Ruby Quiz - Degree of Difficulty

Mark Woodward

10/17/2006 12:14:00 PM

Hi all,

Whilst on a Uni break I thought I'd try and attack some of the Ruby
quizzes. There's no way I'd be able to do the latest quiz but what I
thought I'd do is go over some of the previous ones and see how I'd go. I
could then peak at the answers if I get stumped.

What I'd like though is some indication of which are the 'easier' ones.

Are there any? ;-)

This is probably directed towards James, but if you're a (semi) newbie and
you've attempted some of the quizzes which did you find easiest?

cheers,

--
Mark

20 Answers

Tom Armitage

http://rubyquiz.com/q...

is a nice easy one that lets you have some fun with web APIs. Well;
doing it with zipcodes is dead easy. Doing it by country is a little
more challenging. Basically, you can make the challenge harder as you
go.

http://rubyquiz.com/q...

is nice too, and there are LOADS of ways to approach it, some more
rubyish than others.

I say these two, because I can definitely do both of them, and I'm not
the greatest programmer at all.

On 17/10/06, Mark Woodward <markonlinux@internode.on.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Whilst on a Uni break I thought I'd try and attack some of the Ruby
> quizzes. There's no way I'd be able to do the latest quiz but what I
> thought I'd do is go over some of the previous ones and see how I'd go. I
> could then peak at the answers if I get stumped.
>
> What I'd like though is some indication of which are the 'easier' ones.
>
> Are there any? ;-)
>
> This is probably directed towards James, but if you're a (semi) newbie and
> you've attempted some of the quizzes which did you find easiest?
>

> cheers,
>

> --
> Mark

Tom Armitage

Also: in general, the more solutions a quiz has, the easier it is.
That's not always true, but it's a good rule of thumb.

On 17/10/06, Mark Woodward <markonlinux@internode.on.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Whilst on a Uni break I thought I'd try and attack some of the Ruby
> quizzes. There's no way I'd be able to do the latest quiz but what I
> thought I'd do is go over some of the previous ones and see how I'd go. I
> could then peak at the answers if I get stumped.
>
> What I'd like though is some indication of which are the 'easier' ones.
>
> Are there any? ;-)
>
> This is probably directed towards James, but if you're a (semi) newbie and
> you've attempted some of the quizzes which did you find easiest?
>

> cheers,
>

> --
> Mark

Tomasz Wegrzanowski

On 10/17/06, Mark Woodward <markonlinux@internode.on.net> wrote:
> Whilst on a Uni break I thought I'd try and attack some of the Ruby
> quizzes. There's no way I'd be able to do the latest quiz but what I
> thought I'd do is go over some of the previous ones and see how I'd go. I
> could then peak at the answers if I get stumped.
>
> What I'd like though is some indication of which are the 'easier' ones.

These are probably not easy, but most enlightening of all.

http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...
Metaprogramming koans. Not that hard, very useful.

http://onestepback.org/articles/callcc/throw_catch/continuation_koa...
callcc koans. This one is seriously not easy, but you cannot achieve
higher states of awareness if you don't do it :-)

--
Tomasz Wegrzanowski [ http://t-a-w.blo... ]

Martin Coxall

> http://onestepback.org/articles/callcc/throw_catch/continuation_koa...
> callcc koans. This one is seriously not easy, but you cannot achieve
> higher states of awareness if you don't do it :-)

It is, of course, vitally important to achieve enlightenment, for only
then will you realise that it is beyond your grasp. And become a
Python programmer.

Martin

Jon Egil Strand

James Gray

On Oct 17, 2006, at 7:46 AM, Tom Armitage wrote:

> Also: in general, the more solutions a quiz has, the easier it is.
> That's not always true, but it's a good rule of thumb.

Exactly.

Here are some of the quizzes I think are easy:

http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...

http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...

http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...

Just do the check option for the problem above, unless you want a bit
more of a challenge.

http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...

There's a movie of me solving the about, linked from the FAQ. I look
real dumb in it, so it's a confidence booster. ;)

http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...

James Edward Gray II

Louis J Scoras

On 10/17/06, Jon Egil Strand <jes@luretanker.no> wrote:

> A good indication is the number of quiz-solutions. The 'easier' ones are
> usually more popular.

I agree. This is probably a pretty good starting metric.
Consequently, be sure to check out the quiz for pretty printing
pascal's triangle (#84). If I recall correctly, that problem was the
most popular quiz to date.

--
Lou.

Mark Woodward

Hi James,

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:23:40 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2006, at 7:46 AM, Tom Armitage wrote:
>
>> Also: in general, the more solutions a quiz has, the easier it is.
>> That's not always true, but it's a good rule of thumb.
>
> Exactly.
>
> Here are some of the quizzes I think are easy:
>
> http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...
>
> http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...
>
> http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...
>
> Just do the check option for the problem above, unless you want a bit
> more of a challenge.
>
> http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...
>
> There's a movie of me solving the about, linked from the FAQ. I look
> real dumb in it, so it's a confidence booster. ;)

I'm watching it as we speak ;-)(just paused it to write this).
I'll start with that I think as it's also in your book.

> http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...
>
> James Edward Gray II

PS - Textmate looks impressive!!

cheers,

--
Mark

James Gray

On Oct 17, 2006, at 8:35 AM, Mark Woodward wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:23:40 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>
>> http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...
>>
>> There's a movie of me solving the about, linked from the FAQ. I look
>> real dumb in it, so it's a confidence booster. ;)
>
> I'm watching it as we speak ;-)(just paused it to write this).
> I'll start with that I think as it's also in your book.

I didn't understand that last sentence 100%, but just to be clear pp
Pascal is not in the Ruby Quiz book. :( It came too late.

However, since we're talking about the book, I tried to rearrange the
quizzes in there from easiest to hardest. Obviously that's pretty
subjective, but the quizzes at the front of the book shouldn't be too
tough.

James Edward Gray II

Mark Woodward

Hi James,

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:51:26 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2006, at 8:35 AM, Mark Woodward wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:23:40 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...
>>>
>>> There's a movie of me solving the about, linked from the FAQ. I look
>>> real dumb in it, so it's a confidence booster. ;)
>>
>> I'm watching it as we speak ;-)(just paused it to write this).
>> I'll start with that I think as it's also in your book.
>
> I didn't understand that last sentence 100%, but just to be clear pp
> Pascal is not in the Ruby Quiz book. :( It came too late.

No it's not ;-) Sorry for the confusion.

> However, since we're talking about the book, I tried to rearrange the
> quizzes in there from easiest to hardest. Obviously that's pretty
> subjective, but the quizzes at the front of the book shouldn't be too
> tough.

Want a bet ;-)

Just as an aside I noticed you started with Unit Tests in the video. I
think I know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway. Should I do this for
*all* quizzes? ie is it a good habit to get into? Not unit testing per se
but building the test(s) *first*?

> James Edward Gray II

thanks again,

--