Re: [ANN] Potential Brit ruby meeting formally Chunky Bacon

Cameron, Gemma (UK)

10/26/2006 3:55:00 PM

Apologies, I'm a n00b.

At least people are more aware that there *is* stuff going on, for
instance I'm going along to a meeting in manchester which should be fun!

Gem

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Armitage [mailto:tom.armitage@gmail.com]
Sent: 26 October 2006 16:49
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: [ANN] Potential Brit ruby meeting formally Chunky Bacon

*** WARNING ***

This mail has originated outside your organization, either from an
external partner or the Global Internet.

On 26/10/06, Cameron, Gemma (UK) <Gemma.Cameron@baesystems.com> wrote:

> There seem to be a few communities on the go in the UK already. Might
> be worth having our own Brit Ruby Conference, like the US version but
> with rain rather than snow!

Britain tends to end up as part of the European Ruby scene right now
(which is no bad thing). Euruko is next weekend in Germany, and is dirt
cheap (and might still be taking places if you fancy a jaunt east);
RailsConf Europe was in London six/seven weeks ago (but RailsConf Europe
2007 will be in Germany).

Just to point out that there _is_ stuff happening _already_ in this
country.

pat eyler

On 10/26/06, Cameron, Gemma (UK) <Gemma.Cameron@baesystems.com> wrote:

> Apologies, I'm a n00b.

And apologies again as I'm not a Brit, and likely won't be able to come
to a UK RubyConf no matter how much I'd like to.

> Gem
>
> On 26/10/06, Cameron, Gemma (UK) <Gemma.Cameron@baesystems.com> wrote:
>
> Britain tends to end up as part of the European Ruby scene right now
> (which is no bad thing). Euruko is next weekend in Germany, and is dirt
> cheap (and might still be taking places if you fancy a jaunt east);
> RailsConf Europe was in London six/seven weeks ago (but RailsConf Europe
> 2007 will be in Germany).

There's no reason not to try to put together a nice little regional conference
though, maybe just a Saturday get together with the various extant Ruby
brigades. Who knows, you might have som much fun you want to do it
more often. (And maybe you'll be able to gather in a few of the lost Rubyists
who don't know what other great Ruby stuff is happening in the UK.)

--
thanks,
-pate

Norgg

I've been going to the Scotland ruby group, which has been running for a
few months now. Probably some people who would be interested in a
conference in the UK from that.

pat eyler wrote:
> There's no reason not to try to put together a nice little regional
> conference
> though, maybe just a Saturday get together with the various extant Ruby
> brigades. Who knows, you might have som much fun you want to do it
> more often. (And maybe you'll be able to gather in a few of the lost
> Rubyists
> who don't know what other great Ruby stuff is happening in the UK.)

Paul Robinson

On 26 Oct 2006, at 16:55, Cameron, Gemma (UK) wrote:

> Apologies, I'm a n00b.
>
> At least people are more aware that there *is* stuff going on, for
> instance I'm going along to a meeting in manchester which should be
> fun!

That's GeekUp which is a mixture of geeks, PHP, and Ruby guys. Quite
a bunch of so do Ruby, but it's not dedicated 100%. No bad thing, IMHO.

See you there, I'm the 6' tall bald guy in his late twenties. :-)