ruby friendly MOM's

snacktime

10/15/2006 11:20:00 PM

I've spent a good deal of time looking for a ruby/python/perl friendly
open source reliable messaging system without much luck. I know
Francis is working on an AMQP based system, and I've taken a look at
reliable-message but that's strictly ruby. ActiveMQ seemed very nice
until I found out that the main connectivity to it from languages
other than java (stomp) is currently broken, and it's overall
stability seems to be a question. Xmlblaster looks fairly good and
supports xmlrpc, corba, and even email along with it's own binary
protocol. The rest that I found such as Mantaray, OpenJMS, and JORAM
either didn't have connectivity outside of java, or had other
limitations such as no durable consumers, etc..

I've also taken a look at just using XMPP, but all the activity around
is it really centered on IM.

Specifically what I need is a durable, reliable publisher/consumer
message queue that also has either some type of distributed broker
setup or even a master/slave architecture. With the emphasis being on
reliable.

Anything out there that I missed?

Chris

5 Answers

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

snacktime wrote:
> I've spent a good deal of time looking for a ruby/python/perl friendly
> open source reliable messaging system without much luck. I know
> Francis is working on an AMQP based system, and I've taken a look at
> reliable-message but that's strictly ruby. ActiveMQ seemed very nice
> until I found out that the main connectivity to it from languages
> other than java (stomp) is currently broken, and it's overall
> stability seems to be a question. Xmlblaster looks fairly good and
> supports xmlrpc, corba, and even email along with it's own binary
> protocol. The rest that I found such as Mantaray, OpenJMS, and JORAM
> either didn't have connectivity outside of java, or had other
> limitations such as no durable consumers, etc..
>
> I've also taken a look at just using XMPP, but all the activity around
> is it really centered on IM.
>
> Specifically what I need is a durable, reliable publisher/consumer
> message queue that also has either some type of distributed broker
> setup or even a master/slave architecture. With the emphasis being on
> reliable.
>
> Anything out there that I missed?
>
> Chris

Could this be hacked around the Erlang run-time, which is written in C
IIRC? It's open source, after all. :)

Ara.T.Howard

snacktime

> google 'spread'
>
> think it's http:/spread.org/

I like spread, but it doesn't have durable messages and has limits on
message size last I checked.

Chris

snacktime

> What are your interoperability requirements? Meaning, what kind of non-Ruby
> systems do you need to work with? Do you need something with a JMS
> interface?

Just perl and ruby. What I'd really like is any kind of messaging
oriented protocol that's easy to implement. Even something like XMPP
would work fine.

Chris

snacktime

> That's an interesting way to state it, given that the MOM world has always
> been torn between products that are driven by wire-protocols or by APIs,
> with the latter being the traditional winners. (AMQP tries to square the
> circle by specifying both, which creates its own set of headaches.) How
> would you feel about a RESTful approach?

As long as the perl/ruby http libraries can handle pipelining I don't
mind a REST api. I'm assuming most of them do, but maybe I shouldn't.

Chris