love of our neighbors but of millions of
our fellow creatures, not only of the present but of future
generations."

However, it is clear that his patriotism also included an element
of early nationalism. Those beloved "fellow creatures" are only
fellow Americans. A sense of community with all the other people
in the young republic obviously did not come naturally but had to
be instilled from above. A nation had to be built by educating
the young to produce homogeneous patriots. Rush describes this in
his essay "Of the Mode of Education Proper in a Republic":

"The first remark that I shall make upon this subject is, that an
education in our own, is to be preferred to an education in a
foreign country. The principle of patriotism stands in need of
the reinforcement of prejudice, and it is well known that our
strongest prejudices in favour of our country are formed in the
first one and twenty years of our lives."

"I conceive the education of our youth in this country to be
peculiarly necessary in Pennsylvania, while our citizens are
composed of the natives of so many different kingdoms in Europe.
Our schools of learning, by producing one general, and uniform
system of education, will render the mass of the people more
homogeneous, and thereby fit them more easily for uniform and
peaceable government."

Freedom of religion did not mean freedom from religion.
Christianity had to be inculcated too:

"Such is my veneration for every religion that reveals the
attributes of the Deity, or a future state of rewards and
punishments, that I had rather see the opinions of Confucius or
Mahomed inculcated upon our youth, than see them grow up wholly
devoid of a system of religious principles. But the religion I
mean to recommend in this place, is that of the New Testament."

And all this candidly admitted brainwashing is intended to have
the following effect:

"From the observations that have been made it is plain, that I
consider it is possible to convert men into republican machines."

James

James Hogg

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:01:18 -0500, James Beck
<jdbeck11209@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:02:28 +0000, James Hogg
><Jas.HoggOUT@SPAM.gmail.com> wrote:

<snip to get to Benjamin Rush's aim for education>

>>And all this candidly admitted brainwashing is intended to have
>>the following effect:
>>
>>"From the observations that have been made it is plain, that I
>>consider it is possible to convert men into republican machines."
>
>Yes. They morphed a perfectly good word into a propaganda tool. In
>doing that, it not only lost its original meaning, but it also has no
>generally acceptable meaning now. When it comes up, it is commonly
>used as a political bludgeon to negate the opposition regardless of
>its views. Consequently, we usually have some idea what it isn't,
>though that depends on which set of jackboots are stomping loudest.
>Mercifully, so far the opposition has (usually) been free to object.

Your image of jackboots fits spookily well with Rush's image of
men converted into machines.

James