Ruby's book list is out of date...

Jeremy McAnally

10/27/2006 12:59:00 PM

Hello all,
I was snooping about the Ruby site the other day (OK, like two weeks
ago) when I got bored, and I noticed the book page is out of date. I
e-mailed the webmaster e-mail address, but nothing has changed.

1) From Java to Ruby is out now (rather than Coming Soon).
2) Ruby Phrasebook is also out.
3) Rails Cookbook looks to be out also.
4) Ruby Quickly has changed to Hacking with Ruby which is probably
changing again...
5) There are a number of books that are coming soon and new in print
that aren't on there (e.g., the PragProg's Paypal+Ruby book, my Ruby
book, Apress's complete Ruby/Rails line other than Beginning Ruby,
Rails for Java Developers...).

Who maintains this section? I can e-mail them directly if that would
be more helpful.

Thanks,
Jeremy

13 Answers

Keith Fahlgren

On 10/27/06, Jeremy McAnally <jeremymcanally@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3) Rails Cookbook looks to be out also.

Nearly, it goes to the printer in mid December so should be in
bookstores before too long.

HTH,
Keith

James Gray

On Oct 27, 2006, at 7:58 AM, Jeremy McAnally wrote:

> I was snooping about the Ruby site the other day (OK, like two weeks
> ago) when I got bored, and I noticed the book page is out of date.

OK.

> 1) From Java to Ruby is out now (rather than Coming Soon).
> 2) Ruby Phrasebook is also out.
> 4) Ruby Quickly has changed to Hacking with Ruby which is probably
> changing again...

I have addressed these.

> 5) There are a number of books that are coming soon and new in print
> that aren't on there (e.g., the PragProg's Paypal+Ruby book, my Ruby
> book, Apress's complete Ruby/Rails line other than Beginning Ruby,
> Rails for Java Developers...).

Email me the books you would like added and where. I'll get them in
there. Please view the page source and send them to me in that
format, so I can dump them right in.

Thanks.

James Edward Gray II

pat eyler

On 10/27/06, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2006, at 7:58 AM, Jeremy McAnally wrote:
>
> > I was snooping about the Ruby site the other day (OK, like two weeks
> > ago) when I got bored, and I noticed the book page is out of date.
>
> OK.
>
> > 1) From Java to Ruby is out now (rather than Coming Soon).
> > 2) Ruby Phrasebook is also out.

Is it really? I've not seen it yet, and amazon says January.

--
thanks,
-pate

James Gray

On Oct 27, 2006, at 3:29 PM, pat eyler wrote:

> On 10/27/06, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
>> On Oct 27, 2006, at 7:58 AM, Jeremy McAnally wrote:
>>
>> > 2) Ruby Phrasebook is also out.
>
> Is it really? I've not seen it yet, and amazon says January.

I assume Jeremy meant it's now available as a Rough Cut:

http://safari.samspublishing.com/...

James Edward Gray II

pat eyler

On 10/27/06, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2006, at 3:29 PM, pat eyler wrote:

> > Is it really? I've not seen it yet, and amazon says January.
>
> I assume Jeremy meant it's now available as a Rough Cut:
>
> http://safari.samspublishing.com/...

Aahh. Good enough then. (I'm still looking forward to grabbing a
paper copy, I like the phrasebook format.)

--
thanks,
-pate

James Britt

Jeremy McAnally wrote:
> Hello all,
> I was snooping about the Ruby site the other day (OK, like two weeks
> ago) when I got bored, and I noticed the book page is out of date. I
> e-mailed the webmaster e-mail address, but nothing has changed.

ruby-doc.org has maintained a book list for a while now:

http://ruby-doc.org...

If folks are aware of Ruby books not listed, please let me know.

--
James Britt

"Take eloquence and wring its neck."
- Paul Verlaine

Bil Kleb

James Britt wrote:
> Jeremy McAnally wrote:
>> I was snooping about the Ruby site the other day (OK, like two weeks
>> ago) when I got bored, and I noticed the book page is out of date.
>
> ruby-doc.org has maintained a book list for a while now:

Is there a way to apply the DRY principle for these two?

Later,
--
Bil Kleb
http://kleb.tadalist.com/lists/pub...

James Britt

Bil Kleb wrote:
> James Britt wrote:
>
>> Jeremy McAnally wrote:
>>
>>> I was snooping about the Ruby site the other day (OK, like two weeks
>>> ago) when I got bored, and I noticed the book page is out of date.
>>

>> ruby-doc.org has maintained a book list for a while now:
>

> Is there a way to apply the DRY principle for these two?

Think of it as RARR:

Redundant array of Ruby resources.

--
James Britt

"I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion
out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be
solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
- Edsger Dijkstra

James Gray

On Oct 28, 2006, at 11:26 AM, James Britt wrote:

> Bil Kleb wrote:
>> James Britt wrote:

>>> ruby-doc.org has maintained a book list for a while now:
>> Is there a way to apply the DRY principle for these two?
>
> Think of it as RARR:
>
> Redundant array of Ruby resources.

It does seem like a needless duplication of effort. I'l ask the ruby-
lang team if we can just forward to the ruby-doc page...

James Edward Gray II

Jeremy McAnally

> It does seem like a needless duplication of effort. I'l ask the ruby-
> lang team if we can just forward to the ruby-doc page...

That may work, except that many books won't fit into their current
format because they are PDF-only or self-published. Unless, of
course, they're willing to tweak that page to make it usable for those
sorts of books also?

I'll get that list in whatever format it needs to happen in on Monday;
you guys just let me know what you need or what site to format it
around. :)

Thanks,
Jeremy