Re: Is anyone using Ruby for 24/7 financial applications?

Gregory Brown

10/19/2006 2:14:00 AM

On 10/18/06, John Baylor <john.baylor@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to talk my company into using ruby in a remote environment (a
> merchant's store) where it has to be solidly up 24/7 or the merchant will
> stop using our product. We should be able to SSH to the box if we need to
> but we'd rather not need to. While I have confidence that ruby can run in
> that environment, management would like to hear that someone else is already
> using it for a similar purpose. Are they?

We run a number of scheduled scripts and usually only fail due to
external problems. But any sort of mission critical software needs
some serious analysis of the particular situation. It's not something
that is simply a 'yes it is suitable' or 'no it is not' question.

I think that people will be able to certainly share some useful info
if you give a bit of background on what specific tasks you'll be
dealing with.