Re: Duck typing and the Standard Library

Brian Hartin

10/31/2006 8:05:00 PM

Why is it bad practice to check the type of a value at runtime? I'm new
to Ruby, but I thought that I had read that it is dynamically, strongly
typed, meaning that variables do not have types but values do. I would
think that it would be common to check types at run time.

I would think that checking types of values would be part and parcel of
good object-oriented programming. Doesn't OO insist that classes are
more than the sum of their methods? Does duck-typing contradict this?
Does it expect us to treat the following classes as
assignment-compatible?

class DatabaseConnection
def open()
#...
end

def close()
#...
end

# Returns true if the connection has been opened.
def check()
# ...

class BankAccount
def open()
#...
end

def close()
#...
end

# Returns a Check object with a new check number.
# Fails if open has not been called.
def check()
#...

The contracts of these classes are totally different.