GEM Problem

Rafael George

10/31/2006 1:59:00 PM

Hi guys im getting this error using gems on windows im behind a proxy
but i set it to work from the command line. So i really don't know
what the problem is.

Thanks in advance

Error message
--------------------------------

ERROR: While executing gem ... (URI::InvalidURIError)
can not set user with registry or opaque

--
Grimoire Guru
SourceMage GNU/Linux

7 Answers

Rafael George

Well im using gem in a Microsoft Windows cmd, i don't know if its have
some problems with the environment or something like that.

--
Grimoire Guru
SourceMage GNU/Linux

Rafael George

On 11/3/06, shiwei zhang <shiwei1.zhang@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Pls pay attention to the points below:
> 1) Did you use a firewall that might block gem's communication? You can turn
> off your firewall to have a try.
I don't have a local firewall.
> 2) Did you set a correct env variable HTTP_PROXY? Or did you add the option
> "-p" to your gem command?
Yes im using HTTP_PROXY, i tested with pear and its works fine.
> -p, --[no-]http-proxy [URL] Use HTTP proxy for remote operations
> 3) Can you ping urls like http://gems.rub... successfully?
No i can't ping it, but that only means that icmp is blocked i thought
gems used HTTP connection, anyway is there another solution for me to
get rails and mongrel ?

Thanks in advance

--
Grimoire Guru
SourceMage GNU/Linux

David Vallner

Rafael George wrote:
> No i can't ping it, but that only means that icmp is blocked i thought
> gems used HTTP connection, anyway is there another solution for me to
> get rails and mongrel ?

When all else fails (your local proxying scheme is convoluted, some
obscure Internet Explorer only solution, authenticated, etc.), you can
always just download the gem files from http://gems.rubyforge...,
and install them from the download folder using "gem install *.gem" - of
course, you have to resolve various dependencies yourself in that case.

David Vallner

Rafael George

Thanks, i'll do that.

--
Grimoire Guru
SourceMage GNU/Linux

David Vallner

shiwei zhang wrote:
> Actually I think the command line is the better way. The command
> lines like "C:\Documents and Settings>gem install rails --remote" also work
> for me behind a proxy.

The proxy issue is completely and totally unrelated to how you use the
rubygems API. If you set your http_proxy environment variable to
http://yourproxyname:3128/, rubygems will pick it up.

David Vallner

Earl Evleth

On 5/10/12 13:28, in article fvgt68d5mp3prvk6o8469f9r8aad5b1p84@4ax.com,
"Gary" <nos@none.com> wrote:

> You refer to the peasants who idolize "my lord and my lady" ? Fact
> is -- many Americans are still peasants at heart.

In human society those are the top of the social chain get a lot
of respect from the lower downs. In fact the history of how
Americans were eventually universally franchised is a long one.
At the beginning of the Republic only land owners voted. So
a large portion of the white male population did not vote and even
a few women, widows holding landed voted in some states (who could
vote was established in each state, there was no Federal law on voting).

The problem was there was plenty of land and to the West and so
the land holding limitation was dropped.

Still however, social status does grant some extra status. Social
mobility allowed some of the lower downs to move up. With the new rich
there was a problem being accepted by the old rich, that still exists.
But the children of the new rich ironically became the old rich, they
had higher status than then the new (if you read the history of Vanderbilt
you will see this).

Romney has an element of the old rich about him. He was supposed to have
made his fortune on his own and inherited nothing. I doubt that story and
nothing is clear. Several of our Presidents were members of the old rich
(both Roosevelts) and they got automatic respect for that. But in politics
they had to play it different.

Gary

On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 14:43:02 +0200, Earl Evleth <evleth@wanadoo.fr>
wrote:

>On 5/10/12 13:28, in article fvgt68d5mp3prvk6o8469f9r8aad5b1p84@4ax.com,
>"Gary" <nos@none.com> wrote:
>
>> You refer to the peasants who idolize "my lord and my lady" ? Fact
>> is -- many Americans are still peasants at heart.
>

>In human society those are the top of the social chain get a lot
>of respect from the lower downs.

I have recently become interested in that subject. It fascinates me
how a few thugs were able to set themselves up as kings and lords over
the masses of people. I'm reading English history in hopes of
finding some logical reason our ancestors accepted that situation
1,500 years ago.

>In fact the history of how
>Americans were eventually universally franchised is a long one.
>At the beginning of the Republic only land owners voted. So
>a large portion of the white male population did not vote and even
>a few women, widows holding landed voted in some states (who could
>vote was established in each state, there was no Federal law on voting).

I only discovered recently that South Carolina (the state that gave us
the Civil War) did not let it's peasants vote for president from
1820 through 1860. I find it amusing that my SC ancestors never
complained. Or mentioned it :-)

>The problem was there was plenty of land and to the West and so
>the land holding limitation was dropped.
>
>Still however, social status does grant some extra status. Social
>mobility allowed some of the lower downs to move up. With the new rich
>there was a problem being accepted by the old rich, that still exists.
>But the children of the new rich ironically became the old rich, they
>had higher status than then the new (if you read the history of Vanderbilt
>you will see this).

I have. Even as a teenager, I found old Cornelius to be one of the
most interesting Americans. Too bad his idiot descendants could
inherit so much power without doing anything.

>Romney has an element of the old rich about him. He was supposed to have
>made his fortune on his own and inherited nothing. I doubt that story and
>nothing is clear. Several of our Presidents were members of the old rich
>(both Roosevelts) and they got automatic respect for that. But in politics
>they had to play it different.

El Castor told us in a post -- that Romney inherited six million
dollars. But gave it all to the church. I have only one thought
about that. Anybody who'd donate his entire inheritance to a church
is ... a damn fool. Or ... a liar and a hypocrite.