Re: Is anyone using Ruby for 24/7 financial applications?

Dido Sevilla

10/19/2006 6:28:00 AM

On 10/19/06, John Baylor <john.baylor@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to talk my company into using ruby in a remote environment (a
> merchant's store) where it has to be solidly up 24/7 or the merchant will
> stop using our product. We should be able to SSH to the box if we need to
> but we'd rather not need to. While I have confidence that ruby can run in
> that environment, management would like to hear that someone else is already
> using it for a similar purpose. Are they?

Well, we *are* using Ruby itself at the core of several
mission-critical applications that must be up 24x7x365 and so far it
hasn't really failed us. The only problems we have encountered are
scalability concerns with particular applications that are
CPU-intensive (some careful coding of C extensions helped with that),
but then if your application is of that sort then you wouldn't use
Ruby for that (yet).