Booksales @Rubyconf?

Tim Bray

10/10/2006 9:20:00 PM

Will someone be setting up a bookstand at Rubyconf? I see this at
quite a few tech conferences. If so, I'd appreciate a pointer to
whoever's doing it. -Tim

15 Answers

Chad Fowler

On 10/10/06, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:
> Will someone be setting up a bookstand at Rubyconf? I see this at
> quite a few tech conferences. If so, I'd appreciate a pointer to
> whoever's doing it. -Tim

Hi Tim. Nothing planned as of now, no. We tried to get something set
up for RailsConf and it fell through. RubyConf being smaller, we
didn't try.

--
Chad Fowler
http://chad...

Hal E. Fulton

Tim Bray wrote:
> Will someone be setting up a bookstand at Rubyconf? I see this at
> quite a few tech conferences. If so, I'd appreciate a pointer to
> whoever's doing it. -Tim

I had hoped/believed there would be sales there, but it appears
there will not.

Maybe a few freebies...

Hal

pat eyler

On 10/10/06, Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> wrote:
> Tim Bray wrote:
> > Will someone be setting up a bookstand at Rubyconf? I see this at
> > quite a few tech conferences. If so, I'd appreciate a pointer to
> > whoever's doing it. -Tim
> >

> I had hoped/believed there would be sales there, but it appears
> there will not.

Any chance SoftPro might be interested (even at this late date)?
They are local, and have been interested in things like this in the
past.

--
thanks,
-pate

Hal E. Fulton

pat eyler wrote:

> Any chance SoftPro might be interested (even at this late date)?
> They are local, and have been interested in things like this in the
> past.

I doubt it... Addison-Wesley wanted to sell, but they told me
David had logistical problems with it.

Hal

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Hal Fulton wrote:
> pat eyler wrote:
>>
>> Any chance SoftPro might be interested (even at this late date)?
>> They are local, and have been interested in things like this in the
>> past.
>>

> I doubt it... Addison-Wesley wanted to sell, but they told me
> David had logistical problems with it.
>

> Hal

It actually doesn't sound like a great sales opportunity. First of all,
there are only about 200 potential customers. Second, they're all
presumably interested enough in Ruby that they *have* all the Ruby books
they want already.

Matt Lawrence

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Matt Lawrence wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>
>> It actually doesn't sound like a great sales opportunity. First of all,
>> there are only about 200 potential customers. Second, they're all
>> presumably interested enough in Ruby that they *have* all the Ruby books
>> they want already.
>
> No I don't! Besides, a number of the other PragProg titles are also
> very good.
>
> -- Matt
> It's not what I know that counts. It's what I can remember in time to use.

Yeah, and I've got most of *them* too :)

Hal E. Fulton

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> It actually doesn't sound like a great sales opportunity. First of all,
> there are only about 200 potential customers. Second, they're all
> presumably interested enough in Ruby that they *have* all the Ruby books
> they want already.

It ended up being closer to 340, I think. And none of those
have the 2nd edition. ;) Well, except me.

There will still be a rep there, though.

Hal

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Hal Fulton wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>>
>> It actually doesn't sound like a great sales opportunity. First of all,
>> there are only about 200 potential customers. Second, they're all
>> presumably interested enough in Ruby that they *have* all the Ruby books
>> they want already.
>>

> It ended up being closer to 340, I think. And none of those
> have the 2nd edition. ;) Well, except me.
>
> There will still be a rep there, though.
>

> Hal

I was just gonna ask you about that -- when will it be available, and is
it PDF-friendly?

Hal E. Fulton

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> I was just gonna ask you about that -- when will it be available, and is
> it PDF-friendly?

Should be available within two weeks.

There should be some at the conf, but I think they're shipped
directly from the printer. So blow on them to make sure the
ink is dry.

As for PDF-friendly -- I think you can get it through Safari.
Beyond that, I don't know.

I'm a bit nervous about its debut, simply because my eyes were
opened with the first edition. Though I myself have made
multiple passes over each page, though it all has been pored
over by two (sometimes more) tech editors, though it has all
gone by the copyeditor and the development editor and reviewers
and probably two or three people I don't know about, there *still*
will be mistakes in it. I hate that.

Hal