Re: [OT:usage of uml]

Emiel van de Laar

10/23/2006 10:10:00 PM

* gaurav bagga (gaurav.v.bagga@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have just started to learn about Agile development and was told that in
> Agile very less focus is given to documentation and usage of UML related
> things is very less. Is it that its not used at all by most Agile developers
> and most of the focus is on Test Driven Development. If code generation is
> accompanied along with the tool being used for UML do people in agile go for
> UML usage. This is the case I have seen in Java world using UML extensively.
> As in Agile, time is a factor they dont get into that much details of UML.
> So I was wondering how to gauge how much important UML is to Agile world.
>
> I know this is OT but Ruby and Rails goes hand in hand with Agile so I
> have posted in both the groups so that I can get to know from people who
> really practise Agile.

I know the basics of UML and try to follow it as best as I can.
You really have to use it to be able to learn it and apply it
quickly.

My personal preference still goes to using UML with a pencil
and paper; especially when staring a project. Using a modeler
just discourages me, because I know Ruby would be much faster.
It is nice to have your model abstracted from the code, in
case you decide to implement in a different language at a
later stage.

Agile methods and modeling can mix; you just have to find the
right balance.

My favorite resource is:

http://www.agilemo...

Cheers,