Re: Non-directory, non-file "files"

Gary Wright

10/19/2006 4:11:00 PM

On Oct 19, 2006, at 12:02 PM, Gavin Kistner wrote:

> If they're not directories, and they're not files, then what the heck
> are they?

symbolic links?

Gary Wright

2 Answers

David

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 01:10:30AM +0900, gwtmp01@mac.com wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2006, at 12:02 PM, Gavin Kistner wrote:
> > If they're not directories, and they're not files, then what the heck
> > are they?
>
> symbolic links?

Only if they were broken symlinks (otherwise they would be followed to
determine type).

--
David Dooling

Robert Klemme

gwtmp01@mac.com wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2006, at 12:02 PM, Gavin Kistner wrote:
>
>> If they're not directories, and they're not files, then what the heck
>> are they?
>
> symbolic links?

Named Pipes
Char Devices
Block Devices
Sockets (Unix, TCP)
Soft Links
Virtual Devices (is this the proper name? I mean Linux's /proc, probably
just char dev with a special driver)

I cannot think of more off the top of my head but there are probably.

Depends on the OS of course (I could not see the original post via news,
Gateway issues again?)

robert