ActionWebService deprecated?

Christopher Brown

10/19/2006 5:39:00 AM

4 Answers

Kent Sibilev

On 10/19/06, Christopher Brown <cbrown@atbash.net> wrote:
> Hey all,
> I thought I remembered seeing a comment about ActionWebService being
> deprecated in favor of something else in the latest Rails Edge.
> Is that true or did I dream it? What is the ongoing story for web
> services in Ruby? Can anyone comment about such things as SOAP
> request authentication and support for WS-Security?
> Last I looked, there were no pure Ruby XML canonicalization
> libraries, which kinda foils that plan.

Have a look at the wss4r project at rubyforge.org.
I haven't used it myself, so I can't comment.

--
Kent
---

Roland Schmitt

Christopher Brown schrieb:

look at www.rubyforge.org/projects/wss4r for a pure-ruby WS-Security
implementation. It contains a rudiment xml canonicalizer. The problems
with the canonicalizer are more or less problems with the underlying xml
parser, REXML in this case.

I think first we need other xml parsers (perhaps libXML?) before we can
think of WS-Security.

Regards,
Roland

Christopher Brown

> look at www.rubyforge.org/projects/wss4r for a pure-ruby WS-
> Security implementation. It contains a rudiment xml canonicalizer.
> The problems with the canonicalizer are more or less problems with
> the underlying xml parser, REXML in this case.
>
> I think first we need other xml parsers (perhaps libXML?) before we
> can think of WS-Security.
>

> Regards,
> Roland

Roland Schmitt

Christopher Brown schrieb:

>> look at www.rubyforge.org/projects/wss4r for a pure-ruby WS-Security
>> implementation. It contains a rudiment xml canonicalizer. The problems
>> with the canonicalizer are more or less problems with the underlying
>> xml parser, REXML in this case.
>>
>> I think first we need other xml parsers (perhaps libXML?) before we
>> can think of WS-Security.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Roland

i think the shortest road to XML/WS-security in ruby would be a binding
to something like xmlsec (www.aleksey.com/xmlsec).
But using native libraries for everything is perhaps not the right way.

Regards,
Roland