Re: rubyforge.org still down ?

Tom Copeland

10/11/2006 6:28:00 PM

> Cool, yup, right on. I'm going to take rubyforge down around
> 1 PM or so for a few minutes to disable an extra NIC, check
> the BIOS error logs, etc. Maybe that'll yield some good
> info, we'll see...

Second NIC disabled in BIOS; that's one less hardware component.
RubyForge is back online, we'll see what happens...

Yours,

Tom

12 Answers

Thiago Jackiw

On 10/11/06, Tom Copeland <tom@infoether.com> wrote:
> > Cool, yup, right on. I'm going to take rubyforge down around
> > 1 PM or so for a few minutes to disable an extra NIC, check
> > the BIOS error logs, etc. Maybe that'll yield some good
> > info, we'll see...
>
> Second NIC disabled in BIOS; that's one less hardware component.
> RubyForge is back online, we'll see what happens...
>
> Yours,
>
> Tom

Tom, just a suggestion, what do you think if the community came
together donating some money so you could fix the server, upgrade it
or even get a better one for rubyforge? I'm pretty sure you'd have the
support from rubyforge users.

Let us know.

Thiago

Austin Ziegler

On 10/11/06, Thiago Jackiw <tjackiw@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom, just a suggestion, what do you think if the community came
> together donating some money so you could fix the server, upgrade it
> or even get a better one for rubyforge? I'm pretty sure you'd have the
> support from rubyforge users.

I think people aren't quite reading what Tom is saying. The hardware
behind RubyForge is quality hardware and does not need replacement or
upgrading. It's just exceeded the MBTF for some portion of it. The
biggest thing people need to do is Calm Down a little -- RubyForge
will be back on-line as soon as possible.

Now, if GForge (the software behind RubyForge) can do failover
clustering, then it may be worthwhile looking toward diversifying the
RubyForge hardware environment (DB on one machine, GForge frontend on
another; failover to the DB machine if necessary) or something like
that.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/

Tom Copeland

> Tom, just a suggestion, what do you think if the community
> came together donating some money so you could fix the
> server, upgrade it or even get a better one for rubyforge?
> I'm pretty sure you'd have the support from rubyforge users.

Hi Thiago -

Thanks! But RubyCentral has been great about providing financial
support for RubyForge, and since gifts to them are tax-deductible that's
where the money should go.

The current hardware is powerful enough to handle the load, it's just
that something's flaking out on us. We're in troubleshooting mode now,
and if we can figure out that we need to buy something we'll go to
RubyCentral and ask them for the funds. If they need money I daresay
David or Chad or Rich will post a note here.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Copeland

> Now, if GForge (the software behind RubyForge) can do
> failover clustering, then it may be worthwhile looking toward
> diversifying the RubyForge hardware environment (DB on one
> machine, GForge frontend on another; failover to the DB
> machine if necessary) or something like that.

Yup, right on. I've hesitated to split things out on different machines
because of the complexity (and more admin work for me), but maybe it's
time to think about moving in that direction...

Yours,

Tom

dblack

Ara.T.Howard

Alex Young

ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
>
>> And I'm not averse to using any old excuse to mention that we accept
>> donations on an ongoing basis -- both for general Ruby Central
>> initiatives
>> and support, and for sponsorship of specific aspects of RubyConf -- here:
>> http://www.rubycentral....
>
> i answer quite a few questions on comp.lang.ruby/ruby-talk for free.
> lately
> quite a few people have started contacting me directly and offered to
> pay to
> get quick answers to questions. so far i haven't taken anyone up on it.
>
> however, i'll mention here, for posterity, that i would prioritize any
> question/problem/bug emailed to me directly (while still cc'ing
> ruby-talk of
> any code) if the sender gave a donation, no matter how small, to
> rubycentral.
>
> i wonder if something more organized along these lines might work out:
>
> rubycentral donation => quick ruby help

I'd like to be considered for this, too, but I'm sure my expertise isn't
in the same state, let alone ball-park :-) That being said, wouldn't a
list of the contact details of like-minded individuals posted somewhere
prominent (say, on ruby-lang.org) be a good thing - or at least a step
in the right direction?

--
Alex

Alex LeDonne

On 10/11/06, Alex Young <alex@blackkettle.org> wrote:
> ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:
> > i answer quite a few questions on comp.lang.ruby/ruby-talk for free.
> > lately
> > quite a few people have started contacting me directly and offered to
> > pay to
> > get quick answers to questions. so far i haven't taken anyone up on it.
> >
> > however, i'll mention here, for posterity, that i would prioritize any
> > question/problem/bug emailed to me directly (while still cc'ing
> > ruby-talk of
> > any code) if the sender gave a donation, no matter how small, to
> > rubycentral.
> >
> > i wonder if something more organized along these lines might work out:
> >
> > rubycentral donation => quick ruby help
> >

> I'd like to be considered for this, too, but I'm sure my expertise isn't
> in the same state, let alone ball-park :-) That being said, wouldn't a
> list of the contact details of like-minded individuals posted somewhere
> prominent (say, on ruby-lang.org) be a good thing - or at least a step
> in the right direction?

I saw something like this in the MythTV wiki, so I started a stub page
in RubyGarden at
http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/He...

If it takes off, it can be linked from more prominent locations. :)

-A

Alex LeDonne

On 10/12/06, Alex LeDonne <aledonne.listmail@gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw something like this in the MythTV wiki, so I started a stub page
> in RubyGarden at
> http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/He...
>
> If it takes off, it can be linked from more prominent locations. :)

In the credit where due category, allow me to correct myself. I
actually saw this concept in the XBox-Linux wiki:

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Users_...

Gregory Brown

On 10/11/06, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov <ara.t.howard@noaa.gov> wrote:

> i answer quite a few questions on comp.lang.ruby/ruby-talk for free. lately
> quite a few people have started contacting me directly and offered to pay to
> get quick answers to questions. so far i haven't taken anyone up on it.
>
> however, i'll mention here, for posterity, that i would prioritize any
> question/problem/bug emailed to me directly (while still cc'ing ruby-talk of
> any code) if the sender gave a donation, no matter how small, to rubycentral.
>
> i wonder if something more organized along these lines might work out:
>
> rubycentral donation => quick ruby help

Wow ara, I really like this idea! Perhaps a forum could be made in
which people pledge money for help, and those interested in helping
can see this.

It would be a true donation system though, so it's not like we'd
suggest how much people should donate or necessarily put more effort
in based on dollar amount. And there will be no certain expectations
of quality, just that people would be willing to put high priority
towards these messages. This might just be something where the users
of this list agree to read up on it regularly, or read it before going
through ruby-talk, or whatever makes sense to them individually.