Another topic for RubyConf

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

10/18/2006 2:31:00 PM

As if the folks at RubyConf don't have enough to talk about already,
here's another topic. The Lisp community has this famous quotation:

Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."

Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."

So ... fill in the following:

Rubyist: "Buddha is ..."

Pythonista: "Buddha is ..."

Java: "Buddha is ..."

Smalltalk: "Buddha is ..."

I'll even contribute one:

Forth: ": BUDDHA POLISH REVERSE IS ;"

:)

22 Answers

Ara.T.Howard

curtis.schofield@gmail.com

> Rubyist: "Buddha is ..."

Buddha is nil.to_a

Keith Fahlgren

On 10/18/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> As if the folks at RubyConf don't have enough to talk about already,
> here's another topic. The Lisp community has this famous quotation:
>

> Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."

Shouldn't this be (is Budda (small clean serious)) ?

> Rubyist: "Buddha is ..."
Buddha.is_a?(:Buddha) => true # not proper duck typing, I know

> Pythonista: "Buddha is ..."
Buddha
is
whitespace-loving
being

> Java: "Buddha is ..."

public class BuddhaFactory extends DietyFactory {
public void makeBuddha() throws Exception {

Keith

Ara.T.Howard

Norgg

> Rubyist: "Buddha is ..."
class Buddha
def self.is(x,y)true end
end
def small;end
def clean;end
def serious;true end

John Turner wrote:
>> Rubyist: "Buddha is ..."
> class Buddha
> def self.is(x,y)true end
> end
> def small;end
> def clean;end
> def serious;true end
> Buddha.is small, clean and serious
Hmm, actually:

class Buddha
def self.is(x,y)true end
end
small, clean, serious = [true]*3
Buddha.is small, clean and serious

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

On Oct 18, 2006, at 8:37 AM, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Curtis Schofield wrote:
>

>>> Rubyist: "Buddha is ..."
>>
>> Buddha is nil.to_a
>
> nice. that inspired
>
> super(self) if [ :buddha ].empty?

Buddha is 1.0/0

-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Daniel Berger

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> As if the folks at RubyConf don't have enough to talk about already,
> here's another topic. The Lisp community has this famous quotation:
>

> Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
>
> Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."
>
> So ... fill in the following:
>
> Rubyist: "Buddha is ..."
>
> Pythonista: "Buddha is ..."
>
> Java: "Buddha is ..."
>
> Smalltalk: "Buddha is ..."
>
> I'll even contribute one:
>
> Forth: ": BUDDHA POLISH REVERSE IS ;"
>
> :)

3.times{ Buddha.is_having?("stroke") }

- Dan

curtis.schofield@gmail.com

On 18-Oct-06, at 9:37 AM, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Curtis Schofield wrote:
>

>>> Rubyist: "Buddha is ..."
>>
>> Buddha is nil.to_a
>
> nice. that inspired
>
> super(self) if [ :buddha ].empty?

self

David Vallner

Keith Fahlgren wrote:
>> Java: "Buddha is ..."
>
> public class BuddhaFactory extends DietyFactory {
> public void makeBuddha() throws Exception {

Shh. A makeBuddha() method really shouldn't be void ;;P

Now, all that's needed is to have an agent bytecode-enhance my classes
at load-time to implement the BuddhaAware interface for [insert IoC
container du jour here] to autowire the factory to them for all my
objects to achieve nirvana without the source code knowing!

Java metaprogramming Zen. The sheer scariness of it makes me admire
people like Geert Bevin a little more, even if he is a troll. And recall
how much more sense eval() makes. (Yes, it's scary enough to make me say
-that- outrageous nonsense ;P)

Also, I'm surprised everyone missed the obvious:
Python: "Buddha is bloody albatross flavoured."

David Vallner