OT: Ruby Quiz in Haskell

Jim Burton

10/27/2006 11:04:00 AM

Hello Ruby Talkers, some people are trying out the Ruby Quiz puzzles in
Haskell and collecting the results here -
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Ha... . You might be
interested to see the differences and similarities between the Haskell
solutions and your own. There are only a few so far, but the list of
ones people have tried is growing.

Maybe lots of people try the quiz in lots of different languages (I know
I have) because they're fun and usually very nicely balanced little
puzzles. It's useful to try them out when you're learning a language and
want to get to know libraries etc. They're well suited for Haskell as
well because it, like Ruby, is excellent for exploratory programming and
quite a few of them involve searching etc.

So,thanks to J. E. G. and everyone else who puts ideas in! Keep those
Fridays coming!

James Gray

On Oct 27, 2006, at 6:04 AM, Jim Burton wrote:

> Hello Ruby Talkers, some people are trying out the Ruby Quiz
> puzzles in
> Haskell and collecting the results here -
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Ha... . You might be
> interested to see the differences and similarities between the Haskell
> solutions and your own. There are only a few so far, but the list of
> ones people have tried is growing.
>
> Maybe lots of people try the quiz in lots of different languages (I
> know
> I have) because they're fun and usually very nicely balanced little
> puzzles. It's useful to try them out when you're learning a
> language and
> want to get to know libraries etc. They're well suited for Haskell as
> well because it, like Ruby, is excellent for exploratory
> programming and
> quite a few of them involve searching etc.
>
> So,thanks to J. E. G. and everyone else who puts ideas in! Keep those
> Fridays coming!

I'm thrilled to hear that others are enjoying the quiz. The problems
are definitely applicable to all languages.

Send us your favorite Haskell problems, so we can try those too.

James Edward Gray II

Martin DeMello

On 10/27/06, Jim Burton <jim@sdf-eu.org> wrote:

> Maybe lots of people try the quiz in lots of different languages (I know
> I have) because they're fun and usually very nicely balanced little
> puzzles. It's useful to try them out when you're learning a language and
> want to get to know libraries etc. They're well suited for Haskell as
> well because it, like Ruby, is excellent for exploratory programming and
> quite a few of them involve searching etc.

Neat :) I started doing them in Common Lisp but then got sidetracked -
wonder if I still have that code anywhere.

martin

Louis J Scoras

On 10/27/06, Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:

> Neat :) I started doing them in Common Lisp but then got sidetracked -
> wonder if I still have that code anywhere.

I was actually writing up a couple of articles on doing the quiz
solutions in CL, but unfortunately got a little sidetracked. It would
definitely help a bit in the motivation department to know that people
are actually interested in seeing solutions in other languages =)
What other languages have folks tried these in?

--
Lou.

pat eyler

On 10/27/06, Louis J Scoras <louis.j.scoras@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/27/06, Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Neat :) I started doing them in Common Lisp but then got sidetracked -
> > wonder if I still have that code anywhere.
>
> I was actually writing up a couple of articles on doing the quiz
> solutions in CL, but unfortunately got a little sidetracked. It would
> definitely help a bit in the motivation department to know that people
> are actually interested in seeing solutions in other languages =)
> What other languages have folks tried these in?

I've not tried them in other languages (yet), but would love to read
writeups about them in Haskell, OCaml, Lisp, Scheme, etc.
Shoot, if Ed wants to write up an annotated solution in Forth, I'd
love to read that. :^)

--
thanks,
-pate

Stephan Mueller

* Jim Burton <jim@sdf-eu.org> [27.10.2006]:

> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Ha... . You might be

Great! I just recently decided to have a look at Haskell - so having
some examples for which Ruby _and_ Haskell solutions exist will
certainly help! :)

Cheers,

Steph.

Jim Burton

pat eyler wrote:
> On 10/27/06, Louis J Scoras <louis.j.scoras@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
> I've not tried them in other languages (yet), but would love to read
> writeups about them in Haskell, OCaml, Lisp, Scheme, etc.
> Shoot, if Ed wants to write up an annotated solution in Forth, I'd
> love to read that. :^)
There is a writeup of the first quiz in Haskell here -
http://mult.ifario.us/articles/2006/10/25/solitaire-cipher-...

James Gray

On Oct 27, 2006, at 6:04 AM, Jim Burton wrote:

> Hello Ruby Talkers, some people are trying out the Ruby Quiz
> puzzles in
> Haskell and collecting the results here -
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Ha... .

I've added a link to this in the Ruby Quiz FAQ.

James Edward Gray II

Jeremy Tregunna

On 06-10-27, at 08:53, Louis J Scoras wrote:

> On 10/27/06, Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Neat :) I started doing them in Common Lisp but then got
>> sidetracked -
>> wonder if I still have that code anywhere.
>
> I was actually writing up a couple of articles on doing the quiz
> solutions in CL, but unfortunately got a little sidetracked. It would
> definitely help a bit in the motivation department to know that people
> are actually interested in seeing solutions in other languages =)
> What other languages have folks tried these in?

I've done a few in Io and my own little toy language.

--
Jeremy Tregunna
jtregunna@blurgle.ca

Oricom

Le Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:26:36 -0500, Capricorne <capricorne007@gmail.com>=
a =

=E9crit:

> Le lundi 26 novembre 2012 09:41:40 UTC-5, Capricorne a =E9crit :
>> Comment savoir si vous =EAtes =E0 la radio de Radio-Canada?
>>

>> R=E9ponse: =E7a parle avec un accent ou =E7a joue de la musique ethn=
ique.

>> Ils se demandent ensuite pourquoi ils se font battre =E0 plate coutur=
e =

#1 il n'y a =

> pas si longtemps, maintenant:
>
> http://www.ledevoir.com/societe/medias/344605/bbm-radio-le-98...
firme-sa-domination

Je saisi mal comment on peut parler de domination du march=E9 avec 21% d=
e =

part ?
Le march=E9 est hyper segment=E9 personne ne domine et chacun doit trava=
iller =

excessivement fort pour am=E9liorer un tant soit peu sa part...

D'ailleurs le mot "domination" n'appara=EEt nulle part dans l'article...=
=

encore une fantaisie du titreur!

-- =

gaaslin

aussi sur:
Pinterest, Wat.tv, Twitter, Facebook
Alouette Ahhhhhhhh!

Utilisant le logiciel de courrier r=E9volutionnaire d'Opera : =

http://www.opera...

#1 il n'y a =

> pas si longtemps, maintenant:
>
> http://www.ledevoir.com/societe/medias/344605/bbm-radio-le-98...
firme-sa-domination

mais c'est qu'=E0 10% la SRC est pas forte!
....pas forte pantoute!

-- =