Ruby Design Principles

Bil Kleb

Marcel Molina Jr.

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 03:15:12AM +0900, Bil Kleb wrote:
> Matzcast on ITConversations?
>
> http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detai...

This appears to be the audio of Matz talk at BYU right before RubyConf. The
video is available too here:
http://www.cs.byu.edu/...

Direct link:
http://www.cs.byu.edu/...2006Fall/presentations/MatzRuby_video.wmv

marcel
--
Marcel Molina Jr. <marcel@vernix.org>

Bil Kleb

Marcel Molina Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 03:15:12AM +0900, Bil Kleb wrote:
>> http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detai...
>
> This appears to be the audio of Matz talk at BYU right before RubyConf.

Yes.

> The video is available too here: http://www.cs.byu.edu/...

I like the

DONUTS WILL BE PROVIDED

in a font almost as large and heavy as the title
on the flier,

http://www.cs.byu.edu/...2006Fall/Yukihiro_Matsumoto_flyer.pdf

Anyone have the link for the slides? (The movie has very
high compression.)

Later,
--
Bil Kleb

Bil Kleb

Bil Kleb wrote:
> Marcel Molina Jr. wrote:
>>
>> The video is available too here: http://www.cs.byu.edu/...
>
> Anyone have the link for the slides? (The movie has very
> high compression.)

Oops; the slides are on the colloquia page.

Later,
--
Bil Kleb
http://kleb.tadalist.com/lists/pub...

pat eyler

On 10/26/06, Bil Kleb <Bil.Kleb@nasa.gov> wrote:
> Marcel Molina Jr. wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 03:15:12AM +0900, Bil Kleb wrote:
> >> http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detai...
> >
> > This appears to be the audio of Matz talk at BYU right before RubyConf.
>
> Yes.
>
> > The video is available too here: http://www.cs.byu.edu/...
>
> I like the
>
> DONUTS WILL BE PROVIDED
>
> in a font almost as large and heavy as the title
> on the flier,

heh, we take our donuts seriously in Provo. :)
and, yes, they were good donuts (at least my maple bar was).

--
thanks,
-pate

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Ruby Design Principles"
on Fri, 27 Oct 2006 03:50:19 +0900, Bil Kleb <Bil.Kleb@NASA.gov> writes:

|Anyone have the link for the slides? (The movie has very
|high compression.)

http://www.rubyist.net/~matz/s...

Joel VanderWerf

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Ruby Design Principles"
> on Fri, 27 Oct 2006 03:50:19 +0900, Bil Kleb <Bil.Kleb@NASA.gov> writes:
>
> |Anyone have the link for the slides? (The movie has very
> |high compression.)
>
> http://www.rubyist.net/~matz/s...

Is it really fair to say that the ruby program

print *ARGF

is the same as /bin/cat? When used interactively they are different:

$ cat cat.rb
print *ARGF
$ ruby cat.rb
$ cat
$ ruby -e 'ARGF.each{|line| print line}'

Also, with a lot of input, the memory usage will be very different,
since 'print *ARGF' slurps all input.

But even 'ARGF.each{|line| print line}' is a lot shorter than 50 lines of C!

Reid Thompson

Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In message "Re: Ruby Design Principles"
>> on Fri, 27 Oct 2006 03:50:19 +0900, Bil Kleb <Bil.Kleb@NASA.gov>
>> writes:
>>
>> |Anyone have the link for the slides? (The movie has very
>> |high compression.)
>>
>> http://www.rubyist.net/~matz/s...
>
> Is it really fair to say that the ruby program
>
> print *ARGF
>
> is the same as /bin/cat? When used interactively they are different:
>
> $ cat cat.rb
> print *ARGF
> $ ruby cat.rb
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 1
> 2
> 3
> $ cat
> 1
> 1
> 2
> 2
> 3
> 3
> $ ruby -e 'ARGF.each{|line| print line}'
> 1
> 1
> 2
> 2
> 3
> 3
>
> Also, with a lot of input, the memory usage will be very different,
> since 'print *ARGF' slurps all input.
>
> But even 'ARGF.each{|line| print line}' is a lot shorter than 50 lines
> of C!

:) but how many lines of C are hidden behind that 'ARGF.each{|line|
print line}'

Joel VanderWerf

Reid Thompson wrote:
> Joel VanderWerf wrote:
>> But even 'ARGF.each{|line| print line}' is a lot shorter than 50 lines
>> of C!
>>
> :) but how many lines of C are hidden behind that 'ARGF.each{|line|
> print line}'

For that matter, how many machine instructions behind those 50 lines of
C, and how many femto-turtles carrying out those instructions, and so on
all the way down?

Bira

On 10/27/06, Joel VanderWerf <vjoel@path.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> For that matter, how many machine instructions behind those 50 lines of
> C, and how many femto-turtles carrying out those instructions, and so on
> all the way down?

For performance, write it in femto-turtles :).

--
Bira
http://compexplicita.bl...

Wilson Bilkovich

On 10/27/06, Bira <u.alberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/27/06, Joel VanderWerf <vjoel@path.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> > For that matter, how many machine instructions behind those 50 lines of
> > C, and how many femto-turtles carrying out those instructions, and so on
> > all the way down?
>
> For performance, write it in femto-turtles :).

I'm writing a DSL to manipulate the spacetime foam directly.
Performance above all!