How to obtain the dimensions of a video file?

Bira

10/11/2006 5:20:00 PM

Hello,

I've posted a few messages on this list before, but this is my first
real question :).

I've written a script, using Rake, to automate the conversion of a
bunch of AVI video files to a DVD image I can burn and watch on my TV.
It's working OK so far, and I promise I'll post the code as soon as I
get home from work :).

The problem I have is that this rakefile still requires some manual
tweaking before every execution, because it makes some calculations
based on the original video's resolution (i.e., 640x480, 704x396,
etc.), and must also use slightly different parameters if the original
video is widescreen.

So, is there a Ruby library or some Linux utility I can use from Ruby
that can find out the domensions of a video file? That would allow me
to make the process completely automated.

--
Bira
http://compexplicita.bl...

2 Answers

Carl Woodward

Hi Bira,

Look at rmovie. It uses ffmpeg and can do that for you.

Cheers,
Carl.

--
Carl Woodward
0412218979

Bira

On 10/11/06, Carl Woodward <cjwoodward@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bira,
>
> Look at rmovie. It uses ffmpeg and can do that for you.
>
> Cheers,
> Carl.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

--