ubuntu tcltklib absolute beginner question

gigaday@googlemail.com

10/26/2006 1:53:00 PM

I'm trying to start from absolute basics. I have ruby 1.8 installed
and working and want to have a look at the Tk interface.

I get the following:-

irb(main):001:0> require 'tk'
RuntimeError: tcltklib: fail to Tk_Init(). this isn't a Tk
applicationunknown color name "Black"
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1102:in `initialize'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1102
from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0>

Any ideas please?

Tony

2 Answers

Paul Lutus

gigaday@googlemail.com wrote:

> I'm trying to start from absolute basics. I have ruby 1.8 installed
> and working and want to have a look at the Tk interface.
>
> I get the following:-
>
> irb(main):001:0> require 'tk'
> RuntimeError: tcltklib: fail to Tk_Init(). this isn't a Tk
> applicationunknown color name "Black"
> from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1102:in `initialize'
> from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1102
> from (irb):1
> irb(main):002:0>
>
> Any ideas please?

Your system doesn't have the Ruby Tk library installed. Have you considered
upgrading to the current Ruby version? This might solve the problem. Or you
could try to find and install the tk library.

FWIW, the missing library is named "ruby-tcltk -(version)".

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.ara...

gigaday@googlemail.com

Paul Lutus wrote:
> gigaday@googlemail.com wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to start from absolute basics. I have ruby 1.8 installed
> > and working and want to have a look at the Tk interface.
> >
> > I get the following:-
> >
> > irb(main):001:0> require 'tk'
> > RuntimeError: tcltklib: fail to Tk_Init(). this isn't a Tk
> > applicationunknown color name "Black"
> > from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1102:in `initialize'
> > from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1102
> > from (irb):1
> > irb(main):002:0>
> >
> > Any ideas please?
>
> Your system doesn't have the Ruby Tk library installed. Have you considered
> upgrading to the current Ruby version? This might solve the problem. Or you
> could try to find and install the tk library.
>
> FWIW, the missing library is named "ruby-tcltk -(version)".
>
> --
> Paul Lutus
> http://www.ara...

I think that I do have all the required libraries installed. Someone
from the tcl/tk team reckons I need a version upgrade, I'll try this.

Thanks for your help.

Tony