Re: Is anyone using Ruby for 24/7 financial applications?

Kent Sibilev

10/19/2006 3:15:00 PM

On 10/18/06, John Baylor <john.baylor@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know a lot of people are using ruby on rails for web apps, usually with
> Apache as the underlying app, but I don't know of anyone using ruby itself
> for a 24/7 application. Yes, some people are using webrick as their web
> server but they don't necessarily lose $$$ if their personal web site goes
> down.
>
> I'm trying to talk my company into using ruby in a remote environment (a
> merchant's store) where it has to be solidly up 24/7 or the merchant will
> stop using our product. We should be able to SSH to the box if we need to
> but we'd rather not need to. While I have confidence that ruby can run in
> that environment, management would like to hear that someone else is already
> using it for a similar purpose. Are they?

The Ruby itself is very stable. I have several web applications that
run for months without restarting. But also I'd like to note that no
programming language can guarantee 24/7 uptime for your application.
You still have to implement the high-availability solution which would
require the hardware and network redundancy. I have a very positive
experience with projects such as Linux HA and Wakamole that greatly
simplify the implementation of high-availability solution.

--
Kent
---

1 Answer