Difficulty installing ruby gem termios

Jonathan Wallace

10/24/2006 1:10:00 AM

Hello,
I've just put a fresh install of kubuntu 6.06.1i on my computer. I'm
trying to install the ruby gem termios-0.9.4, with gem 0.9.0 and ruby
1.8.4. I've used the following commands to no avail.
sudo gem install termios --include-dependencies -- --build-flags
--with-opt-dir=/usr
sudo gem install termios --include-dependencies

I receive the same error in my mkmf.log file every time. Here's the my
mkmf.log file from one run:
have_header: checking for termios.h... -------------------- no

"gcc -E -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux -I/usr/include -Wall -g -O2
-fPIC conftest.c -o conftest.i"
checked program was:
/* begin */
#include <termios.h>
/* end */

--------------------

I've used adept (the graphical package manager for kde) to install
libtermios-ruby, libtermios-ruby1.8, ruby1.8, ruby1.8-dev, and
libc6-dev. My mkmf.log shows that I'm missing the termios.h file. I
can see that I have a termios.h file located in /usr/include though,
from the results above, I am assuming it is not the correct one. I've
searched google for termios.h, the package contents for ubuntu for
termios.h
(http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=termios.h&searchmode=searchword&case=insensitive&version=dapper&arch=i386&page=1&...)
and I have no clue what to try next.

Any ideas? Am I missing something simple here?
Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

3 Answers

Jonathan Wallace

For future reference, this is the error one gets when gcc is not
installed. *blush*

On Oct 23, 9:10 pm, "Jonathan Wallace" <jonathan.wall...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello,
> I've just put a fresh install of kubuntu 6.06.1i on my computer. I'm
> trying to install the ruby gem termios-0.9.4, with gem 0.9.0 and ruby
> 1.8.4. I've used the following commands to no avail.
> sudo gem install termios --include-dependencies -- --build-flags
> --with-opt-dir=/usr
> sudo gem install termios --include-dependencies
>
> I receive the same error in my mkmf.log file every time. Here's the my
> mkmf.log file from one run:
> have_header: checking for termios.h... -------------------- no
>
> "gcc -E -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux -I/usr/include -Wall -g -O2
> -fPIC conftest.c -o conftest.i"
> checked program was:
> /* begin */
> #include <termios.h>
> /* end */
>
> --------------------
>
> I've used adept (the graphical package manager for kde) to install
> libtermios-ruby, libtermios-ruby1.8, ruby1.8, ruby1.8-dev, and
> libc6-dev. My mkmf.log shows that I'm missing the termios.h file. I
> can see that I have a termios.h file located in /usr/include though,
> from the results above, I am assuming it is not the correct one. I've
> searched google for termios.h, the package contents for ubuntu for
> termios.h
> (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=term......)
> and I have no clue what to try next.
>
> Any ideas? Am I missing something simple here?
> Thanks in advance,
> Jonathan

Ken Bloom

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:16:29 -0700, Jonathan Wallace wrote:

> For future reference, this is the error one gets when gcc is not
> installed. *blush*

The proper solution to this problem would thus be to install the package
"build-essential" which pulls in GCC as well as other important tools like
make and the linker.

--Ken Bloom

> On Oct 23, 9:10 pm, "Jonathan Wallace" <jonathan.wall...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I've just put a fresh install of kubuntu 6.06.1i on my computer. I'm
>> trying to install the ruby gem termios-0.9.4, with gem 0.9.0 and ruby
>> 1.8.4. I've used the following commands to no avail.
>> sudo gem install termios --include-dependencies -- --build-flags
>> --with-opt-dir=/usr
>> sudo gem install termios --include-dependencies
>>
>> I receive the same error in my mkmf.log file every time. Here's the my
>> mkmf.log file from one run:
>> have_header: checking for termios.h... -------------------- no
>>
>> "gcc -E -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux -I/usr/include -Wall -g -O2
>> -fPIC conftest.c -o conftest.i"
>> checked program was:
>> /* begin */
>> #include <termios.h>
>> /* end */
>>
>> --------------------
>>
>> I've used adept (the graphical package manager for kde) to install
>> libtermios-ruby, libtermios-ruby1.8, ruby1.8, ruby1.8-dev, and
>> libc6-dev. My mkmf.log shows that I'm missing the termios.h file. I
>> can see that I have a termios.h file located in /usr/include though,
>> from the results above, I am assuming it is not the correct one. I've
>> searched google for termios.h, the package contents for ubuntu for
>> termios.h
>> (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=term......)
>> and I have no clue what to try next.
>>
>> Any ideas? Am I missing something simple here?
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Jonathan

http://www.iit.edu...
I've added a signing subkey to my GPG key. Please update your keyring.

Dr. Zachary Smith

On Sep 26, 7:21 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> Suzanne Blom wrote:
>
> >> This is an interesting intepretation, you see, because I remember
> >> "stigmata" as being a HOLY mark. For instance, IIRC Padre Pio supposedly
> >> bore the stigmata -- the wounds equivalent to those borne by Christ. His
> >> hands and feet were said to have wounds in them as though nails had been
> >> driven through them, he had a cut in his side as though from a spear,
> >> etc. They didn't symbolize that the Padre was supposedly evil but rather
> >> the opposite, that he was especially blessed.
>
> > Yes.
> > Still, I remember being freaked out by Dick Tracy cartoons because it
> > was really clear that the bad guys were all physically marked as
> > different in some way--a lot like I am.
>
>         Well, except their physical marks reflected their names, which I
> presume isn't the case with you.

How do you know she doesn't have an enormous blom someplace?

(Sorry Suzanne - couldn't resist...)