Building a Ruby track for Linuxfest Northwest

pat eyler

10/23/2006 8:55:00 PM

Okay, it's time to get a Ruby track going at Linuxfest
Northwest. I've talked to the organizers and they say
they're game for it, if they can get enough quality talks.

So take an hour or two this week to figure out what you
really want to talk about an go submit a proposal using
their form at:

http://www.linuxfestnort...dxp/register.dxp?type...

Linuxfest Northwest is a regional, community oriented
open source conference. It draws presenters and attendees
from Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia. This year's
conference is being held Saturday, April 28, 2007 and
Sunday, April 29, 2007. You can read more at their website:

http://www.linuxfestnort...

This is what they have to say about presentations:
This is a call for presentations on all aspects of
Linux and open source technology. We welcome both
introductory lectures and advanced discussions on
software development. . .. We will have 90-minute
lecture slots. Presenters are asked to speak for 45
to 60 minutes and leave plenty of time for a
question and answer period afterward.

A DHCP network connection to the Internet will be
available for each presentation (please bring your
own network cables). An overhead 1024x768 60Hz video
projector may be available upon request.

(Please feel free to forward this to other appropriate
lists/usergroups/whatever.)

--
thanks,
-pate

3 Answers

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

pat eyler wrote:
> Okay, it's time to get a Ruby track going at Linuxfest
> Northwest. I've talked to the organizers and they say
> they're game for it, if they can get enough quality talks.
>
> So take an hour or two this week to figure out what you
> really want to talk about an go submit a proposal using
> their form at:
>
> http://www.linuxfestnort...dxp/register.dxp?type...
>
> Linuxfest Northwest is a regional, community oriented
> open source conference. It draws presenters and attendees
> from Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia. This year's
> conference is being held Saturday, April 28, 2007 and
> Sunday, April 29, 2007. You can read more at their website:
>
> http://www.linuxfestnort...
>
> This is what they have to say about presentations:
> This is a call for presentations on all aspects of
> Linux and open source technology. We welcome both
> introductory lectures and advanced discussions on
> software development. . .. We will have 90-minute
> lecture slots. Presenters are asked to speak for 45
> to 60 minutes and leave plenty of time for a
> question and answer period afterward.
>
> A DHCP network connection to the Internet will be
> available for each presentation (please bring your
> own network cables). An overhead 1024x768 60Hz video
> projector may be available upon request.
>
> (Please feel free to forward this to other appropriate
> lists/usergroups/whatever.)

Well, given that it's here in Portland, and given that I should be at
release 1.5 on my big project by then, I'm game. However ...

My experience has been that such conferences, as did RubyConf 2006,
usually draw *way* more proposals than there are time for. As a result,
some clues other than the freely available "calls for papers" as to what
people *really* want to hear about are welcome. Pat, are you bearing any
such clues?

:)

pat eyler

On 10/23/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> pat eyler wrote:
> > Okay, it's time to get a Ruby track going at Linuxfest
> > Northwest. I've talked to the organizers and they say
> > they're game for it, if they can get enough quality talks.
> >
> > So take an hour or two this week to figure out what you
> > really want to talk about an go submit a proposal using
> > their form at:
> >
> > http://www.linuxfestnort...dxp/register.dxp?type...
> >
> > Linuxfest Northwest is a regional, community oriented
> > open source conference. It draws presenters and attendees
> > from Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia. This year's
> > conference is being held Saturday, April 28, 2007 and
> > Sunday, April 29, 2007. You can read more at their website:
> >
> > http://www.linuxfestnort...
> >
> > This is what they have to say about presentations:
> > This is a call for presentations on all aspects of
> > Linux and open source technology. We welcome both
> > introductory lectures and advanced discussions on
> > software development. . .. We will have 90-minute
> > lecture slots. Presenters are asked to speak for 45
> > to 60 minutes and leave plenty of time for a
> > question and answer period afterward.
> >
> > A DHCP network connection to the Internet will be
> > available for each presentation (please bring your
> > own network cables). An overhead 1024x768 60Hz video
> > projector may be available upon request.
> >
> > (Please feel free to forward this to other appropriate
> > lists/usergroups/whatever.)
> >

> Well, given that it's here in Portland, and given that I should be at
> release 1.5 on my big project by then, I'm game. However ...

Well, it's not too far from Portland, it's in Bellingham, WA.

> My experience has been that such conferences, as did RubyConf 2006,
> usually draw *way* more proposals than there are time for. As a result,
> some clues other than the freely available "calls for papers" as to what
> people *really* want to hear about are welcome. Pat, are you bearing any
> such clues?

Not officially. In the past, they've looked been very interested in
beginner/getting started talks as well as talks about people doing
cool things (for widely varying definitions of cool ... I saw one guy
presenting on ripping MP3s from vinyl). Sorry I can't help you
more than that.

--
thanks,
-pate

Zed A. Shaw

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:53:38 +0900
"pat eyler" <pat.eyler@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> Well, it's not too far from Portland, it's in Bellingham, WA.

Bellingham! Oh I am so there. Now to think up a new talk.

http://www.ze...
http://mongrel.ruby...
http://www.lingr.com/room/3... -- Come get help.