ruby & activeTcl run solely from a usb flash drive

Sari Connard

10/23/2006 6:38:00 PM

All,

My goal is to run a ruby (gui/tk) from a usb flash drive.
I have ruby (for windows) and Active Tcl installed on a usb flash drive.
I would like to plug this into a windows os machine and not disrupt the
windows os machine by making any changes to environment settings, and be
able to run a ruby program using Active Tcl library for the gui. I have
been able to run a ruby program (without gui) like this, but have not
been able to make the Active Tcl library available for the gui.

When I use this line from a bat file located on the usb flash drive:
\ruby\bin\ruby.exe -I \tcl\bin -I \ruby\bin -I \tcl\lib -rlibrary
\tcl\lib\tcl8.4 -rlibrary \tcl\lib\tk8.4 test.rb

The error I get is:
\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: Permission denied -- /tcl/lib/tcl8.4 (LoadError)

Is there a way to get the Active Tcl libraries available to the usb ruby
without making any os environment changes?

Thanks, Sari

Hidetoshi NAGAI

Andrew Thompson

Sari Connard wrote:
> All,
>
> My goal is to run a ruby (gui/tk) from a usb flash drive.
> I have ruby (for windows) and Active Tcl installed on a usb flash drive.
> I would like to plug this into a windows os machine and not disrupt the
> windows os machine by making any changes to environment settings, and be
> able to run a ruby program using Active Tcl library for the gui. I have
> been able to run a ruby program (without gui) like this, but have not
> been able to make the Active Tcl library available for the gui.
>
> When I use this line from a bat file located on the usb flash drive:
> \ruby\bin\ruby.exe -I \tcl\bin -I \ruby\bin -I \tcl\lib -rlibrary
> \tcl\lib\tcl8.4 -rlibrary \tcl\lib\tk8.4 test.rb
>
> The error I get is:
> \ruby\bin\ruby.exe: Permission denied -- /tcl/lib/tcl8.4 (LoadError)
>
> Is there a way to get the Active Tcl libraries available to the usb ruby
> without making any os environment changes?
>
> Thanks, Sari

I built tcl/tk manually (ActiveTCL has distribution restrictions), built
ruby manually and stuck them all in the same directory (containing bin,
lib, etc). I then used this batch script to start ruby:

SET PATH=%CD%;%CD%\bin;%PATH%
ruby main.rb

This way, I'm insulated from other ruby/tk installs on the system and I
don't affect any existing installs on the system (the path change is
purely local). I haven't tested this from a USB drive, but it works for
a zipfile unzipped to a random place on a windows machine and run as a
restricted user.

Andrew

Dan Goodman

Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> In article
> <d460d8d7-f609-4563-a062-f06f0e138cc3@30g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
> plausible prose man <Georgefhaley@aol.com> wrote: >On Sep 26,
> 6:07 am, Joe Snodgrass <joe.s...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > There's one basic story; a guy falls in a hole. People never get
> > tired of this.
>
> Joe Gore (or was it Gores?

Gores.

I recommend _Dead Skip_

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."