Re: Ruby performance on Windows XP

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

10/30/2006 9:29:00 PM

Dark Ambient wrote:
> While I am working in Rails, I'm noticing that Ruby many times completely
> dogs the system
> taking forever to reload a page.
> Reading under task manager I'm seeing that ruby.exe is CPU = 99 and Mem
> Usage = 50,000K
> I'm not sure what to do and have no idea how to debug it.
> There are times it take 5+ minutes to reload a page.
>
> Stuart

Hmmm ... lots of questions ... but the other posters are right ... this
is really a Rails list question.

1. How much memory does the server have?
2. Is the 50 megabytes for ruby.exe growing?
3. It has the processor pegged at 99 percent (I'm assuming a 1P). Is it
doing any reading or writing?
4. Is this Instant Rails?

4 Answers

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Dark Ambient wrote:
> On 10/30/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
>>
>> Dark Ambient wrote:
>> > While I am working in Rails, I'm noticing that Ruby many times
>> completely
>> > dogs the system
>> > taking forever to reload a page.
>> > Reading under task manager I'm seeing that ruby.exe is CPU = 99 and Mem
>> > Usage = 50,000K
>> > I'm not sure what to do and have no idea how to debug it.
>> > There are times it take 5+ minutes to reload a page.
>> >
>> > Stuart
>> >

>> Hmmm ... lots of questions ... but the other posters are right ... this
>> is really a Rails list question.
>>
>> 1. How much memory does the server have?
>> 2. Is the 50 megabytes for ruby.exe growing?
>> 3. It has the processor pegged at 99 percent (I'm assuming a 1P). Is it
>> doing any reading or writing?
>> 4. Is this Instant Rails?
>>
>> Ed, my apologies, as this is not a server environment. This is a laptop
> in a development mode.
> 2- Sometimes I've seen Ruby going past 129 megs of memory.
> 3- As far as the reading and writing , I can't tell, at least not from the
> server logs.
> 4-Yep, it's Instant Rails.
>
> Stuart

1. You can add the I/O counters in the Task Manager display; you don't
need to use server logs
2. Ouch! Some *really expensive* laptops have decent hard drives in
them, but the typical laptops are optimized for low-power and low
battery consumption. Even if you're running off AC power, they sometimes
shut down the hard drive if it's idle for a couple of minutes.

Still, I'd look first for some kind of application level problem before
hunting for platform issues. I haven't done enough Rails development to
know what the diagnostic tools are, but I do know they are there, and
more are being contributed every day from the community.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Robert Oliver wrote:
> If that weren't enough, Gentoo has native ports of most Ruby gems, so
> emerge
> rmagick for example works nicely too. When you emerge rubygems, and then
> run something like emerge rmagick, it will put a gem entry in the gem list
> --local command, unlike Debian. In other words, Gentoo's emerge and Ruby's
> gems don't fight each other like they do on most other distros.

Yeah ... and when a new release comes out, assuming they haven't already
done so, you can go into their Bugzilla and say "time to do a version
bump on ..." and they usually get to it if it's got a maintainer. And if
it doesn't have a maintainer, you probably want to be looking for
alternatives. :)

> Also, Gentoo's install procedure teaches you quite a bit about Linux.
> You'll know more about your system after doing it, and have a leg up on
> knowing how to use Linux right from the start.

One caution with that is that Gentoo administration knowledge doesn't
translate immediately into Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS or Debian/Ubuntu
administration knowledge. The Gentoo people have gone out of their way
to make things easy, as have the Red Hat and Debian people, but all the
config files are in different places on the three variants. I haven't
the foggiest idea, for example, how to configure vsftpd on a Red Hat or
Debian box, but I can do it in my sleep on Gentoo.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Dark Ambient wrote:
> 1- Someone from the Rails list has made a project of Rails (and Ruby)
> LiveCD
> using PC Linux I believe.
>
> 2- One attractive feature ( I think) of Ubuntu is you can use a usb flash
> drive as the /home directory.
> I imagine Gentoo can do the same thing ? Kind of nice and portable then.
>
> Stuart

Yeah ... PC Linux is easy to make LiveCDs with. Almost any LiveCD Linux
will allow you to access a USB drive -- just mount it the way you'd
mount any other partition. Unfortunately, there are a couple of gotchas
with USB drives. They are almost always formatted FAT32, so almost any
OS can read them. You're better off formatting them with a Windows
machine -- sometimes when you format them on Linux, Windows has a
problem reading and writing them.

Michael Trier

On 11/1/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> Dark Ambient wrote:
> > 1- Someone from the Rails list has made a project of Rails (and Ruby)
> > LiveCD
> > using PC Linux I believe.

http://www.railsl...

Michael