reading a line by line from local text file through WATIR

michael

10/25/2006 10:51:00 AM

I need to process a web page by insert the value in a local text file
line by line each time.

for example, in the code below:
require 'watir'

1.upto(10) do |num|

ie = Watir::IE.start("http://www.test...)

ie.text_field(:name, "info").set("a_line_from_C\:\\text.txt")

ie.button(:value, "Submit").click

I need to make the WATIR code read each line in C:\text.txt file one by
one 10 times. Could anyone tell me how I should adjust the code above
so that this WATIR code read each line in C:\text.txt file one by one
ten times, and process each time with the value in each line in the
text file??

thanks.

1 Answer

Patrick Spence

curious wrote:
<snip>
> I need to make the WATIR code read each line in C:\text.txt file one by
> one 10 times. Could anyone tell me how I should adjust the code above
> so that this WATIR code read each line in C:\text.txt file one by one
> ten times, and process each time with the value in each line in the
> text file??

Watir has very little to with it, you've already got the code to
populate the textbox and click the "Submit" button. The question is how
do you open a file and read each line. The following should do it.

file = File.open("c:/text.txt", "r")
lines = file.readlines()

#-- make 10-passes thru this loop
1.upto(10) {

#-- process each element in the array
0.upto(lines.length - 1) {|j|
ie.text_field(:name, "info").set(lines[j])
ie.button(:value, "Submit").click
}

}

file.close()