Re: Is anyone using Ruby for 24/7 financial applications?

Jamey Cribbs

10/19/2006 1:19:00 AM

John Baylor wrote:
> I know a lot of people are using ruby on rails for web apps, usually with
> Apache as the underlying app, but I don't know of anyone using ruby
> itself
> for a 24/7 application. Yes, some people are using webrick as their web
> server but they don't necessarily lose $$$ if their personal web site
> goes
> down.
>
> I'm trying to talk my company into using ruby in a remote environment (a
> merchant's store) where it has to be solidly up 24/7 or the merchant will
> stop using our product. We should be able to SSH to the box if we
> need to
> but we'd rather not need to. While I have confidence that ruby can
> run in
> that environment, management would like to hear that someone else is
> already
> using it for a similar purpose. Are they?
What part of Ruby needs to be up 24/7? Webrick? Or is it just a ruby
script that needs to run correctly all the time?

I don't work in Finance, but I have dozens of Ruby scripts, and apps
that run at my company throughout the day.

Speaking of webrick, I have a small client/server Windows-gui database
app written completely in ruby and ruby-gtk (everything is written in
ruby: gui-frontend, backend logic, even the dbms) and, except for about
5 minutes of scheduled downtime every morning to compress the database,
it runs 24/7 and has been for several months. It uses webrick for it's
client-server communications.

HTH,

Jamey Cribbs

2 Answers

Jamey Cribbs

Jamey Cribbs wrote:
> morning to compress the database, it runs 24/7 and has been for
> several months. It uses webrick for it's client-server communications.
Oops, meant to say it uses Drb for it's client-server communications.

greg.kujawa

Where I work I have about a dozen Ruby scripts running as scheduled
jobs that interface with the accounting/finance environment. The only
reason I've ever had to restart the jobs is due to a server
configuration spec I needed to update in the scripts. Other than that,
rock solid. The only thing I've noticed (likely due to coding
incompetence on my part) is I have some syslog monitoring scripts that
over time consume lots of RAM. After a couple of weeks I see that they
are getting a bit out of hand. But nothing leading to downtime, host
resource issues, etc.

So far I have been able to leverage Ruby to offer a GUI employee survey
app, a Rails order management app, a mobile CRM app, and tons of admin
scripts that make my job so much easier. Since that's the primary
language here there is some consistency and standardization.