Re: [ANN] DNS library released

alexd

10/30/2006 4:13:00 PM

"Francis Cianfrocca" <garbagecat10@gmail.com> wrote on 30/10/2006
15:57:23:

> I'm talking about blocking DNS requests. I've wanted to add a
nonblocking
> DNS client to the EventMachine library for some time, but haven't gotten
> around to it yet.

pnet-dns can run non-blocking requests (using an ugly perl API).

> Out of curiosity, why does your Java product run DNS over TCP instead of
> UDP?

It runs over UDP or TCP.

Alex.

5 Answers

Eric Hodel

On Oct 30, 2006, at 8:20 AM, Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
> On 10/30/06, alexd@nominet.org.uk <alexd@nominet.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> pnet-dns can run non-blocking requests (using an ugly perl API).
>>
>> > Out of curiosity, why does your Java product run DNS over TCP
>> instead of
>> > UDP?
>>
>> It runs over UDP or TCP.
>
> I'd like to see a nonblocking DNS client for Ruby programs. I've
> avoided
> writing it on the theory that someone is already doing it.

Its built-in, just require 'resolv-replace'.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

http://trackmap.rob...

acoustic

In article <1717835.F7RMJ8TzKe@dharma>,
Peter Terpstra <peter@dharma.dnsdojo.org> wrote:
>lo yeeOn in <hcrer5$1qv$1@reader1.panix.com> :
>

>> His Holiness' followers now think it's kosher to bash the US president
>> because he is Obama Re: Opinion: Why is China scared.
>
>Dear Mister Lo YeeOn,
>Bashing means hitting, and if Barack Obama was being hit, it would be

Errr, I used the term "bash" because that's what newspapers typically
use when they refer to loud and unrestrained criticisms.

Do you know that a word can be used to mean things figuratively? And
that's how I used it: for effect, as newspapers like to do!

lo yeeOn
========

In article <1412414.jdM9vG3zhG@dharma>,
Peter Terpstra <peter@dharma.dnsdojo.org> wrote:
>Why is China scared
>Asian Age [Tuesday, November 03, 2009 11:58]
>By Maura Moynihan

>*Maura Moynihan is a writer who has worked with Tibetan refugees in
>India for many years. Now based in New York, she is researching a
>book on America?s failed China policy.

Yeap!!!. America's failed China policy began as early as in the early
1950s, when the Dalai Lama was still wining and dining with Chairman
Mao and Premier Chou En-lai in Beijing, when it negotiated with the
evil Chinese communists and traded away the brilliant rocket scientist
Qian Xuesen (who just died 31/10/2009) in Beijing at 98 for a number
of American POWs held by the Chinese captured during the Korean War.
(Let it be said that it was actually a win-win situation because it
showed the then American government cared about its soldiers who
fought in a War it sent them to and China got a man who could really
help the Chinese people to leave their shameful past behind to become
a self-reliant nation. But a lot of US historians and political wise
guys have whined bitterly about it ever since, as one of the dumbest
move made by the government in the history of America.)

That deal has been widely viewed as instrumental in bringing China to
her current eminent position in world politics as well as giving the
US government such a headache to deal with in the past 30-40 years.

And then Richard Nixon, the Republican US president of the 1970s,
further "sold America out" to China, through that cunning Secretary of
State Henry Kissinger, who wined and dined Chairman Mao and Premier
Chou En-lai, agreeing to give them not only the UN seat but also the
permanent membership in the Security Council along with the veto power
and all that, which was held by Taiwan's Generalissimo Chiang Kei-Sek
at the time, which they demanded from Nixon in exchange for forming a
diplomatic tie with the US. A little irony in that episode is that
a Chiang top military adviser also had a daughter who was married to
the rocket scientist Qian who made China such a space giant today.

And the final draw was the evil warrior president George W. Bush whom
His Holiness the Dalai Lama found to be such an irresistible soulmate
even after the rest of the world had rendered its verdict on him as a
mass murderer: Bush went to Beijing to kowtow to the evil communists
to beg them to keep their mouth shut on the slaughter in Afghanistan
and Iraq while keep their denizens laboring hard to produce the cheap
goods the increasingly impoverished American citizens need and can
afford to fill their basic living need.

So, what's new in Maura Moynihan' complaint about Obama? She should
know better that Obama is only following the same failed Bush policy
in Iraq and Afghanistan. But Obama has a greater problem now since
the near decade-long twin wars in Asia have bankrupted America and he
had to borrow more than a trillion USD in his first days as president
of the US just to help turn the stock market around and the US economy
moving along again.

So, Obama likewise has to beg China. And he even has to do more in
order to keep Walmart well supplied so that America can grind along
just a little longer with two wars on her back.

The Tibetan Independence crowd is getting the feeling that Obama is a
good target to lambast because all the birthers and republicans have
been relentlessly doing the same, attacking him partly based on his
skin-color.

But the TI crowd is foolish. They should understand that Obama could
do no more or no less for the TI cause now than any US president ever
could.

And the "Dalai Lama never seems to rest" because he is working for the
CIA, a part of the same Obama administration, just as he has been for
the past so many decades and that's why he is visiting the US so much.

And he has to of course jetset back and forth between Northern America
and Dharamsala to entertain his western visitors to raise more fund
for the Tibet Independence cause.

But by being so restless, the Dalai Lama is left with hardly any time
for lengthy periods of meditation, a task necessary for any monk, not
to mention the leading monk.

The original Buddha made a choice. He gave up worldly concerns and
led a solitary life filled with meditation to free himself from the
burden of a common way of living.

The biggest problem with the Tibet Independence involvement with the
Dalai Lama is the inherent contradiction between his theocratic role
and his political requirement and between his professed belief and his
practice.

The endless comparison between Mahamat Gandhi and the Dalai Lama does
not make the comparison valid nor help with the TI cause.

For one thing, Gandhi never played the oppressive role that the Dalai
Lama played:

In Brad Pitt's Movie Seven Years in Tibet, the current Dalai Lama as
a teenager told the Pitt character to build a movie house for him so
that he could watch movies night after night. In doing so, he
exploited a vast number of commoners who physically labored and
mentally strained to satisfy His Holiness' selfish desire. They were
stressed by the thought that their work was hurting the earth worms,
which the Dalai Lama and his predecessors had taught them and their
ancestors generation after generation that the worms were their
_mothers_.

And the young Dalai Lama monopolized Pitt's character to be his sole
private tutor, instead of deploying the latter's expertise to educate
hundreds of school-age children in those precious seven years.

Imagine that if one of those would-be pupils of the Austrian explorer
would have become a Qian Xuesen, a leading rocket scientist in the
world and had secretly built a "silkworm missile" for his/her people!
China would have had more reasons to be "scared" about the Dalai Lama
and his people then, instead of just being paranoid about them now as
Moynihan has portrayed.

Realistically, how can Tibet be a viable country by itself without a
class of intellectuals to lead the way? India had hers and China also
had her own, such as Qian Xeusen.

The alternative if it were to become a sovereign nation would be like
the current Afghanistan, which does not have a substantially educated
class of people to help build a country from. Instead, it must rely
on the US-led NATO troops and their bombs and missiles, against its
own people, to maintain a government, which for all practical purpose
is but a US puppet and the country is nothing but an occupied land.

If Tibet ever became something that, it would then be right in China's
backyard.

Would any government not be worried about that? Why, of course no
responsible government would not worry sick about such a scenario.

If the Chinese government didn't worry about an independent Tibet in
its back, it would not have performed its fiduciary duty to the people
it purports to represent, would it?

And of course India (and Pakistan as a result of the independence deal
from England) during Gandhi's time had a large contingent of a very
educated class of people to make India a viable, self-reliant nation
outside the yoke of British colonialism.

Furthermore, the case contrasting the occupier and the occupied in
colonial India with the Brits is unmistakably plain while that with
Tibet being under Chinese rule is much much more obscure, so much so
to the point that no nation today would recognize the TI crowd's claim
that China owe's it one-sixth of the total Chinese land mass.

The TI crowd is simply unrealistic and appears greedy!

And of course, many historians would also tell you many other factors
in India and Pakistan's successful independence drive from the British
rule, a condition which is clearly absent in Tibet now.

lo yeeOn
========

> [...]
>rivers of nation states in south and southeast Asia, hardly a small
>matter. Control of the Tibetan plateau and its vast riches is a
>priority for Hu Jintao???s government. Since March 2008, China has
>mobilised an estimated 50,000 troops along the Tibet-India border,
>while protesting against visits by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to
>Arunachal Pradesh and excising Kashmir from India in a new map and
>website. China is supplying Nepal with aid and weaponry, which fuels
>the advance of Maoist insurgencies across India. Himachal This Week
>just ran a two-page story on Chinese spies working in Dharamsala,
>with a timeline of a decade of arrests and confessions of agents with
>plans to attack the Dalai Lama. Why does Beijing so fear this gentle
>Tibetan Buddhist master and purveyor of the Gandhian legacy of
>non-violence? On October 1, 2009, the Chinese Communist Party
>celebrated 60 years of one-party rule with a Cold War parade of
>massive weaponry and Maoist sloganeering. On October 2, India paid
>tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on his 140th birth anniversary with an
>inter-faith service at New Delhi???s Gandhi Smriti. Dr Singh sat upon
>the grass amid citizens and guests as prayers from all religions were
>read and sung, then scattered rose petals on the site of the
>Mahatma???s martyrdom with quiet dignity. These twin ceremonies just a
>day apart reveal the vast gap between Mao???s and Gandhi???s visions of
>power. His Holiness the Dalai Lama calls Gandhi his political guru
>and has steadfastly pursued the path of ahimsa with the Chinese
>Communists who call him ???an incestuous murderer with evil
>intentions???. But the Dalai Lama has not been broken. Witness him upon
>his lama???s throne, imparting the wisdom of the Buddha into the golden
>light of the Kangra Valley, to students from Mongolia, Vietnam and
>Laos, whose sanghas were laid waste by the Communists, who regard him
>as the Living Buddha. ???Look how much power China has, and they are
>so paranoid, they take such desperate measures to keep politicians
>away from the Dalai Lama,??? says celebrated Tibetan poet Tenzing
>Tsundue. ???The Dalai Lama has no aircraft, no money, he???s a
>refugee. China has weapons and banks, but they are terrified of this
>simple monk who wants to make peace with them. It shows their great
>insecurity. Our power lies in our faith in non-violence. The Tibet
>movement is still here after 50 years. We continue to inspire the
>people of the world who are looking for solutions to violence and
>conflict.??? * Maura Moynihan is a writer who has worked with Tibetan
>refugees in India for many years. Now based in New York, she is
>researching a book on America???s failed China policy.
>http://www.phayul.com/news/article.aspx?c=4&t=1&id=25813&arti...
>+China+scared -- 'I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in
>the brightest. I do not judge the universe.' ??Dalai Lama??

Free Tibet

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 10:20:42 +0000 (UTC), acoustic@panix.com (lo yeeOn) wrote:

>In article <20091105040051.5D8CA81494@fleegle.mixmin.net>,
>Free Tibet <freetibet@nym.mixmin.net> wrote:
>>
>>On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 01:35:30 +0000 (UTC), acoustic@panix.com (lo yeeOn) wrote:
>>
>>> In Brad Pitt's movie Seven Years in Tibet, the current Dalai Lama
>>> as a teenager told the Pitt character to build a movie house for
>>> him so that he could watch movies night after night. In doing so,
>>> he exploited a vast number of commoners who physically labored and
>>> mentally strained to satisfy His Holiness' selfish desire. They
>>> were stressed by the thought that their work was hurting the earth
>>> worms, which the Dalai Lama and his predecessors had taught them
>>> and their ancestors generation after generation that the worms were
>>> their _mothers_.
>>>
>>> And the young Dalai Lama monopolized Pitt's character to be his sole
>>> private tutor, instead of deploying the latter's expertise to educate
>>> hundreds of school-age children in those precious seven years.
>>
>>Can you give us an update on what's happening in Bold and the Beautiful, too?
>>
>>I believe all that shit!
>>

>Since I've never heard of the title you mentioned, i googled it and
>realized that it's a soap opera! No wonder because I don't watch TV.
>
>So, I gather that you felt that the movie "Seven Years In Tibet" was
>like a soap opera and did injustice to the Dalai Lama or the Tibetan
>people?

It was a movie and like all movies its content is crafted into a dramatic structure
to suit the western audience and to make as many dollars as possible from the
investment. If you are relying on the movie to be accurate in what took place during
that time Harrer was in Tibet then it's probably a mistake.

>That's not the impression I got. The blurp on the VHS I paid for at a
>used book shop a few years ago says it's serious stuff, based on a
>memoir written by a Heinrich Harrer of Austria, who was a real person
>with a well-documented relationship with the Dalai Lama since the days
>of the boy Lama in the late 1940s.

Harrer and His Holiness forged a strong friendship. His Holiness was a boy and Harrer
a striking climber and athlete. They formed a strong bond up until Harrer died a few
years back.

>Since Harrer is known to be such a friend of the Dalai Lama, there is
>no reason for me to believe that he was trying to write a soap opera
>about his friend the Dalai Lama. And there is also no reason to
>believe that the big budget Hollywood film would want to smear the
>Dalai Lama's or the Tibetan people's reputation.

I don't want to discuss Hollywood and what it would or wouldn't do. It's a money
making machine.

>And as I pointed out, I studied Buddhism as a subject in philosophy
>and learned a bit about the tenets of the belief. Buddhists do
>believe in recarnation and except for the holy few, like the Dalai
>Lama and his mother, e.g., people reincarnate into "lower" life forms,
>including that of a worm if you aren't good enough in this life.

If you're talking about Tibetan Buddhism, that's not quite correct. Very
simplistically, the form of your next rebirth depends on your state of mind at death.
The quality of your rebirth depends on your actions throughout your life. On top of
this are the karmic imprints from previous lives also play a part. Yes, we all cycle
from body to body and we're much more likely to get a lower rebirth (animal, etc)
than a higher one - human.

It is also correct to say that, unlike lowly beings like ourselves who have
absolutely NO control over our rebirth, beings like His Holiness the Dalai Lama, His
Holiness the Kamarpa, and highly realized beings have total control over their
rebirth.

The Kamarpa writes down information relating to his rebirth before he dies and it's
sealed and opened only after a reasonable time after his death, around 3 to 4 years.
In this 'last testament he writes where he'll be reborn, when, to which parents, any
distinguishing marks on the house or the area, etc. A search party goes looking and
finds the reincarnate lama who is then tested to ensure he's the right one.

BTW the CCP believe they know how to find reincarnate lamas too! They're not Buddhist
either! LOL

>And there is no evidence that the religion has changed.
>
>The religion, in my opinion creates an obstacle for the Tibetan people
>in their drive for nationhood. (On the other hand though, Buddhism
>is not meant for its believers to form a nation and fight for material
>goods and worldly comfort, is it? The Buddha basically said, follow
>me and give up all your worldly desire and by doing so, you'll be
>liberated from all the pains and suffering associated with living in a
>material world. This, in my view, lies the fundamental contradiction
>of having the Dalai Lama as leader for the TI movement.)

I missed the logic jump there. You think Buddhists should be pushovers? Have a chat
to Ven Robina Courtin at the Liberation Prison Project! She's one tough nun and
someone hardened lifers have deep respect for. Check out info on her if you think
Buddhists are whimps. She's not alone in her nut cracking ability.

>Furthermore, the Dalai Lama hasn't shown himself to be holy either as
>a boy lama living in Lhasa before or as an adult lama living in exile.
>His conduct and his freewheeling comments of a range of subjects have
>been simply uninspiring, not to mention his inability to project any
>aura of holiness.

This is your critique of His Holiness' performance? What would satisfy your desire
for 'holiness'? Walk through walls? Levitate? Freewheeling comments reported in the
media. Have you ever read anything in the paper that you've said to a reporter? I
have and it's scary how wrong they can get it. How much of your attitude towards His
Holiness is based on anything he has written? Lots of people write lots of stuff
about him. Do you believe all that's written? Have you read any of his books? Have
you attended any of his talks? Have you actually seen him in real life or just on
the little screen?

>When he publicly showed adoration for George Bush, a fool who presided
>over the biggest slaughter of people in the start of the 21st century,
>the Dalai Lama lost all credibility as a peace-loving buddhist, much
>less a leader of anything.

You're twisting words here. He didn't show 'adoration' for George Bush. He called him
a friend. That's one thing I could never do, call George Bush a friend, but that just
shows how shallow my wisdom and compassion are.

It takes a whole lot of guts to see below the surface and see the real person and not
the actions. Yes, George's karma will drive him into a terrible rebirth,yet His
Holiness can say out loud 'this PERSON is ok' with true love and compassion. I don't
have the ability to do that. Ven Robina Courtin does it every day with murderers too.
I couldn't do it. Do you think His Holiness doesn't know what people think of George
Bush?? Do you perhaps think there might be a teaching in there somewhere?

I have never heard His Holiness say anything negative about any person. He'll
criticize the CCP - the organization, the Chinese Government, but never the Chinese
people, never. I think you do him a gross disservice.

~~~
This PGP signature only certifies the sender and date of the message.
It implies no approval from the administrators of nym.mixmin.net.
Date: Thu Nov 5 15:05:33 2009 GMT
From: freetibet@nym.mixmin.net

Peter Terpstra

lo yeeOn in <hcu9rt$ct6$1@reader1.panix.com> :

> Errr, I used the term "bash" because that's what newspapers typically
> use when they refer to loud and unrestrained criticisms.
>
> Do you know that a word can be used to mean things figuratively? And
> that's how I used it: for effect, as newspapers like to do!

Yes, but it is all illusion, now one is getting bashed and people forget that
they think that someone really is going to be hit, that critics are not
permitted and should be silenced, I say this because CCP people use the term
bashing to restrain, to minimize and ridicule critics.

What newspapers do happens between your ears, that where the illusion starts!

Kind Regards,

Peter

--
Amnesty International Report 2009 on China:
http://report2009.amnesty.org/en/regions/asia-pac...

acoustic

In article <21323185.retTD8dW7m@dharma>,
Peter Terpstra <peter@dharma.dnsdojo.org> wrote:
>lo yeeOn in <hcu9rt$ct6$1@reader1.panix.com> :
>
>> Errr, I used the term "bash" because that's what newspapers
>> typically use when they refer to loud and unrestrained criticisms.
>>
>> Do you know that a word can be used to mean things figuratively?
>> And that's how I used it: for effect, as newspapers like to do!
>
>Yes, but it is all illusion, now one is getting bashed and people
>forget that they think that someone really is going to be hit, that
>critics are not permitted and should be silenced, I say this because
>CCP people use the term bashing to restrain, to minimize and ridicule
>critics.

Last time you said it was normal for the Dalai Lama's followers to
bash Obama because it was just words. Now you're saying someone is
going to get hurt. I have never said that "critics are not permitted
and should be silenced", I simply pointed out the hypocrisy. During
George Bush's presidency, these "critics" were completely quiet while
the Dalai Lama kissed the mass murderer's behind. Now, it's normal.

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

lo yeeOn
========